Why do they put all those OFF ROAD USE ONLY stickers on ATVs, UTV's & SXS's?

https://www.miningjournal.net/news/region/2021/09/one-dead-after-atv accident/

Can't recall seeing any DOT approved one's the last time I was at a dealership.

They must work great for bar hopping though as that's where I see the majority of them locally and traveling back and forth to the UP 

• Gold Member
42 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

wish we could plate them easily here.  previous owner of mine had it plated as that town was easy.  would make it so much better when you want to take the road home.  i'd have to give up the 10 psi life though,  bit sketchy at high speeds.  

I see them around here every now and then plated up on the road. Someone told me you just have to get a ag plate for it I don’t know if that’s true or not though.

We just need an ag triangle around here. North we are allowed on the side of the road with a current trail permit with the exception of "M" roads (state highway). Only time we've ever been on pavement is for a short time to get from a trail or dirt road to a designated watering hole.

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

I see them around here every now and then plated up on the road. Someone told me you just have to get a ag plate for it I don’t know if that’s true or not though.

Ag plates have limits on how far it can be from registered address. I beleive it's 40 miles. But an ag plate does do away with damn near every motor vehicle law there is . 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Ag plates have limits on how far it can be from registered address. I beleive it's 40 miles. But an ag plate does do away with damn near every motor vehicle law there is . 

Yes They have some kind of mileage limit to them. Sounds like that’s the answer then if your somewhat close to trails. I know there’s a handful of smaller loop system trails in this area so ag plate probably be pretty sweet to have. Even if you could say drive up 93 to Pittsburg in a sxs I wouldn’t want to do that but a 10-15 miles to get to some riding vs having to trailer sure.

I see a lot of SxS running around my neighborhood in MN , lot of the local people have radial car tires on them and a big tool box in the back that's just a cooler in disguise. I asked one of them how do those tires work for off road use, he said why would I want to do that, I figured off roading would really get his LED lights dirty Lol

• Haha 1

Here most roads are routes and you can legally ride them, however there are low speed limits for them and I fear Townships will eventually make the roads illegal again to ride if they keep going way over the posted speeds like many are doing.

13 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

some towns will issue others will not.   I don't want to drive it around my town but I'd love to shortcut some of the stuff in Maine sometimes.  rode 2 miles of 2 lane state highway the other day because a trail literally just dead ended and no way was i running 30 miles around the gap

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sled_Hed said:

Most county and township roads are fair game around here as long as you have them current on registration. 

Same here.   No need to change anything.  All that's needed is working headlight, taillight, brake lights, seatbelts and an orange flag at least 6ft off the ground.  No seating that's not under a roll cage.  Can't ride after sunset.  Not been many accidents at all on the roadways.....yet.  

Pretty much the same for the trails up at the cabin in Vilas county.   

16 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

https://www.miningjournal.net/news/region/2021/09/one-dead-after-atv accident/

Can't recall seeing any DOT approved one's the last time I was at a dealership.

They must work great for bar hopping though as that's where I see the majority of them locally and traveling back and forth to the UP 

Why do you care so much if a group of side by siders stop at bars?  You really think it's any different than the majority of snowmobilers we see every season?  If anything, they're putting themselves in more danger by being on the roads since it's that much easier to get pulled over (trust me, I have buddies who've been pulled over multiple times - both locally AND up north).  People do have the ability to be responsible, believe it or not.  Get your tampon dislodged from your gash for Christ sake.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Why do you care so much if a group of side by siders stop at bars?  You really think it's any different than the majority of snowmobilers we see every season?  If anything, they're putting themselves in more danger by being on the roads since it's that much easier to get pulled over (trust me, I have buddies who've been pulled over multiple times - both locally AND up north).  People do have the ability to be responsible, believe it or not.  Get your tampon dislodged from your gash for Christ sake.  

Harley/Bike rides and car cruises right in that group.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bontz said:

Because I've nearly creamed one with my truck from behind because they didn't have any mirrors and cut sharp left across the road from the white line to the opposing ditch line.  Full on ABS activated braking. 

They had just left a bar and were sloppy driving like shit, so my wife (the rational one) said give them room, which I did.  Then it happened.  She was as or more pissed about it than I was as the dog went sliding into the back seat and the kids had belt marks on them from braking and swerving. 

The idiots never knew they were almost creamed as they tore off down the trail past the ditch.

Imagine if I'd hit them...

Imagine how this guy in the dump truck and his minor passenger feel, right now.  

This isn't the only encounter with an atv/utv/sxs on public roads I've almost had.  So yes, I've got an issue with vehicles that aren't DOT compliant being driven bar to bar (which is where you see them congregated) in my travels. 

Snowmobiles are primarily ridden on trails which are predominantly on private property, not public fucking roads.  

I don't hate the machines at all, in their intended environment.

Savvy?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Because I've nearly creamed one with my truck from behind because they didn't have any mirrors and cut sharp left across the road from the white line to the opposing ditch line.  Full on ABS activated braking. 

They had just left a bar and were sloppy driving like shit, so my wife (the rational one) said give them room, which I did.  Then it happened.  She was as or more pissed about than I was as the dog went sliding into the back seat and the kids had belt marks on them.  

The idiots never knew they were almost creamed as they tore off down the trail past the ditch.

Imagine if I'd hit them...

Imagine how this guy in the dump truck and his minor passenger feel, right now.  

This isn't the only encounter with an atv/utv/sxs on public roads.  So yes, I've got an issue with vehicles that aren't DOT compliant being driven bar to bar (which is where you see them congregated) in my travels. 

Snowmobiles are primarily ridden on trails which are predominantly on private property, not public fucking roads.  

Savvy?

Same could be said for farmers driving their tractors down the road. I've had many close calls with them but i just get on with my day and don't worry about it

4 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Same could be said for farmers driving their tractors down the road. I've had many close calls with them but i just get on with my day and don't worry about it

Same could be said of cyclists or joggers.

Can't recall the last time I went past a bar in Northern Wisconsin or upper Michigan and seen a parking lot full of tractors, cyclists or joggers though.

Maybe your observations are different.

Edited by Crnr2Crnr