Nuclear power advancement

Relative to current nuclear power plant technology, the claimed benefits for 4th generation reactors include:

• Nuclear waste that remains radioactive for a few centuries instead of millennia[35]
  • 100–300 times more energy yield from the same amount of nuclear fuel[36]
  • Broader range of fuels, and even unencapsulated raw fuels (non-pebble MSR, LFTR).
  • In some reactors, the ability to consume existing nuclear waste in the production of electricity, that is, a closed nuclear fuel cycle. This strengthens the argument to deem nuclear power as renewable energy.
  • Improved operating safety features, such as (depending on design) avoidance of pressurized operation, automatic passive (unpowered, uncommanded) reactor shutdown, avoidance of water cooling and the associated risks of loss of water (leaks or boiling) and hydrogen generation/explosion and contamination of coolant water.

12 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Relative to current nuclear power plant technology, the claimed benefits for 4th generation reactors include:

• Nuclear waste that remains radioactive for a few centuries instead of millennia[35]
  • 100–300 times more energy yield from the same amount of nuclear fuel[36]
  • Broader range of fuels, and even unencapsulated raw fuels (non-pebble MSR, LFTR).
  • In some reactors, the ability to consume existing nuclear waste in the production of electricity, that is, a closed nuclear fuel cycle. This strengthens the argument to deem nuclear power as renewable energy.
  • Improved operating safety features, such as (depending on design) avoidance of pressurized operation, automatic passive (unpowered, uncommanded) reactor shutdown, avoidance of water cooling and the associated risks of loss of water (leaks or boiling) and hydrogen generation/explosion and contamination of coolant water.

The bolded is a pretty great bullet point to keep in mind for the anti-nuclear crowd.

China is going full speed ahead on nuclear power while the west messes with solar and wind.  China is actually helping build Hinkley Point C in the UK.  It alone will power 6 million homes for 60 years.  3,260 MW of power output 24/7/365.

1 minute ago, teamgreen02 said:

China is going full speed ahead on nuclear power while the west messes with solar and wind.  China is actually helping build Hinkley Point C in the UK.  It alone will power 6 million homes for 60 years.  3,260 MW of power output 24/7/365.

Xcel should redevelop the Sherco site into a modern nuke site, but that will never happen.  It'll be tens of thousands of solar panels instead.

2 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The bolded is a pretty great bullet point to keep in mind for the anti-nuclear crowd.

The point below is actually more important in my mind.   Automatic, passive cooling without water.  This avoids anything even remotely close to Fukeshima ever happening again.  The waste will eventually get reused.

24 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Great just what the world needs nuclear  reactors with a made in China sticker on the side . Fuck they can't even make a can opener that works for more than a few cans . 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Xcel should redevelop the Sherco site into a modern nuke site, but that will never happen.  It'll be tens of thousands of solar panels instead.

Though googel bought the land and the plant after shut down to build a server ? 

My question is after sherco pulls the plug what are Sherburne county property taxes going to look like . They have to be flipping a real substantial hunk of the county's bills 

8 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Good thing we don't need any power after dark. 

That plant provides a huge base load for our state.  Don't be surprised if they just keep pushing out the shutdown dates until the equipment reaches end of life.

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Great just what the world needs nuclear  reactors with a made in China sticker on the side . Fuck they can't even make a can opener that works for more than a few cans . 

At least they will be able to shut them down in an emergency without risking a potential hydrogen explosion blowing the roof off the place.

8 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Though googel bought the land and the plant after shut down to build a server ? 

My question is after sherco pulls the plug what are Sherburne county property taxes going to look like . They have to be flipping a real substantial hunk of the county's bills 

Before life changed, we were looking to move to Becker and I am pretty sure they pay well over 50% of the taxes for the town.

6 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

That plant provides a huge base load for our state.  Don't be surprised if they just keep pushing out the shutdown dates until the equipment reaches end of life.

Probably.  The state and the MSP area residents will never let it be a power plant again once the current one is torn down.  

6 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Lol the sherco plant building of the  main lines were the scene of my first motorsports knockout and busted up toy . They put them right thrugh some family property dozers made a great long ATC track .

Woke up to a upside down honda with the fr tire wedged in to the motor lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

At least they will be able to shut them down in an emergency without risking a potential hydrogen explosion blowing the roof off the place.

So they say . Remember made in China lol. They say there light switches should turn off a light and yep 98 out of 100 do just that 

24 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

So they say . Remember made in China lol. They say there light switches should turn off a light and yep 98 out of 100 do just that 

My bigger issue with them is their white outlets that turn yellow after a couple years.  If I wanted yellow I would have bought yellow!

47 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I don’t think they plan on building a reactor in China and then shipping it to America.  

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm not completely for or against Nuclear but watch any documentary on Chernobyl sometime.  That came fairly close to making a significant part of Europe uninhabitable.   

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

we can't power all of these new EV's from a coal fired plant now can we?

It's not just transportation.  Lots of new fangled goodies eat up juice.  We also keep throwing power at infrastructure I.E. data transport and management.

The idea of using gas to supply the power is short sighted.  It will bite us in the kiester.  That is going to happen a whole lot faster than people can imagine.

Electricity demand and supply is a biggie that could use some long term solutions.

It is ironic that China seems to have a better long term plan.  We give them a hard time for all their junk products, but they are playing by the numbers.

We keep playing touchy feely political games and bickering while we buy their junk.  The games we are playing will be our downfall.  It's hard to watch.  But, if I'm happy today, who cares about tomorrow.

• Like 1

Amount of nuclear fuel it takes to meet your individual power needs in a life time = 1 pop can and that also represents the waste generated for an individual.

Compare that to your carbon footprint measured in tons per YEAR!