Current American Muscle car or 60's and 70's Muscle car?

Doug

So what is the preference for American muscle cars.  The current line over the past 10 years plus or the 60's and 70's?

Hands down for me is the 60's and 70's.  There's some impressive HP coming out of the manufactures and handling today but very few true car guys around that understand them and can work on them. Its a phone call to make an appointment to get a tune, new exhaust, I like those tires and rims let me know when it's done so I can put my driving gloves on to pick it up.   The dealers building special car like the Yenko is not the same.

I have some friends with some very nice cars that they have had for a long time and had hands on involvement is restoring them.  There's also guys that know their way around the newer cars that are hands on and understand how they work and can work on them.

I had a 71 Olds 442 W-30 that I sold 20 years ago after doing a full restoration on.  I did all the mechanics on it and a friend did the paint.  Best I did was 3rd in a National Olds show in Lansing Michigan.  Buying our cabin, having a Goldwing and other commitments with having no time for all of them so I chose to sell the car and Goldwing.  Still enjoy going to the local car shows but generally walk by the newer stuff and look at the early 70's and older cars. Talking to the owners they can tell you the history of the cars what work they have done to it and generally have more of a passion for the car.

scan0005_crop.jpg

• Like 1

Imo, the only Muscle Car era is the 60's and 70's. All other eras, although somewhat important and significant to some, will never come close to the original era. 

396 4spd 69 Chevelle SS. Sign me up. :bc: 

chevelle_ss_1608318502225e2589d78f42aIMG_0369.jpg

• Like 3

I don't have much nostalgia for the old stuff and I've had a couple nice fast cars over the years.  These days give me German engineering and awd.  I watched a new Camaro ZL1 the other day almost wreck himself driving in the rain.  No thanks.

That’s what is so cool about vehicles. So many people are passionate about them and so many are passionate about different vehicles than each other.

I love the old ones, and work on the new ones daily. I will take a new one 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. The ONLY a thing the old ones have on the new is nostalgia and some looks. 

As of right now, sign me up for one of these. 

4CD004A6-8F53-4605-9C79-341D77AD096B.jpeg

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?
  • Like 1

I wasn't much of a car guy,,,was a kid that wanted to be in the bush. BUT after watching 3 seasons of The Grand Tour with Clarkson,Hammond and May I have a new appreciation for cars,,,but definitely new ones,,,and ones WAAYYYYY out of my price range:lol:

28 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I love the old ones, and work on the new ones daily. I will take a new one 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. The ONLY a thing the old ones have on the new is nostalgia and some looks. 

As of right now, sign me up for one of these. 

4CD004A6-8F53-4605-9C79-341D77AD096B.jpeg

^^  This.  I was into the older stuff in my younger years.  I was forced to learn the newer stuff and never looked back. 

I have a friend who told me he did a pdi on a supercharged Camaro.  Was doing about 45 and kicked the traction control off.  Stomped it and had it sideways.. Went on one with him on a Volt and we had the thing going up a S-shaped hill at 96 before he backed off...handled like it was on a rail..  The engineering into these cars is so far ahead of the old stuff...

As for working on em, the electronics aren't so bad.  If you know electrical/electronics, these are easier than the old stuff.   I would rather set up a (GM) gen 5 V8 in a car than an older (non computer controlled) one..

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

I have zero interest in owning a old car or truck .  And really not much more in owning a modern muscle car.  

The numerous responses like this blow my mind. You guys must be gay or 25 years old. I’ve owned various 60’s or 70’s muscle cars (68-71) for the last 25 years without more than a month between one. I grew up with old ads out of magazines plastered on my wall when I was a kid though I was just born during the last of the good 70’s muscle cars. I watched my uncles go through them in the 80’s when they were cheap and worth nothing. Got hooked then and still one of my passions. I might get smoked at a stoplight by a Subaru WRX but the old raw unrefined torque of the old Detroit iron is incomparable. I’ve drivin lots of the new fast stuff. Whatever. Yeah fast and fun but not the same. If a new Vette floats your boat, so be it. You’re still gay. 

Edited by Crowder
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crowder said:

The numerous responses like this blow my mind. You guys must be gay or 25 years old. I’ve owned various 60’s or 70’s muscle cars for the last 25 years without more than a month between one. I grew up with old ads out of magazines plastered on my wall when I was a kid though I was just born during the last of the good 70’s muscle cars. I watched my uncles go through them in the 80’s when they were cheap and worth nothing. Got hooked then and still one of my passions. I might get smoked at a stoplight by a Subaru WRX the old raw unrefined torque of the old Detroit iron is incomparable. 

80's kid.  Don't care for 60's/70's muscle cars, no interest.  Driven a few, still nothing.

6 minutes ago, Crowder said:

The numerous responses like this blow my mind. You guys must be gay or 25 years old. I’ve owned various 60’s or 70’s muscle cars for the last 25 years without more than a month between one. I grew up with old ads out of magazines plastered on my wall when I was a kid though I was just born during the last of the good 70’s muscle cars. I watched my uncles go through them in the 80’s when they were cheap and worth nothing. Got hooked then and still one of my passions. I might get smoked at a stoplight by a Subaru WRX but the old raw unrefined torque of the old Detroit iron is incomparable. I’ve drivin lots of the new fast stuff. Whatever. Yeah fast and fun but not the same. If a new Vette floats your boat, so be it. You’re still gay. 

