Ram takes the top honour in J.D. Power's 2021 Initial Quality Study

irv

Ram has ranked the highest in overall new-vehicle quality in the J.D. Power 2021 Initial Quality Study (IQS)

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ram-takes-the-top-honour-in-j-d-powers-2021-initial-quality-study 

Edited by irv

1 hour ago, Anler said:

No surprise. Its the best truck on the market :news: 

Lol same shit as the rest 

I want to know what honors ram has after 5 yrs in the snow belt . ? Biggest weight loss do to vanishing steel 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Loved mine, only compliant would be junk ball joints

Junk ball joints? Never heard that one before. 1500 or 3/4 ton? My 13 QC Hemi now has 90,000 km's and they have never been done.

46 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I want to know what honors ram has after 5 yrs in the snow belt . ? Biggest weight loss do to vanishing steel 

8 yrs here in the snow/salt belt and so far so good. Rust proofing anything nowadays is a must no matter what vehicle you own. My 13 Ram is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned. 87 Chev Wrangler (CDN only) new engine. 97 Sierra transmission out at a 144,000 km's. 09 Sierra new engine at 8,000 km's and a variety of other issues. By far the worst truck I have ever owned and the reason why I went with Ram this go around. Zero Fords. Just don't like them is all.

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

53 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

My next truck will be aluminum.  The salt and sand just does a number on trucks in the salt belt.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, irv said:

Junk ball joints? Never heard that one before. 1500 or 3/4 ton? My 13 QC Hemi now has 90,000 km's and they have never been done.

8 yrs here in the snow/salt belt and so far so good. Rust proofing anything nowadays is a must no matter what vehicle you own. My 13 Ram is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned. 87 Chev Wrangler (CDN only) new engine. 97 Sierra transmission out at a 144,000 km's. 09 Sierra new engine at 8,000 km's and a variety of other issues. By far the worst truck I have ever owned and the reason why I went with Ram this go around. Zero Fords. Just don't like them is all.

IMG_0510 (Large).JPG

We are talking NY roads,..pot hole central..:lol:

.went thru 2 sets in 86,000 miles on the 2011 ram..GMC has 119,000mi still on the original ones..my first ram a 2002 ate ball joints like candy..but I had 325/40-zr20's on that..

6 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

We are talking NY roads,..pot hole central..:lol:

.went thru 2 sets in 86,000 miles on the 2011 ram..GMC has 119,000mi still on the original ones..my first ram a 2002 ate ball joints like candy..but I had 325/40-zr20's on that..

I could see those things making a difference! 

I know with the 2013 models a lot was changed and upgraded so maybe the ball joints were part of that retooling? 

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Chevy wins the rust competition....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, irv said:

I could see those things making a difference! 

I know with the 2013 models a lot was changed and upgraded so maybe the ball joints were part of that retooling? 

I did heavy duty ball joints and a arms when I leveled mine. I have 79k and Carry a HTS plow much of the winter. 

14 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

I did heavy duty ball joints and a arms when I leveled mine. I have 79k and Carry a HTS plow much of the winter. 

Good thinking! Mine will never see a plow but if and when they go, I will definitely be putting in the premium ones.

4 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Don’t worry it does a number on aluminum too.

Curious, since they have been out a while now, how they are holding up? I would assume, like I mentioned above, they would need rust proofing as well. I did hear and see pics of how easily they dented once upon a time but I wonder if they improved on that any?

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, irv said:

Good thinking! Mine will never see a plow but if and when they go, I will definitely be putting in the premium ones.

Curious, since they have been out a while now, how they are holding up? I would assume, like I mentioned above, they would need rust proofing as well. I did hear and see pics of how easily they dented once upon a time but I wonder if they improved on that any?

I’ve seen the usual corrosion on hood lips and inside door seams nothing horrible. They seem to be lasting fairly well but there still fairly new too. I honestly haven’t crawled around under many that have come in. I did get a 15 150 work truck today with fairly high mileage I’ll have to roll under it tomorrow and look it over see how it looks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

My next truck will be aluminum.  The salt and sand just does a number on trucks in the salt belt.

Yep my newest for was the last yr of steel . Rear fenders junk bumpers junk door jambs junk . But to be fair only times my trucks get washed is when in for service or it just looks really bad ie a lot of dirt and mud roads.  

My bud got a ram at the same time as I got that Ford he washes his shit every fill so call it once a week . It looks better but not by much

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Yep my newest for was the last yr of steel . Rear fenders junk bumpers junk door jambs junk . But to be fair only times my trucks get washed is when in for service or it just looks really bad ie a lot of dirt and mud roads.  

My bud got a ram at the same time as I got that Ford he washes his shit every fill so call it once a week . It looks better but not by much

I undercoat/rust proof mine annually, or at least every 2 years and nary a problem ever with rust. Unlike you, however, on milder days I will wash it in the winter as well as spray all up underneath with the garden hose on the shower setting paying particular attention to the rear fenders on the backside of the rear panels.  

• Gold Member

I don’t understand why the big 3 can’t make a truck that don’t rot to shit in a few years. The money people pay for these trucks there should be corrosion protection to the max. The things have little if any corrosion protection on them. You get cars like Mercedes and those fuckers dump a gallon of cavity wax in each panel and chip guard the shit outta the undersides that’s how every car should be done.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I don’t understand why the big 3 can’t make a truck that don’t rot to shit in a few years. The money people pay for these trucks there should be corrosion protection to the max. The things have little if any corrosion protection on them. You get cars like Mercedes and those fuckers dump a gallon of cavity wax in each panel and chip guard the shit outta the undersides that’s how every car should be done.

You answered your own question. How much for a Mercedes compared to others from the big three? There is money in vehicles, especially trucks, and a better question, imo, is why do they put foam in between body panels on most vehicles, especially in the rear quarters? Big salt/moisture absorbing sponges is all they are. 

• Gold Member
11 minutes ago, irv said:

You answered your own question. How much for a Mercedes compared to others from the big three? There is money in vehicles, especially trucks, and a better question, imo, is why do they put foam in between body panels on most vehicles, especially in the rear quarters? Big salt/moisture absorbing sponges is all they are. 

Ya but it’s not just high end Benz the c-class has it even VWs have it. The big 3 don’t do anything from what I’ve seen even on 100k trucks.

foam in cars is usually structural it’s actually called structural foam. It supposedly makes the car stronger.

Edited by 800renegaderider

14 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I see my wife's 05 Benz around all the time just starting to get some spots in the rear wheelwells. Sold it like 6 or 7 yrs ago with 100k on it .