What's for dinner???

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

My wife eats cottage cheese and fruit for lunch pretty much every day.  

Tonight it is: braised beef short rib with parmesan thyme mashed potatoes, dill carrots, pickled red onions and mustard seeds with bordelaise sauce....or at least that is what the Delta One menu claims.  Whomever wrote that description needs to be fired, lol.  

Wife has cottage cheese, grapes and granola for breakfast every day.

18 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Tonight it is: braised beef short rib with parmesan thyme mashed potatoes, dill carrots, pickled red onions and mustard seeds with bordelaise sauce....or at least that is what the Delta One menu claims.  Whomever wrote that description needs to be fired, lol.  

Lol, that description and this result.

8lduwyb.jpg

Could have been worse for plane food, but c'mon man.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Making a turkey noodle casserole with my leftover turkey breast I smoked yesterday 

IMG_20220627_202022109.jpg

Edited by Rigid1
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Weisswurst, pretzel, fries, salad, and Pils in a beergarden in Germany.

How much work are you willing to put in?

Depends on how good it is, lol.  What ya got?

3 hours ago, ckf said:

Depends on how good it is, lol.  What ya got?

I am currently in Germany away from my recipe book.  I've done a Pastrami a few times that destroys deli bought and fundamentally the difference is in the spice rub.  Basically you brine the brisket for 5 days, soak in water overnight, dry it and rub, put on the smoker until it hits the stall and then oven steam it to finish.  Montreal is usually done with the whole brisket unlike pastrami where you separate the point from the fat as you can order a montreal fatty which is only if you leave it whole.

I can surely post the whole process with better detail when I get home.  If you want a killer bun recipe for it I can share that as well.  I usually make a tangzhong style brioche that when toasted makes the best fucking sandwich buns ever.  Would be killer with it.  

Let me know if you want it posted.  It isn't hard and the results are well worth it IMO.  I can share both my spice rub and the differences I'd expect from a Montreal, but that part is minimal compared to the technique and approach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I am currently in Germany away from my recipe book.  I've done a Pastrami a few times that destroys deli bought and fundamentally the difference is in the spice rub.  Basically you brine the brisket for 5 days, soak in water overnight, dry it and rub, put on the smoker until it hits the stall and then oven steam it to finish.  Montreal is usually done with the whole brisket unlike pastrami where you separate the point from the fat as you can order a montreal fatty which is only if you leave it whole.

I can surely post the whole process with better detail when I get home.  If you want a killer bun recipe for it I can share that as well.  I usually make a tangzhong style brioche that when toasted makes the best fucking sandwich buns ever.  Would be killer with it.  

Let me know if you want it posted.  It isn't hard and the results are well worth it IMO.  I can share both my spice rub and the differences I'd expect from a Montreal, but that part is minimal compared to the technique and approach.

Yes, please post it when you get home. :thumbsup: