What was the first sled you blew the motor up on?

On 8/5/2021 at 7:17 AM, Zambroski said:

It’s funny but I was thinking about motor work.  My old man was a weekend drag racer so, I had my hands greasy while I was still shitting diapers but, who remembers rebuilding Briggs and Stratons in HS shop class?  I wonder if they even have shop class options anymore?  Prolly did away with it  with that nasty, toxic masculinity breeding phys ed shit!

A world of helpless pussies needing government hand holding now.

We rebuilt gm super charged 3800 engines in shop class. That’s would have been 21 years ago. 

11 hours ago, Not greg b said:

We rebuilt gm super charged 3800 engines in shop class. That’s would have been 21 years ago. 

We did a “group” rebuild of a Chevy 6 banger from some POS.  Pffft.  I was building a Pontiac 400, 90 degree ram air and adding a Muncie rock crusher to my 68 firebird at the time.  :lmao:

“What’s the correct torque number for the spark plugs?”   :lol:

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

“What’s the correct torque number for the spark plugs?”   :lol:

German way = Gutentitght

Canadian Way = tighten it till it breaks, then back off a touch.

55 minutes ago, Doug said:

I case somebody needs a quick fix here's a piston repair kit

Piston fix.jpg

Torque spec on those screws?  Loctite?

Crazy part is that the motor apparently ran.  They probably used a paper grocery bag for gasket material.

1 hour ago, favoritos said:

Torque spec on those screws?  Loctite?

Crazy part is that the motor apparently ran.  They probably used a paper grocery bag for gasket material.

HAHA funny true story I got. 

One of my first few times out west we were in Togwotee area. I had a shitbox IQ 700 that I turned into an RMK. Was just getting into mtn riding and didnt want to buy a proper mtn sled. 

Anyway one of the circlips holding the wrist pin came out and tore shit up a little. Couldn't find any pistons anywhere close to us. But one dealer had some circlips. So one of the workers at Lava mountain lodge was going to town anyway, he picked it up for us. 

The base gasket came out in a bunch of pieces like usual and nobody had one either. So we used a Leinenkugels beer carton. Must have took an hour to cut that thing just right to fit properly. Smeared some black RTV silicone on it and slapped it together. 

Fucking thing ran fine the rest of the week. It was down on power, the piston and cylinder were pretty scratched, but the homemade gasket worked fine. It was probably a bit thicker that the actual paper gasket so Im sure that didnt help either. IIRC compression on that cylinder was around 90psi when I checked at home after trip. The good cylinder was around 150psi. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2021 at 12:04 PM, Zambroski said:

I’m also reminded of something with all these older sleds in this thread, it was sure a lot easier and much cheaper to fix them.  Now, it’s an expensive and time consuming ordeal to pop one.  

Yeah the days of picking up a old xlt or the like tip it on its side and seeking it in to a motel room to do a top end with some heat are long gone lol 

On 8/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, 800renegaderider said:

Lol what about a crank. Best blow up for me was when my gade blew it just stopped moving but was still running. I’m like sweet probably just blew a belt easy enough. Open the side panel wtf why is my clutch fallen off did the bolt come loose strange. Pick up clutch heart sinks oh fuck me the crank ends in the clutch. The joys of snowmobiling 😂 

Polaris 800s twins did that a lot in the modern early twin yrs . Was there for 2 of them 

• Sad 1

It’s funny but I was thinking about motor work.  My old man was a weekend drag racer so, I had my hands greasy while I was still shitting diapers but, who remembers rebuilding Briggs and Stratons in HS shop class?  I wonder if they even have shop class options anymore?  Prolly did away with it  with that nasty, toxic masculinity breeding phys ed shit!

I know my HS dumped shop classes about 4 yrs after I was out . Pretty sad really . Every guy should know how to clean a carb and do some bad garage welding.  Really it is tge green thing to do when yiu think about it for more than 5 seconds.  I have buds with younger brothers that missed out on those shop classes.  Not that much younger but still just inept.  Hell I was glad they had cooking classes in HS till then I pretty much ate shitty frozen pizza pizza rolls and Mac and cheese and sandwiches lol .

We did the B&S rebuilds too:thumbsup: The last shop class teacher(retired now) had the class build a short box chevy 4X4 mud bogger and 1 kid got to run it in the mudbogs in the summer each year,pretty cool.

They're building a new jk-12 school here and it will have an auto shop and woodworking shop:thumbsup:

24 minutes ago, HSR said:

We did the B&S rebuilds too:thumbsup: The last shop class teacher(retired now) had the class build a short box chevy 4X4 mud bogger and 1 kid got to run it in the mudbogs in the summer each year,pretty cool.

They're building a new jk-12 school here and it will have an auto shop and woodworking shop:thumbsup:

Outstanding!  I’m sure libtwats are having a fit about it too.  Just give them another art class.