Blackstone griddle guys

OK, I'll admit ... I'm bored and tired of reading COVID and political stuff this morning.  So I figured I'd throw a post out there to see how many of you guys are using these Blackstone griddles that have become so popular?  I caved in and bought a small tabletop sized one, to use for when we go camping (and hopefully will use it around home too).  So with this thread, I'm curious for any tips and or recipes to give a shot.

I bought the name brand seasoning/conditioner stuff to treat it before I use it, so that'll be the first thing I do (probably tomorrow).  Once it's done, we'll probably do a breakfast attempt here at home since that'll be the primary use of it when we're camping.  Beyond that, I'm thinking smash burgers will be on there before too long & then any other popular recipes we come across.

Question for those who are experienced with these things ... what kind of oil are you using after each cook?  I know enough to NOT use soap when I clean it, and plan to scrape it & wipe it down good - but I see reference to oiling it afterwards.  Canola oil?  Flaxseed?  Or just use the Blackstone brand stuff I already have?

I've been seeing more and more people bragging these things up, and if it hadn't been for my wife's best friend & her boyfriend bringing one to our last camping weekend - I probably wouldn't have bought this thing.  But man, they're slick and will help us avoid the "battle" of electricity when we have so many people trying to run griddles, toasters, coffee, etc (since this runs on propane).  On the "professional eater" topic ... yeah, we have a few of those in our camping crew too :lol: Like you, I'm not necessarily a huge fan of griddle cooked food, but breakfast is perfectly fine by me.  And I'm not gonna lie - some of the videos I've seen with the smashburgers look pretty damn good too.  We'll see how it goes ... if all else fails, it didn't cost and arm and a leg so I won't lose sleep if it ends up in storage.

• Like 1

i went on an ATV trip with a guy who brought his big one.  every meal cooked on it and it was awesome.   I just don't cook enough to use one.   Smashburgers,  steak and cheeses,  breakfast food,   fried rice like at a japanese stakehouse.   

• Like 1

I just happened to notice these myself.  I don't really look too seriously at grills when I'm running through the store.  I do however, go through the grill section to sorta man drool at the new goodies.  It never hurts to look. :D  It seems like I must have fell out of the loop on the new thing.  There are tons of these things in the grill section.

Sorta like the ol cast iron skillet, they benefit from a little love with seasoning.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Got mine last year.  Few examples of cooks off it.  You don't need any fancy oils.  Season with canola is fine.  I typically just use olive oil and butter now.

image.thumb.png.030c666d8759ff1d7c0054d0181a4c2f.png

image.thumb.png.627da0deb17894d930f3e260e57e3ad1.png

image.thumb.png.302cb4228fed7668e379da6e950bc194.png

image.thumb.png.f5c2d002c43e2a8b8927fd577239ec53.png

image.thumb.png.6f17188673eeee366c2260c1fe4bf134.png

That’s looks delicious now I’m hungry early lunch for me today.

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Got mine last year.  Few examples of cooks off it.  You don't need any fancy oils.  Season with canola is fine.  I typically just use olive oil and butter now.

Thanks and now I'm hungry.  My brother just bought one and says it great.  No flare ups and easy to clean. 

Following 

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Agreed!!

Here is an easy recipe for you:

2 strips bacon

2 eggs

2 english muffins, buttered

2 slices american cheese

salt/pepper

Drop bacon on and get it about half way done.  Throw on egg and fry in bacon grease, salt/pepper to taste.  Drop on english muffins with the outside down on the griddle.  When the butter is melted, flip them over about the same time you flip the egg over.  Add cheese to the egg as soon as it is flipped.  Tear crispy bacon in half and assemble. 

Made these last week on vacation a couple times, kids really liked them.  Made 34 of them over 2 days!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doug said:

Thanks and now I'm hungry.  My brother just bought one and says it great.  No flare ups and easy to clean. 

Following 

Can sear a steak at more than 500 degrees with no fear of starting the grill on fire or setting off the smoke alarms inside.

I was thinking I'd wait until tomorrow to use this thing, but seeing some of these posts have me second guessing that & wanting to use it today! LOL  Thanks for sharing some of the food ideas & pics ... they all sound & look great :thumbsup:

• Like 1

My kid has had one for a couple of years and I've got to say it's pretty versatile. Pretty much like a diner flat top. You can cook a mean breakfast on it. Cooking eggs, bacon, home fries, veggies and pancakes etc without dirtying a punch of pans is a bonus. Burgers sear pretty good and come out really juicy because the grille heats evenly. He bought one for me but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. Bonus is the price. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

You’re going to have to buy a trailer now so you can make breakfast before we take off!!

39 minutes ago, Potatodigger1 said:

You’re going to have to buy a trailer now so you can make breakfast before we take off!!

You might want to talk to @X2700.  I think he has a more portable setup than me.  Mine weighs as much as a Yamaha.  The top alone is 55 lbs of cast iron.

• Haha 1

• Gold Member

My brother has a gas grill griddle. Pretty good for a lot of things. He makes breakfasts for his kiddos and it's works great. 

For me tho, I want a grill for burgers/chicken/steak, no question.  :bc:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kivalo said:

My brother has a gas grill griddle. Pretty good for a lot of things. He makes breakfasts for his kiddos and it's works great. 

For me tho, I want a grill for burgers/chicken/steak, no question.  :bc:

No doubt on needing some form of grill too. An occasional burger and chopped steak for subs on the griddle too :hungry:

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

No doubt on needing some form of grill too. An occasional burger and chopped steak for subs on the griddle too :hungry:

yeah steak and cheese on the griddle!  :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I use Canola on mine after each cook and when I do steaks I use butter. Last night I did a Top Sirloin with a side of bell peppers and red onion…delicious!

There are a ton of YT videos on cooking with these and how to clean them….very informative.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kivalo said:

yeah steak and cheese on the griddle!  :bc:

I finally found a place that makes a steak and cheese the way that I like them. Unfortunately the location that is closest to us is only open during the summer season. Their other place that's open during the winter is an hour away. I'm sure I will make the trip a few times during the off-season ;)

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, ckf said:

I finally found a place that makes a steak and cheese the way that I like them. Unfortunately the location that is closest to us is only open during the summer season. Their other place that's open during the winter is an hour away. I'm sure I will make the trip a few times during the off-season ;)

You ever use chicken instead of steak? That's a pretty good concoction also!