What was the first sled you blew the motor up on?

First sled I rode that blew up was my dad's 1995 EXT ... although at the time it had over 6K miles on it.  First sled I actually OWNED that blew up was my 2012 Pro-R Switchback after I put in a "durability kit" (irony at its finest).  The original engine with just under 3K miles on it actually looked really good.

72 skidoo 335 , motor was rebuilt by previous owner and not correct. The flywheel was loose and wore out the crank key way, and a circlip fell out of the piston, the wrist pin was trying to cut a new transfer port in the cylinder.  It was at night when it siezed up. I remember thinking if the motor died why is the headlight still on, but when I opened the hood I seen the the muffer was white hot glowing. The motor was a mess of junk when I tore it down.

Edited by MnDean

DUMB/Drunk me...

New Years- (just after midnight) 1/1/98 At bar time. Heavy snow in Silver City Michigan. Decided it would be smart to walk out of the bar, Start my sled, and pin it WFO down the highway towards the Porkies...... '98 Arctic Cat ZR600 Early Release COLD SEIZED......

What was scary is that it was heavy snow dust and a whole crew behind me. When it cold seized, everything went black and no behind me could see me.....I was lucky that no one hit me as they zooomed by.....

The old sleds could be rebuilt in a few hours in an afternoon.... ALSO, your local dealer used to carry the parts. Run to the dealer, get parts, rebuild. Be back on the trail the next weekend......

Now, it takes forever just to disassemble one....

I blow the same sled up twice in one day.  Bought a 91 RXL to flip and took it out on the lake just to run it.  We had a track plowed so made a good run and took a piston out.  Jug wasn't hurt and clean up easy case looked clean inside so put a piston in drained the gas put new in and 2nd pass took another piston out.  Different one this time.  Got it back and smelt of gas so checked a little further found the elbow by the fuel pump had a crack in and would only leak when the sled was running.

There's been others over the years also. 

It’s funny how the term “blown up” really doesn’t fit at all.  Unless you toss a rod, It’s one of the most anti-climactic experiences there is.  The “experience” for those that know what is happening is the heart stopping moment of it all.  Like, simultaneously asking “why is my sled losing power?”and saying “oh no” at the same time. …..out with a whimper it goes.

679D490E-811B-4C16-AD8B-5908F182A68A.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

It’s funny how the term “blown up” really doesn’t fit at all.  Unless you toss a rod, It’s one of the most anti-climactic experiences there is.  The “experience” for those that know what is happening is the heart stopping moment of it all.  Like, simultaneously asking “why is my sled losing power?”and saying “oh no” at the same time. …..out with a whimper it goes.

679D490E-811B-4C16-AD8B-5908F182A68A.jpeg

On of my zr600s had a rod snap and it almost cut the case in 1/2 

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The “experience” for those that know what is happening is the heart stopping moment of it all.  Like, simultaneously asking “why is my sled losing power?”and saying “oh no” at the same time. …..out with a whimper it goes.

Ahhhhh yes and the sudden change in engine tone. Next thought is usually how da fuck are we getting this home :lol:

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

Ahhhhh yes and the sudden change in engine tone. Next thought is usually how da fuck are we getting this home :lol:

I love the lies we tell ourselves trail side.

”It’s just a foiled plug”.

“The recoil is just stuck.”

”It must be something electrical.”

”I’m sure it’s something simple.”

…all the while, we know we’ll be cracking jug bolts by nightfall. :lol:

LOL…I think me and my riding partner agreed during our trailside diagnosis that I just had a bad coil on my last one.  :lol:

”Yeah, yeah…that’s it….it’s just a bad coil. Yeah…it’s gotta be.  It’s clearly not getting enough spark.”  Neither of us believed that shit.  As I limped the fart box home….I was like, “yuh…a bad fucking coil!  That’s the ticket!!!!!”

9BB4F16D-7AC2-4E69-AE98-E7DBA8D4AC0B.gif

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

First sled I rode that blew up was my dad's 1995 EXT ... although at the time it had over 6K miles on it.  First sled I actually OWNED that blew up was my 2012 Pro-R Switchback after I put in a "durability kit" (irony at its finest).  The original engine with just under 3K miles on it actually looked really good.

sounds like retarded operator error to me. good job american faggot