I’ve built and driven old GM big block cars with 750+ hp. I work on and drive some of the hottest shit on the market today. Sorry, it’s just looks and sound. I’d put a ZL1, Z06 or ZR1 up against a 750 hp Chevelle, Nova, whatever any day on the street. That old stuff better make a considerable amount more smoke than those cars to get around one, period. Add in the creature comforts of today and there is zero comparison for me. I was born in ‘77 and was sold on old iron being the best there is until probably about 10 years or so ago. No going back for me. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’ve built and driven old GM big block cars with 750+ hp. I work on and drive some of the hottest shit on the market today. Sorry, it’s just looks and sound. I’d put a ZL1, Z06 or ZR1 up against a 750 hp Chevelle, Nova, whatever any day on the street. That old stuff better make a considerable amount more smoke than those cars to get around one, period. Add in the creature comforts of today and there is zero comparison for me. I was born in ‘77 and was sold on old iron being the best there is until probably about 10 years or so ago. No going back for me. 

Gotta do best of both worlds. I like a old car with modern suspension and driveline. Imo most 2022 cars are ugly as hell to me except maybe the challenger and that new 400z I kinda like.

19 minutes ago, Crowder said:

The numerous responses like this blow my mind. You guys must be gay or 25 years old. I’ve owned various 60’s or 70’s muscle cars (68-71) for the last 25 years without more than a month between one. I grew up with old ads out of magazines plastered on my wall when I was a kid though I was just born during the last of the good 70’s muscle cars. I watched my uncles go through them in the 80’s when they were cheap and worth nothing. Got hooked then and still one of my passions. I might get smoked at a stoplight by a Subaru WRX but the old raw unrefined torque of the old Detroit iron is incomparable. I’ve drivin lots of the new fast stuff. Whatever. Yeah fast and fun but not the same. If a new Vette floats your boat, so be it. You’re still gay. 

I am 53 I have owned lots 60s early 70s so called muscle cars in my teens and 20s when they were just junkers .lots of buds in to tossing plus of money in to them only to let them sit for years loosing money . The guys a bit older than me seem to be the ones in to the old cars same ones who buy vets. 

I like to see a nice example drive by but it needs to be pretty fucking rare for me to even want to cross the street to check it out .  

Don't know they really do nothing for me . Honestly if there was a mint gto and a mint 240z parked sxs I would not even glance over at the Pontiac but would at least do a sort of walk around of the Datsun 

10 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

When we were coming back from the race yesterday seen 5 new mustang mach 1's on the hwy.  You could see they were instrumented up including exterior sensors with a support truck following them. Also had small experimental sticks on the rear bumper, fuel drain arrows and lift point arrows.  Don't know if these were Ford vehicles or Roush but it was interesting to see them and that got us on the subject of old muscle cars or new.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Old, new is nice for some reasons but late 60's The choices of muscle were endless. 

My high school car was one of these.

couger 68.jpg

Oh God!!!!  :hay:

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I am 53 I have owned lots 60s early 70s so called muscle cars in my teens and 20s when they were just junkers .lots of buds in to tossing plus of money in to them only to let them sit for years loosing money . The guys a bit older than me seem to be the ones in to the old cars same ones who buy vets. 

I like to see a nice example drive by but it needs to be pretty fucking rare for me to even want to cross the street to check it out .  

Don't know they really do nothing for me . Honestly if there was a mint gto and a mint 240z parked sxs I would not even glance over at the Pontiac but would at least do a sort of walk around of the Datsun 

We had a z cruise stop in our small town few weeks ago. It was pretty awesome seeing the old 240z out rarely see them on the road around here.

37 minutes ago, Crowder said:

The numerous responses like this blow my mind. You guys must be gay or 25 years old. I’ve owned various 60’s or 70’s muscle cars (68-71) for the last 25 years without more than a month between one. I grew up with old ads out of magazines plastered on my wall when I was a kid though I was just born during the last of the good 70’s muscle cars. I watched my uncles go through them in the 80’s when they were cheap and worth nothing. Got hooked then and still one of my passions. I might get smoked at a stoplight by a Subaru WRX but the old raw unrefined torque of the old Detroit iron is incomparable. I’ve drivin lots of the new fast stuff. Whatever. Yeah fast and fun but not the same. If a new Vette floats your boat, so be it. You’re still gay

Sonofa bitch!! I was just thinkin' the other day what I might want to get. Not totally serious but kinda'. Left-over ZR1 Vette, 2020, not the new style. I like the long nose on the last version of Vettes. 

Didja' have ta' post that??????????  

9 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

We had a z cruise stop in our small town few weeks ago. It was pretty awesome seeing the old 240z out rarely see them on the road around here.

I acctualy walked about 1/2  block in Minneapolis last week when I saw a sliver of a opel gt peeking out of a spot . Old school orange and the only R drive one I have ever seen . 

I have always liked the bit more obscure sporty rides . Deff more in to the design of the car than the 0 to 100 .

I love the zero to 100 but I own bikes for that . And I really like vintage bikes 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Polaris 550 said:

Sonofa bitch!! I was just thinkin' the other day what I might want to get. Not totally serious but kinda'. Left-over ZR1 Vette, 2020, not the new style. I like the long nose on the last version of Vettes. 

Didja' have ta' post that??????????  

Yeah you are the target market for them . I can't even count how many AARP customers I have with a ultra low mi vett in the garage that they can hardly get in or out of the 2 times a yr they take the thing out in the day light for the early bird special at the drive Inn 

• Haha 3