What was the first sled you blew the motor up on?

Scariest ride I had was blowing a track at over 90 mph and going past the gun at 102 mph.  Luckily it was early in the season and glare ice.  Almost became a hood ornament on a ford truck and looked like Fred Frinstone trying to stop and keep it straight and not get sideways to start rolling.  Took for ever to stop.  They all laugh once they seen me stop cause I gained MPH after the track blow.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Doug said:

Scariest ride I had was blowing a track at over 90 mph and going past the gun at 102 mph.  Luckily it was early in the season and glare ice.  Almost became a hood ornament on a ford truck and looked like Fred Frinstone trying to stop and keep it straight and not get sideways to start rolling.  Took for ever to stop.  They all laugh once they seen me stop cause I gained MPH after the track blow.

@Tommcat said he can swap out belts and tracks before the sled even comes to a stop.  Now, I’m no judge but….that’s talent!!!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, snatchslayer said:

Haven't blew up anything yet

That has to be the most amazing one I've heard. :D

I've been through a few myself. . . . .

I never mod the motors.  They fail fast enough without go fast goodies.

My first new sled that popped was a 97 ZR 440 during the first night.  That sled was a runner and a piston eater.  Fat jetting probably slowed down the rate to about once a season.  EFI has slowed it down to about one every two years on new iron.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

It’s funny how the term “blown up” really doesn’t fit at all.  Unless you toss a rod, It’s one of the most anti-climactic experiences there is.  The “experience” for those that know what is happening is the heart stopping moment of it all.  Like, simultaneously asking “why is my sled losing power?”and saying “oh no” at the same time. …..out with a whimper it goes.

679D490E-811B-4C16-AD8B-5908F182A68A.jpeg

Lol what about a crank. Best blow up for me was when my gade blew it just stopped moving but was still running. I’m like sweet probably just blew a belt easy enough. Open the side panel wtf why is my clutch fallen off did the bolt come loose strange. Pick up clutch heart sinks oh fuck me the crank ends in the clutch. The joys of snowmobiling 😂 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

@Tommcat said he can swap out belts and tracks before the sled even comes to a stop.  Now, I’m no judge but….that’s talent!!!!

Well he wouldn't have had to remove the track I took care of that

• Haha 1

First piston I wrecked was a 1998 Indy 600 twin. I ran it too lean, put a hole in the top of the piston. Not really "blown up".

First sled engine I "blown" or more accurately, destroyed, was a 2012 Poo RMK 800. Rod bearings disappeared and ventilated the cases, wrecked the cylinder, wrecked the dome in the head. About 2 miles off the trail in Togwotee. That was fun getting it out....

I bought a used 2014 800 engine that had the crank snap at the clutch, but was otherwise in very good shape. Used the crank snub off the 2012 on the 14 crank, slapped some new pistons in, and put er in. Runs great, though its a back sled now and rarely gets used. I got about 150 miles on it since I replaced the engine almost 4 years ago just to make sure its good to go. 

I got 2k on my 18 RMK, so gotta go through it this fall, and its getting new pistons regardless. 

I've wrecked alot of race car engines over my years of racing. These sled engines are much cheaper. LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Did ya catch a ring on the APV valve?

Nope, I shimmed those out a long time ago.  Mine was more operator error than anything.  I've had really good luck with the cat motors.  Last year we did blow up the 96 jag motor but my brother was on it when it expired and we were racing back to back to back many times and for way too long and that thing didn't owe us anything.

• Like 1

It’s funny but I was thinking about motor work.  My old man was a weekend drag racer so, I had my hands greasy while I was still shitting diapers but, who remembers rebuilding Briggs and Stratons in HS shop class?  I wonder if they even have shop class options anymore?  Prolly did away with it  with that nasty, toxic masculinity breeding phys ed shit!

A world of helpless pussies needing government hand holding now.

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It’s funny but I was thinking about motor work.  My old man was a weekend drag racer so, I had my hands greasy while I was still shitting diapers but, who remembers rebuilding Briggs and Stratons in HS shop class?  I wonder if they even have shop class options anymore?  Prolly did away with it  with that nasty, toxic masculinity breeding phys ed shit!

Yep we did that too in high school. Our school still has shop class but not sure if they do small engines anymore. My sister in law teaches ag Ed and has did small engines at the last school she taught at.

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Right.  They probably read about people getting their hands dirty and rebuilding a small engine.  Current classes teach them how to plug in the charger for the electric lawnmower that some guy comes over to cut the grass with.  

As far as the old Briggs and Stratton a couple washer under the valve springs gave them a little higher RPM range.

• Like 1

I was lucky, we had a pretty good industrial tech program.  I took all the small engines, all the autos, all the metals, all the woods.  Most of them the final classed you got honors credit for them too.  I still use most of those skills all the time and it is directly the result of my career choice.  I wish I would have taken the construction classes where they built a manufactured home, I am not the most comfortable with building structures and the proper ways to do things.

Wife's 1989 Pantera, 440 LC, was a surprisingly quick machine. Lost a retaining pin across a lake, took out piston and jug.

Easy to work on, cheap to fix. Worse part was listening to her bitch about being stuck 100 kilometers from home

3 hours ago, 122 said:

My 2001 ZR440 was a timebomb, I took out a couple cylinders and pistons with that thing.

02 440 sno pro was my first.  Can't remember specifics but new pistons and reman cylinder and it was good to go.