Found my diff noise

Back in the mid 80s I had a 76 Dodge charger Daytona.  That fucker would Auge a hole in the rim around the lugs in about 250 mi . Had it aligned did not fix it . Can't even remember what I did with that pos . 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, Catalina said:

My first car was a '68 Beetle. Had a leaky axle seal in the back when I got it, I replaced it, but the drum back on, bolted on the wheels and called it done. Those had one big castle nut and cotter pin that held the drum on the axle, and four bolts (not nuts) to hold the wheel to the drum. What I didn't know is the torque spec for the castle nut is something like 120 ft lbs. I got it tight, but not that tight. 

A few weeks later (I had my license for about 3 months) I was on the highway. The nut worked loose, would up shearing the cotter pin, and fell into the hubcap. Drum and wheel came off the axle, got up in the fender. Was doing about 60, so it was quite a ride to the side of the road. 

I managed to get the drum back on, tightened it as best I could with no tools, and found a wire to put through the castle nut (bread tie or something like that). Limped to a shop. The guy got me a used drum, the spline was a mess from the axle riding in it. Put it back together and tightened everything up right, and it was fine after that. Wound up tearing off the running board, not that it mattered much on my $400 VW. As soon as the weather got cold, that thing had to go, no heat at all because the heater boxes were rotted, which was common. 

Same here. '72 Super Beetle. Drove it for 1 summer and parked it for the winter once it got cold out. Got tired of scraping the windshield from the inside. But I learned to drive stick with it. Next was a '81 Jimmy with a 6 cyl. 4 speed.

I don't understand why the wear is all on a single side of the lug and hole?

I've seen wear from loose lugs quite often.  I've never seen wear isolated to one side.  Is there something else going on in the drivetrain?

2 hours ago, favoritos said:

I don't understand why the wear is all on a single side of the lug and hole?

I've seen wear from loose lugs quite often.  I've never seen wear isolated to one side.  Is there something else going on in the drivetrain?

I hope not. Haven't dug into it deeper yet