new old boat

5 minutes ago, polaris7541 said:

need some tips on launch and getting back on trailer

Whaddya' think  we are, mind-readers? 

Where's the pics?

Are you asking how to launch, and how to get it back on?

I had a 17' Tracker that we used to launch or load back on, in about one minute. However both of us could drive the truck or boat. 

If you have a helper, you can launch in seconds. Even if you don't have a helper you can launch quickly. 

4 minutes ago, polaris7541 said:

oh well

Sorry I won't hijack your thread...what's your concern? 

Make sure the motor is trimmed up, plugs in, rope is tied to the boat and have at it.

Trailer depth is a big part of it...learn where your boat is unweighted and not quite floating 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SkisNH said:

Sorry I won't hijack your thread...what's your concern? 

Make sure the motor is trimmed up, plugs in, rope is tied to the boat and have at it.

Trailer depth is a big part of it...learn where your boat is unweighted and not quite floating 

k tanks

• Gold Member
3 hours ago, polaris7541 said:

need some tips on launch and getting back on trailer

Since you need help launching and retrieving your boat I'm going to assume you have minimal if any experience backing a trailer. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance. If you don't, go to a large parking lot and practice BEFORE you go to the launch. Backing isn't really that hard but you gotta do it a few times to get the hang of it. You will be glad you did and so will everyone at the ramp.

Have your lines ready to go and easily accessible. I like really long lines that way someone can stand on the dock with lines in hand while you back the boat into the water. You dock person should have one line from the bow and one from the stern so they can easily control the vessel and pull it to the dock.

Don't forget the plug!!! If you remove the plug whenever you haul it, make sure to leave it somewhere that is highly visible so you are less likely to forget it when next you launch it.

Retrieving the boat is a bit tougher and takes some practice to get good at. I like to back the trailer in just enough so that the I have to power on the last 2-3 feet.  Basically line up as straight as you can and approach the trailer slowly. if you have a bunk trailer you should have little issue centering the boat on the trailer. With rollers it can be slightly harder. Either way make sure you are centered or very nearly so. Hook up you trailer winch and sung it up tight. 

Now as most will tell you the object is to launch the boat in the water and not on the asphalt. Therefore when towing around town it is best to have safety chains in the bow and straps in the stern. Go ahead...as me how I know.  :lol:

If you have a friend with you go over what your plan is in advance so that each of you know what the other will be trying to do.  That way you aren't screaming at each other while everyone is laughing (or screaming) at you. Also assume your will be walking in the water and dress appropriately.

Lastly, ignore Polaris550, he is as crazy as a shit house rat but completely harmless. 

alot of good input tanks and

2 hours ago, Kivalo said:

Since you need help launching and retrieving your boat I'm going to assume you have minimal if any experience backing a trailer. If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance. If you don't, go to a large parking lot and practice BEFORE you go to the launch. Backing isn't really that hard but you gotta do it a few times to get the hang of it. You will be glad you did and so will everyone at the ramp.

Have your lines ready to go and easily accessible. I like really long lines that way someone can stand on the dock with lines in hand while you back the boat into the water. You dock person should have one line from the bow and one from the stern so they can easily control the vessel and pull it to the dock.

Don't forget the plug!!! If you remove the plug whenever you haul it, make sure to leave it somewhere that is highly visible so you are less likely to forget it when next you launch it.

Retrieving the boat is a bit tougher and takes some practice to get good at. I like to back the trailer in just enough so that the I have to power on the last 2-3 feet.  Basically line up as straight as you can and approach the trailer slowly. if you have a bunk trailer you should have little issue centering the boat on the trailer. With rollers it can be slightly harder. Either way make sure you are centered or very nearly so. Hook up you trailer winch and sung it up tight. 

Now as most will tell you the object is to launch the boat in the water and not on the asphalt. Therefore when towing around town it is best to have safety chains in the bow and straps in the stern. Go ahead...as me how I know.  :lol:

If you have a friend with you go over what your plan is in advance so that each of you know what the other will be trying to do.  That way you aren't screaming at each other while everyone is laughing (or screaming) at you. Also assume your will be walking in the water and dress appropriately.

Lastly, ignore Polaris550, he is as crazy as a shit house rat but completely harmless. 

can back a trailer not too bad been towin sleds for awhile

• Like 2

The most important thing is to GO SLOWLY.

