2017 Chev Impala transmission fluid change?

irv

With 50,000 km's on my wife's car now, I want to change out the fluid. (we purchased it used) Is this simply a drain and fill or is there a pan with filter(s) inside that can be changed out as well?

I've never really paid attention while under there doing an oil change but my gut tells me, based on the little info I have been able to find, that that isn't possible. You simply drain out the old and fill with the new. Anyone know for sure? (17 Impala with the 3.5 engine)

Sue's car.JPG

The transmission filters I’ve seen are designed to keep the large pieces from being picked up. Not the same filtering ability such as an oil filter that can filter to the 30 micron level. I just leave the filter in place. If it isn’t a total pain in the ass, I do drop the pan and clean the gunk off the magnets and bottom of the pan. If there’s a bunch of cross members in the way I just drain and replace. 

1 minute ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

The transmission filters I’ve seen are designed to keep the large pieces from being picked up. Not the same filtering ability such as an oil filter that can filter to the 30 micron level. I just leave the filter in place. If it isn’t a total pain in the ass, I do drop the pan and clean the gunk off the magnets and bottom of the pan. If there’s a bunch of cross members in the way I just drain and replace. 

Some, from what I have read, are simply a drain and fill closed type transmission with no filter(s). Others, like I am use to, have a removable pan/filters but I can't seem to find any info nor videos for this 17? Likely because the car isn't old enough yet that info/vids aren't available? :dunno:

3 minutes ago, toslow said:

What model transmission is in it?

6 sp auto, which I think all the Impalas come with despite the engine size. 

What kind of transmission does a Chevy Impala have?

Image result for 2017 chevrolet impala transmission types

six-speed automatic transmission

Under the hood of every 2020 Impala is a 305-horsepower 3.6-liter V6 engine. It's paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.

8 minutes ago, toslow said:

Unless they have another pan on the bottom and no inline filter system i would say its a drain and fill 

I'm leaning that way until I can crawl underneath it and have a look to see if it has a removable pan or not? Drain and fill would be so much easier but I will not skip out on doing the job if it has serviceable filters. If it does, I may just take it in to have it done? PITA without a hoist, imo. 

Thanks for the info. :bc: 

21 minutes ago, irv said:

Some, from what I have read, are simply a drain and fill closed type transmission with no filter(s). Others, like I am use to, have a removable pan/filters but I can't seem to find any info nor videos for this 17? Likely because the car isn't old enough yet that info/vids aren't available? :dunno:

Whatever you find out, it’s a good mileage mark for a fluid change. I don’t buy the lifetime fluid bullshit. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Whatever you find out, it’s a good mileage mark for a fluid change. I don’t buy the lifetime fluid bullshit. 

I agree. This car was purchased used with 20,000 km's on it, plus it was a rental, so I want to do it even though it still shifts great. The fluid, imo, is just starting to turn a bit dark so I think it is due regardless of the low mileage.

My Ram needs to be done as well. 90,000 km's (56,000 miles) is likely overdue going by the severe service schedule but with only pulling a boat and a couple sleds occasionally, I don't think I fall under that guideline, but I want it done just the same. That transmission take 2 filters. One flat, like is normally seen, plus a cartridge/oil filter type as well. 

4 minutes ago, polaris7541 said:

trans dose have a filter .its internal , its a drain n fill 11 mm pipe plug in the bottom ,takes dex 6 fluid , u will about 7 qtrs.

3 minutes ago, polaris7541 said:

its a 6r70 

What I was hoping to hear.

Thank you. :bc:

I want to know why cars and trucks no longer come with a basic fucking transmission dip stick . Really is it that fucking expensive to add a fucking tube to the fill port to make every ones life just a tad bit more ez . Oh no can't do that it would add 5 bucks to the cost of a build on 30k+ auto . Kill em all in the street 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I want to know why cars and trucks no longer come with a basic fucking transmission dip stick . Really is it that fucking expensive to add a fucking tube to the fill port to make every ones life just a tad bit more ez . Oh no can't do that it would add 5 bucks to the cost of a build on 30k+ auto . Kill em all in the street 

A few reasons:

-It might be cheap to add, say $15/car, but expand that out over several million vehicles a year = good cost savings

-They want you to take it to the dealer for service/flush, making their dealer network more money

-They want the people who don't service it to take it to the dealer when it shits the bed, creating more service work and parts sales

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

A few reasons:

-It might be cheap to add, say $15/car, but expand that out over several million vehicles a year = good cost savings

-They want you to take it to the dealer for service/flush, making their dealer network more money

-They want the people who don't service it to take it to the dealer when it shits the bed, creating more service work and parts sales

Even the service guys hate it . 

• Like 1

• Gold Member

Ya like anything they do now it needs to go to the dealer. Adaptive cruse recalibration, blind spot monitor recalibration, headlight calibrations, dip sticks etc. etc.all goes back to getting people to bring more money into the doors of the dealership.

6 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ya like anything they do now it needs to go to the dealer. Adaptive cruse recalibration, blind spot monitor recalibration, headlight calibrations, dip sticks etc. etc.all goes back to getting people to bring more money into the doors of the dealership.

I try to go to a local independent shop as often as I can.  

I'm waiting for the day the blind spot detection shit finally goes in the Impala.

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

I try to go to a local independent shop as often as I can.  

I'm waiting for the day the blind spot detection shit finally goes in the Impala.

The independent shops we sublet mechanical stuff to can’t do the recalibration stuff most of it is dealer only anyways and they charge all the money to do it. Pretty much every newer car we work on ends up having to go to the dealer.

36 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I think a lot of people would end up checking the level while the engine is off and or transmission fluid is not up to temp and think it’s low so they end up overfilling it.  A lot of transmissions you’re supposed to fill from the fill hole till it it’s full, then start it and monitor trans temp, then top it off with the engine running.  

The average consumer isn’t keen to any of that or they’d think that’s all just scientism conspiracy.  

10 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Auto transmissions don’t need the fluid level checked unless they are leaking. Fluid doesn’t evaporate into thin air. From what I understand it wasn’t as much of a cost issue as it was lack of room for it, on some models, and a possible leak point cause fire on others. 

10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

A few reasons:

Literally none of those are any of the actual reasons. Manufacturers make shit on dealer service work. It’s not a concern for them really at all.