A-10 Warthog's.

• Platinum Contributing Member

2 flew over my home at lunch.   Maybe 1500'-2000' up.   Very rare around here except near the independence day celebrations.   Likely on their way to Madison. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, snatchslayer said:

I would love to see them in flight, in person 

Seen them probably 10 times in airshows.   Very, very cool but honestly suck compared to the jets. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We just had EAA in town and they fly over our house.  What was impressive is they had a P51, P38, A10 and F/A-18 all fly over in a tight formation.   Here was a B17 I believe 

20210730_175551.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The A 10s used to be stationed at two airports near the house a few years back but now the air force is taking them back from the ANG and upgrading the electronics and putting them at active AFB's. Always liked to see them fly but now the local ANG has F 15's so the noise is better. 

1 hour ago, Big Crappie said:

We've been having C130's flying over 3 in line real low over the lake lately. I thought I had a great video but forgot to hit the record button. :bh:

We only have 1 air base in MN i always find it odd seeing them out of the metro especaly up in the Northwoods 

1 minute ago, Big Crappie said:

They are flying out of Camp Ripley on training flights.

I was not sure if there strip was big enough for those big pigs . I have looked a few times at satellite footage and never see big 4 engines parked around the strip . 

I have seen small jets low over 371 . And the big twin prop choppers a lot 

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

I was not sure if there strip was big enough for those big pigs . I have looked a few times at satellite footage and never see big 4 engines parked around the strip . 

I have seen small jets low over 371 . And the big twin prop choppers a lot 

c130's can land and take off on  3000FT runway. Ripley has a 6100ft and 3500ft.

2 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

We've been having C130's flying over 3 in line real low over the lake lately. I thought I had a great video but forgot to hit the record button. :bh:

I work beside the airport in wpg and I've seen Hercules a bunch of times. And probably once per month f18s ,I think that's what they were. Beyond loud as fuck. 

Some years ago when KI Sawyer was still operational we would see B52's and other aircraft fly just above tree tops by our place in Northern Wisconsin.  It was impressive to see.

Arguably the most stout, most effective close air support jet ever made.  It’s slow moving ability can send some serious lead into targets for a more accurately and at a more sustained rate.  Very respected by ground troops.

12 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

I thought they quit doing that formation.  The old heat seekers were a little indiscriminate with the three tight pattern.  Wonder if they are trying a new flying strategy?

MN traffic is essentially used for training.  Their simulator is in the south metro.  They hop in the planes and drop concrete chunks up north for live drop training.

31 minutes ago, favoritos said:

I thought they quit doing that formation.  The old heat seekers were a little indiscriminate with the three tight pattern.  Wonder if they are trying a new flying strategy?

MN traffic is essentially used for training.  Their simulator is in the south metro.  They hop in the planes and drop concrete chunks up north for live drop training.

A guy at work is a retired guard c130 flight mechanic and he told me they are training flights and said he had actually flown the route before retirement 10 years ago. The south end of our lake is a way point evidently.

They fly over our place up north all the time because there is a bombing range not far from us. Was up two weekends ago and they were circling the lake a few hundred feet over the tree tops. They make a noise that totally gives them away. Had them flying over us, again just off the tree tops, a few winters ago while riding the sleds with the family. All I heard was the engine scream at first and thought I had a driveshaft bearing going out on the sled. Then I caught one out of the corner of my eye. He was almost right above me. Could almost make out the pilot’s face. One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen while out riding snowmobiles. 

We (white mtn area, nh) get warthogs flying sround here usually each month (sometimes several) and typically for 1/2 he sometimes more. Always cool, unless on phone with customers. Lololol

Not Warthogs, but this just happened 45 minutes ago

https://m.facebook.com/groups/830382647075496/permalink/4137158889731172/

Edited by CFM

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 3:02 PM, Highmark said:

2 flew over my home at lunch.   Maybe 1500'-2000' up.   Very rare around here except near the independence day celebrations.   Likely on their way to Madison. 

Military base is about 50 miles from my place about 15 years ago while we were on a sled ride taking a break on top of a big hill we see one coming and he sees us turns a little bit and flies right over us at about 500 ft up man was that cool.  See fighter nets all the time too.