I’m a Fuckhead…

7 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

That was a pucker moment. :lol: 

I literally sucked up a square foot of leather into my ass as I saw it donkeying around back there.  Sweet fucking Moses!

Welcome back!  I’ve missed you! ;)

• Gold Member

Amazing how many people this happens too - My 6X14 enclosed came of the ball last winter with 2 Yamaha tanks in it, thank God that the chains held, as stated above I had them criss/crossed and wound up to take slack out - made a nice cradle for the tongue to drop onto, scared the shit out of me watching that thing sway back and forth as I am trying to slowly slow down to keep it from slamming into the back of the SUV.  Got lucky and now I always check to make sure the little fork is under the ball before leaving.

3 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Don,t forget to cross the chains when hooking up, wound up tight even to not drag on the ground. That should keep the tongue from digging into the pavement, and flipping the trailer onto you.

Yep.  They should look like crossed, tight braided lines.  Amazing how many don’t do this.  The reason for it is why I was able to hold onto and control my trailer when the hitch did not.

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Amazing how many people this happens too - My 6X14 enclosed came of the ball last winter with 2 Yamaha tanks in it, thank God that the chains held, as stated above I had them criss/crossed and wound up to take slack out - made a nice cradle for the tongue to drop onto, scared the shit out of me watching that thing sway back and forth as I am trying to slowly slow down to keep it from slamming into the back of the SUV.  Got lucky and now I always check to make sure the little fork is under the ball before leaving.

I’ve been pulling trailers out of the water since I was 12 or so with my old man.  Been around trailers and shit my whole life.  That’s my point in this thread.  All it takes is just a second of confused assumption and BAM!  Disaster.  I still don’t know how I mistakenly grabbed the wrong hitch….and failed to notice through hook up.  :wall:

• Like 1

i've started pinning the hitch.   i never did on anything but my boat trailer.  which i sold to a friends dad and he had it pop off and go through the tailgate.  I have forgotten to close it while loading and put a ding in a tailgate when ti came off but thats it.  

My buddy does  6 straps on his SxS.  mine gets an over the wheel strap on both fronts and thats it.  

Pulled a @Zambroski at the boat launch last night.  The lake was down quite a bit so I had to back up quit a ways down the ramp to even get the jet ski touching water.  The ramp drops way off just like the damage due to power loading looks like.  When I went to pull the trailer and ski out the hitch jumped right off the ball!  I know the latch didn't come undone since I have a keyed lock on it and it was still locked down.  Maybe I didn't have the coupler on the ball correctly or it just isn't set right?  Both are 2".  

Anyways, no big deal and no damage done.  Just lifted the trailer put and set up back on the ball and went home.  I'll have to see if I can adjust the coupler tighter so it doesn't come undone on the highway.

Minnesota Woods and wildlife — MN Department of Natural Resources | News |  moraminn.com

16 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Pulled a @Zambroski at the boat launch last night.  The lake was down quite a bit so I had to back up quit a ways down the ramp to even get the jet ski touching water.  The ramp drops way off just like the damage due to power loading looks like.  When I went to pull the trailer and ski out the hitch jumped right off the ball!  I know the latch didn't come undone since I have a keyed lock on it and it was still locked down.  Maybe I didn't have the coupler on the ball correctly or it just isn't set right?  Both are 2".  

Anyways, no big deal and no damage done.  Just lifted the trailer put and set up back on the ball and went home.  I'll have to see if I can adjust the coupler tighter so it doesn't come undone on the highway.

Minnesota Woods and wildlife — MN Department of Natural Resources | News |  moraminn.com

LOL...glad no harm.  I like the screw down coupler styles the best.  You can really get a tight hold on it.  Spring auto couplers can be problematic in out of the ordinary circumstances.

• 4 months later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member
On 7/31/2021 at 12:24 PM, Frostynuts said:

Don,t forget to cross the chains when hooking up, wound up tight even to not drag on the ground. That should keep the tongue from digging into the pavement, and flipping the trailer onto you.

Was towing an old smith air compressor made from a ford 460. Hitch gave out and the crossed chains was all that saved it.