TO Boat Show - anyone going?!?

odot1

14 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

I hope they pulled the ol' "this boat is VERY expensive......... come look at this 18 footer....."

Then e-mail her a pic of the Doral 360. 

Well...  It was aboard their 40'.  She was waiting to go down below as there were two guys down there and she wanted to experience it by herself, take pics etc..  Only myself and her son in line.  Sales guys pipes up in some weird accent.. "You can down below now..."  She responded shes gets a little claustrophobic and wants to experience it without the two strangers already there.  Him, again accented and now just plain rude: "You're just holding up the line, hurry up".  She took his advice and hurried off the boat and away from the Regal booth altogether..  Due to work and life circumstances, she was easily capable of getting into this boat or similar...  But now I can't even mention Regal..  Still looking at the Boca's however we found a Doral Alegria for sale...  45ft (50" LOA) at good price.  We've made friends with a couple doing the Great lakes and then travel down the inland waterway to Florida.  Apparently that's our new goal as retirement comes up.  Thus perhaps looking at bigger boats. 

Hey, Odot,

Just remind her that all cops are not assholes either!

Would be nice to know if he was a salesman from a Canadian Regal dealer (most likely) or a rep from the company Regal itself.

• Like 1

I've often wondered about the huge line ups of people to look at the big ass cruisers. Almost all of them couldn't afford to put fuel in it let alone buy it. How do they justify telling a truly potential buyer to stand in line with the sheep for an hour and then limiting the time they have inside to actually look around. There has to be a better way.

I did have a hard time wrapping my head around $100K+ for a pontoon boat and $100K+ for a Princecraft aluminum fishing boat.

Edited by 02sled
  • Like 1

One thing I learned growing up in a family owned farm equipment dealership was to never judge a potential customer by the cover. You could be very surprised by the buying power of some rather innocuous looking country folk. :)

I also attended many trade shows a year for a long time. Usually it was a sales person from a local dealership, forced by his boss to be there working on a weekend, that could end up being callous, indifferent, or a complete asshole. Most often representatives from the actual manufacturer were quite professional and personable when working a show.

I should add, we also sold Arctic Cat snowmobiles at our dealership. Those customers you could peg a mile away, dirty oil covered purple coats, leather hats, and guaranteed to be an asshole.:)

Edited by lastzrt

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, lastzrt said:

Hey, Odot,

Just remind her that all cops are not assholes either!

Would be nice to know if he was a salesman from a Canadian Regal dealer (most likely) or a rep from the company Regal itself.

Hard to say... was wearing Crates/Regal name tag...

23 hours ago, 02sled said:

I've often wondered about the huge line ups of people to look at the big ass cruisers. Almost all of them couldn't afford to put fuel in it let alone buy it. How do they justify telling a truly potential buyer to stand in line with the sheep for an hour and then limiting the time they have inside to actually look around. There has to be a better way.

I did have a hard time wrapping my head around $100K+ for a pontoon boat and $100K+ for a Princecraft aluminum fishing boat.

The SeaRay people did it right.  Had to sign up for a timeslot on their 40 footers and up.  And yes, $100K for a pontoon is unreal!!!!!

We always wanted to look inside a fancy motor home at the rv show. There's was one that stood out so the wife and I went inside followed by a sales guy. The guy says what are your plans for it. I said mobile curb service and he asked what that was. I said was going to install a couple barbers chairs and hire a couple hairstylists and a couple hookers so you can get both heads done at the same time. He wasn't impressed but we walked away laughing our heads off. 

Edited by smokin george
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, odot1 said:

The SeaRay people did it right.  Had to sign up for a timeslot on their 40 footers and up.  And yes, $100K for a pontoon is unreal!!!!!

Take a look at Bennington pontoons. They are the ones with the insane pricing.

Good that she left.  F*** 'em.  My buddy keeps his 360 at the Orillia narrows, and 3 slips down is a bigger Doral.  I forget the size..... guessing it was likely a 45 LOA or so.  Can't remember the model number or length.  Beautiful machine...... I remember the mooring cleats on it looked like they were machined from solid billet, and about 12" long. 

