GM shutting down production at most of its plants in North America

• Gold Member

I think dealers and manufactures have learned an important lesson from this and will adopt hybrid model of what Tesla does.….  Put a few high end models on the lot at a premium price for the got to have it now and those that don’t want all the bells and whistles can order what they want at msrp.

dealers and manufactures are making so much money currently and would be stupid to go back to the pre pandemic model.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's great.  It will make the manufacturers bring back parts production in North America.  BTW, lets not forget about that big CASH FOR CLUNKERS deal that Obama had.  How many used cars did that take off the market.  And most people thought that was a bad idea, because we all realized what it was going to cause in the future. 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

My next door boat neighbor owns a Chevy dealership, and told me recently they had 12 cars in stock.  Normally would be hundreds.

It weird seeing all the empty lots around here. Say bye bye to big rebates. 

It's just more of the same.
They are shutting down for a few weeks until they get some supples/chips/inventory in, this is happening pretty much everywhere.

I tell my the folks on my Polaris RZR group, easy on those parts if driving hard, might be awhile before you get replacements.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, racer254 said:

I think it's great.  It will make the manufacturers bring back parts production in North America.  BTW, lets not forget about that big CASH FOR CLUNKERS deal that Obama had.  How many used cars did that take off the market.  And most people thought that was a bad idea, because we all realized what it was going to cause in the future. 

Yes racer cash for clunkers is the reason for new vehicle inventories being basically non existent…FFS you’re a dolt.🤣

54 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yes racer cash for clunkers is the reason for new vehicle inventories being basically non existent…FFS you’re a dolt.🤣

It didn't help. 

The majority of vehicles traded in the Cash for Clunkers program were trucks, at 84% of total vehicles traded.   677,000 vehicles total.  Do the math and tell me what vehicles are currently in demand.

3 minutes ago, racer254 said:

It didn't help. 

The majority of vehicles traded in the Cash for Clunkers program were trucks, at 84% of total vehicles traded.   677,000 vehicles total.  Do the math and tell me what vehicles are currently in demand.

they were vehicles that would have been mostly rotted out and retired at this point. If people still wanted to drive old shit there would not be a shortage of new right now.   

• Platinum Contributing Member
18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they were vehicles that would have been mostly rotted out and retired at this point. If people still wanted to drive old shit there would not be a shortage of new right now.   

Pffft…it’s all Obama’s fault.🤣🤣

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Anytime you take 677,000 running vehicles out of the market, it will eventually have an effect.  25% of vehicles on the road today are at least 16 years old.  The average age of an auto is 12.1 years.  Cash for clunkers was in 2009.

35 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Anytime you take 677,000 running vehicles out of the market, it will eventually have an effect.  25% of vehicles on the road today are at least 16 years old.  The average age of an auto is 12.1 years.  Cash for clunkers was in 2009.

in 2009 for vehicles that were already used up at that point.

They are running out of places to park new cars and trucks waiting on chips. Im surprised they didn’t stop sooner. The lots are going to be overflowing with 21’s. Most people don’t need new vehicles anyway. Maybe the public will get smart and not buy a new car every 2 years. 

10 hours ago, racer254 said:

They didn’t have to be running,just registered.

On 9/4/2021 at 8:48 PM, ActionfigureJoe said:

Hopefully.

Fuck that I want to see the Manu making dealers buy more than they can sell again . I don't give 2 fucks about color and shit . I want the lots full of non currents with huge discounts .