What's for dinner???

2 hours ago, HSR said:

Fried chicken thighs, creamy bacon pasta and canned corn.

Me too...although not really fried.  Pan roasted them.  I love crispy skin and doing them slow enough to render their own fat to fry makes them killer.  Just salt, chicken and a pan.

GsBYkIM.jpg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Half chicken and some damn good stovetop stuffing. Been a long time since I had some stovetop

We have stovetop with pork more often than chicken.  Nice and easy side dish.

Tonight was homemade Mac and cheese with ham.

• Like 5

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, HSR said:

Fried chicken thighs, creamy bacon pasta and canned corn.

11 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Me too...although not really fried.  Pan roasted them.  I love crispy skin and doing them slow enough to render their own fat to fry makes them killer.  Just salt, chicken and a pan.

GsBYkIM.jpg

Love chicken thighs…I do them in the air fryer…delicious!

5 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

I use Peanut oil and a little less oil than him, but yum yum get ya some

I used no oil besides seasoning the pan.  Trick is to render the fat out from under the skin and use that.

• Like 1

To render the fat under the skin.

1) Trim the excess fat.  Easiest on a thigh for those without uber sharp knives to do it with a kitchen shears.

2)Puncture the skin in many places.  Dry the chicken with paper towels.

3)Brine the meat.  I prefer a dry brine because I am lazy and it is easy.  ie, liberally coat the thighs in kosher salt and then put on a rack/pan (air on both sides) in the fridge for 3hours or better yet the day before.  (if you wet brine then dry afterwards)

3) Preheat a cast iron pan.  Season once warm (ie enough oil to coat, but you don't need any to pool).  Wiping it with oil and a rag does this as well.

3a) Preheat your oven to 475F

4) Put the chicken skin side down and turn the heat to low/med-low depending on your burner.  Mine are 25k so I use low, most home stoves are 8-10k btu...Brown for 8-10minutes until the skin looks nearly crispy

5) Place in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the skin is crunchy

6) Flip the thighs and cook until they hit 170F in the middle.  3-5 minutes

7) Rest for 5 minutes

The whole process takes nearly no "active" cooking time and will destroy any restaurants roasted chicken you've ever had.  The real key is to get the fat out from under the skin for the "confit" action that really makes it both taste good and crispy.

Last side note, if you ever do a duck breast the process is the same but the rendering takes longer as there is more fat...I would also highly recommend when you do the duck to save the fat like you do with bacon grease as EVERYTHING tastes better cooked in duck fat. My family is addicted to duck fat fried potatoes...

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
23 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

1) Trim the excess fat.  Easiest on a thigh for those without uber sharp knives to do it with a kitchen shears.

3)Brine the meat.  I prefer a dry brine because I am lazy and it is easy.  ie, liberally coat the thighs in kosher salt and then put on a rack/pan (air on both sides) in the fridge for 3hours or better yet the day before.  (if you wet brine then dry afterwards)

3) Preheat a cast iron pan.  Season once warm (ie enough oil to coat, but you don't need any to pool).  Wiping it with oil and a rag does this as well.

4) Put the chicken skin side down and turn the heat to low/med-low depending on your burner.  Mine are 25k so I use low, most home stoves are 8-10k btu...Brown for 8-10minutes until the skin looks nearly crispy

7) Rest for 5 minutes

The whole process takes nearly no "active" cooking time and will destroy any restaurants roasted chicken you've ever had.  The real key is to get the fat out from under the skin for the "confit" action that really makes it both taste good and crispy.

Last side note, if you ever do a duck breast the process is the same but the rendering takes longer as there is more fat...I would also highly recommend when you do the duck to save the fat like you do with bacon grease as EVERYTHING tastes better cooked in duck fat. My family is addicted to duck fat fried potatoes...

We called it Schmaltz when I was growing up on the farm. We use to spread it on rye bread and lightly sprinkle some salt on it. Was delicious. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deephaven said:

7) Rest for 5 minutes

Did you have some sort of Culinary training/schooling or is it just a hobby in which you're incredibly talented at?