On 2017-01-30 at 1:43 PM, odot1 said:

Well...  It was aboard their 40'.  She was waiting to go down below as there were two guys down there and she wanted to experience it by herself, take pics etc..  Only myself and her son in line.  Sales guys pipes up in some weird accent.. "You can down below now..."  She responded shes gets a little claustrophobic and wants to experience it without the two strangers already there.  Him, again accented and now just plain rude: "You're just holding up the line, hurry up".  She took his advice and hurried off the boat and away from the Regal booth altogether..  Due to work and life circumstances, she was easily capable of getting into this boat or similar...  But now I can't even mention Regal..  Still looking at the Boca's however we found a Doral Alegria for sale...  45ft (50" LOA) at good price.  We've made friends with a couple doing the Great lakes and then travel down the inland waterway to Florida.  Apparently that's our new goal as retirement comes up.  Thus perhaps looking at bigger boats. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02sled said:

Take a look at Bennington pontoons. They are the ones with the insane pricing.

Of course... Bennington is the "high end" of pontoons!!  Ugh... still a pontoon!!!

Just now, Puzzleboy said:

Good that she left.  F*** 'em.  My buddy keeps his 360 at the Orillia narrows, and 3 slips down is a bigger Doral.  I forget the size..... guessing it was likely a 45 LOA or so.  Can't remember the model number or length.  Beautiful machine...... I remember the mooring cleats on it looked like they were machined from solid billet, and about 12" long. 

Every Doral I've looked at just screams solid build quality with great finishing touches.. Shame they went under.  Looking forward to seeing the Alegria next month!!  Will keep you posted.  Its weird..  liked the brand new Rinker we were on...but still prefer the layout, quality, small touches and the more solid feel of the older Dorals..

• Like 1

Doral built a quality boat, no question.  The boat biz is a tough one, many good ones have gone under.  Boat manufacturers' fortunes seem to mirror the economy in lockstep. 

Just looked up the Alegria; certainly looks like the guy's boat.  And more importantly, looks like it needs a Sea-Doo on the back of it.  I've seen lifts that swing out into the water, and leave your swim platform essentially unobstructed for use when anchored. 

• Like 1

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/brockville/1996-baja-272/1235473252?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Here ya go Fozzy, or anybody else interested.  My old boat and trailer.  I sold it 3 years ago.  He has replaced some vinyl.  Same bottom hull as the Outlaw, but obviously the top deck is different, windshield, etc.  At anything over 40mph, windshield is nice to have.  Boat will run 60-62 on GPS.  454 Mag, 385 HP stock.  The B3 drive was great..... like having brakes when you're docking, etc.  His pictures and ad suck..... Lol.  Here's a few better ones.  I didn't sell it for much more than that, so probably get it for under 20.  I still have a new Sunbrella purple mooring cover for it, made by XT Innovations (ex Baja guys, original patterns).  It also has the y-pipe in it for a Corsa Quick & Quiet (I kept those bits :) ).  I did everything in the rear- bearing, bellows, shift cable, water inlet, etc. 3 years ago.  The transom remote is for a late model Clarion, and displays the songs/MP3s,  etc. .  Rear steps are Hydroturf.  Blue underwater LEDs.  Also did new Merc wires, impeller, plugs, slave solenoid, trim solenoids.  Did the transom plate access cutout mod to access the swivel (polished stainless pic).  All new wood in the sunpad, double coated with poly resin (should never rot). 

On 2017-01-18 at 7:30 PM, Fozzy said:

I won't be going then. A go fast boat is my next purchase, just trying to decide if I should go with twins or a single. Looking at a 30' in a twin or 26 or 27 if I go with a single.

My BIL had a 26' Baja with the 600 in it. That would be my preferred choice but they are almost impossible to find.

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

Bravo 3 stand 1.jpg

Baja GPS speed.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2271.JPG

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

Nice looking boat... low hrs as well.  You're right...his ad sucks.  Does not do her justice at all!!  I like your attention to detail, the cradle for the drive is an impressive touch.