Walz celebrates clean car standards taking effect in Minnesota

Walz mandating electric vehicles are on dealers' lots which he is "thinking about" an electric F150.  

Watch the press conference yesterday.  All the California liberal talking points right here in Eden Prairie, MN!  https://fb.watch/6-UZKtzBY1/ 

ST PAUL, Minn. — After years of back and forth between lawmakers at the capitol, on Monday Gov. Tim Walz is celebrating the passage of the Clean Cars Minnesota plan, bringing new environmental standards for the state of Minnesota.

Walz, Commissioner Peter Tester of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) and others will gather at 12:30 p.m. Monday.

According to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Clean Cars plan would require all new passenger vehicles sold in Minnesota to be more fuel efficient and produce less pollution. The standards also mean more options for ultra-low or zero-emission vehicles, like electric and plug-in hybrid models, will be available for consumers.

Walz originally rolled out the Clean Cars Minnesota plan in 2019 as way to force automakers to sell more electric vehicles, which they'd have to do in order to meet higher fuel economy standards. In general, better fuel economy leads to lower average levels of harmful tailpipe emissions.

Approved earlier this year by an administrative judge, the emissions rule was passed as part of the 2022-23 state budget plan and is set to go into effect for the 2025 model year.

"Why would we not take a lead? Why would we not get ahead on this?" Walz told KARE 11 in May.

Back in June, when lawmakers were still debating the state budget, Senate Natural Resources Committee Chair Bill Ingebrigtsen of Alexandria said he'd hold up funding for the MPCA and DNR if Walz didn't pull the Clean Cars Act. But Senate Republican Leader Paul Gazelka's Majority Caucus decided it would be best to fight that battle at the ballot box.

"That will not be implemented until 2024, which means this becomes an election issue as we look forward," Gazelka remarked at the time.

The state's auto dealers also opposed the rules because it would require them to make room on their lots for electric vehicles – cars they believe will end up being too expensive to sell in Minnesota.

The new rules would only apply to consumer vehicles, and Gov. Walz has said that off-road farm equipment and construction vehicles won't be included in the standards.

9 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

I saw this as well - if it works in the cities closest to the countries tallest buildings, its good for everyone, right??

They went on and on yesterday about one of them having to drive an hour and a half to a dealer that had the car they wanted stocked so the solution was a government mandate that all dealers must stock them.  It's like they think dealers won't stock what people want to buy?

In reality, it is to force the manufacturers to make the cars people don't want and then stick the dealers with cars they can't move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You’d think capitalism wouldn’t been able to figure this out on it’s own.

Or tax credit the shit out of them until you get the demand you want rather than forcing the dealers to hold the inventory with unknown demand.

10 minutes ago, akvanden said:

Or tax credit the shit out of them until you get the demand you want rather than forcing the dealers to hold the inventory with unknown demand.

Capitalism has figured it out. Electric cars don’t sell particularly well without massive incentives. That’s why they aren’t well represented  on car lots. Walz is a fucking moron 

Edited by f7ben
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, akvanden said:

How many “ green cars “ do you own?

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Capitalism has figured it out. Electric cars don’t sell particularly well without massive incentives. That’s why they aren’t well repainted on car lots. Walz is a fucking moron 

2 minutes ago, Sleepr2 said:

How many “ green cars “ do you own?

None, that’s why I think this is a stupid idea. Let capitalism figure it out.

What’s the confusion? 

Someone needs to send this picture to our dumbass governor (shared by a friend of mine):

"When your electric powered car runs outta electricity ya call a gas powered tow truck to come take you to a charging station."

image.png.01319383cd1108b06eeb6e6678d3360d.png

I thought I may have to get an emissions test!  Whew!

I guess if you want an electric car, you are too stupid to talk to a dealer on your own so, now…they are forced to carry the cars and the notes on their parking lots for these granola’d up, half-wits?

Yes, this makes sense.

57 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I thought I may have to get an emissions test!  Whew!

That's what I was worried about, granted I no longer own a vehicle with a "modified" exhaust, but still. 

9 hours ago, akvanden said:

That's what I was worried about, granted I no longer own a vehicle with a "modified" exhaust, but still. 

Those emissions tests are a massive money grab like no other I’ve ever seen.  At least the private sector can grab some of it with our “rulers”.

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, akvanden said:

None, that’s why I think this is a stupid idea. Let capitalism figure it out.

What’s the confusion? 

The confusion came when it seemed like you wanted tax credit incentives. Or basicly making others pay for a portion of ones auto purchase

10 hours ago, Bontz said:

Someone needs to send this picture to our dumbass governor (shared by a friend of mine):

"When your electric powered car runs outta electricity ya call a gas powered tow truck to come take you to a charging station."

image.png.01319383cd1108b06eeb6e6678d3360d.png

I see electric vehicle owners similar to mini-van owners.  Just not real bright but, love to be seen as some sort of pinnacle of  practicality, sensibility and intellectual excellence.

Ughhh….just steer your shit into the slow lane and stay out of the fucking way!  :lmao:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

The confusion came when it seemed like you wanted tax credit incentives. Or basicly making others pay for a portion of ones auto purchase

It would be more efficient than forcing dealerships to purchase and have assets sitting on the lot.

18 minutes ago, akvanden said:

It would be more efficient than forcing dealerships to purchase and have assets sitting on the lot.

Both are and will be done.  

We NEEdZ MorE gOverNmenT intErvBentiOn inTHe PriVate SecTors to Live PropErly aNd foR Da grEater Guudz!!!!

18 minutes ago, akvanden said:

Well, isn't it ironic with the current new car issues, that dealerships would probably welcome additional assets on their lots..... Will EV's change that?  Not in the short term, in fact, I suspect it will be even more difficult!  

10 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Well, isn't it ironic with the current new car issues, that dealerships would probably welcome additional assets on their lots..... Will EV's change that?  Not in the short term, in fact, I suspect it will be even more difficult!  

It’s unlikely any dealers view these vehicles as true “assets”.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I see electric vehicle owners similar to mini-van owners.  Just not real bright but, love to be seen as some sort of pinnacle of  practicality, sensibility and intellectual excellence.

Ughhh….just steer your shit into the slow lane and stay out of the fucking way!  :lmao:

Sorry fella, but my wife in her M.V. is going by you in the left lane like you are standing still.  Just rolled 300k miles.  

If you saw all our vehicles, we look like someone you'd need to buy lunch for.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Sorry fella, but my wife in her M.V. is going by you in the left lane like you are standing still.  Just rolled 300k miles.  

If you saw all our vehicles, we look like someone you'd need to buy lunch for.  :lol:

:lol:

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, akvanden said:

It would be efficient to do away with the credit and when the consumer is ready to support the e car industry they will.

I can imagine some of the small town dealers (and Dodge) are just jumping at the chance to have vehicles sitting on their lot they won't sell unless someone from the Shitties or Duluf relieves them of it via dealer transfer.  

• Like 1

We wore out three mini vans when girls were little!!

Drove our Chevy venture to Orlando one year.Think it had over 200k on it!

80mph all the way!we figured if it died we’d pick up another one on the way but she made it with flying colors!!!😁

slow lane he says!!😂