The secret is getting deep enough so your boat is almost floating off the trailer. Then your helper, or you can easily pull/push the boat off, or conversely, getting it back on the trailer.

Once you've gone through this procedure once, you'll know what to do. Go SLOWLY, and DOUBLE-CHECK everything. 

Also, consider finding some one who can do a launch/ re-load with you. Hands on instruction is the best way to learn this.

Oh yeah, don't listen to Kivalo. He dropped a boat off a trailer on the street. Do ya' really want him tellin' ya' how to launch/ load a boat!!! 

Oh yeah, don't listen to SKISNH. I just checked and he's posted against me, so he's no fukkin good. He's a  dirty scumbag. 

Probably a lousy contractor of some type, and probably rips people off. 

5 hours ago, Kivalo said:

This coming from Capt Hazelwood who dropped a boat in the road:lol:

JK:bc: couldn't resist 

• Haha 1

Float your boat.

It seems basic, but it makes things easier. 

I mention it because that boat is relatively heavy with a deep draft at the stern.  Ramps vary quite a bit and the right ramp will make a difference.  A low angle ramp will be a challenge trying to get deep enough without sinking the tow.  A steep angle will float the boat, but you still need to pull the weight up the ramp.

Not sure if you have low water issues in your area this year?  That can create challenges.  I'd walk the ramp to verify it doesn't have a drop off past the "ramp" section.  It is a whole different game when you drop the wheels.  The moss/algae line can also be a challenge with low water.  It will seem higher as the water drops.  Tires spin super nice on low traffic ramps with lots of green gunk.

I have dinked around with a few different ramps and rigs over the years. ;)  Two people or more is obvious, but you need two that are competent when things are going to crap.  I've used boats to "push start" rigs up on crappy ramps.  That isn't a trick I'd try with a rookie.

• Gold Member
37 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Float your boat.

It seems basic, but it makes things easier. 

I mention it because that boat is relatively heavy with a deep draft at the stern.  Ramps vary quite a bit and the right ramp will make a difference.  A low angle ramp will be a challenge trying to get deep enough without sinking the tow.  A steep angle will float the boat, but you still need to pull the weight up the ramp.

Not sure if you have low water issues in your area this year?  That can create challenges.  I'd walk the ramp to verify it doesn't have a drop off past the "ramp" section.  It is a whole different game when you drop the wheels.  The moss/algae line can also be a challenge with low water.  It will seem higher as the water drops.  Tires spin super nice on low traffic ramps with lots of green gunk.

I have dinked around with a few different ramps and rigs over the years. ;)  Two people or more is obvious, but you need two that are competent when things are going to crap.  I've used boats to "push start" rigs up on crappy ramps.  That isn't a trick I'd try with a rookie.

These are good points.  :bc:

Some good points.  Proper depth to launch and reload is the absolute critical factor.  Use the fenders on the trailer as a guide to easily figure out exactly where you need to be to launch and more critically get the boat straight on the bunks or rollers when reloading.  As already stated you need someone that knows what they are doing either in the boat to drive it out of the way (or back on the trailer) or standing with ropes to guide it over to the dock.  If you are worried about rashing the boat when loading or unloading make sure you have bumpers to protect the sides where it will come in contact with the dock.  

Busy boat ramps are the best way to otherwise kill a great day on the water.  So much so we gave them up many years ago and they have only gotten worse recently now that everyone is using boating as a way to get away from it all. 

Our go to breakfast spot is also a marina with a public launch.  There is no better free entertainment then having a couple screwdrivers with breakfast watching people launching and loading their boats.   So here is my TOP TIP.....   If you are new to the experience find the launch you plan on using and visit it the first time WITHOUT the boat and trailer and you will learn more in a couple of hours of what NOT to do and what you need to prepare for.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, X2700 said:

Load your shit in boat before you get it  on the ramp!!

sat and watched so many family’s decide to spend 20 minutes on ramp to load boat up for the day!!

Good advice but also watch out for vehicles backing out while you are pulling your trailer around the parking lot.

Make sure battery is charged . If it has been sitting a long time I would have hatch off and be looking to make sure you have no h20 rushing in before unhooked from trailer.  I would deff run it on muffs in driveway before brining to the lake if it has not ran in some time . When doing that also look around motor to make sure no h20 is dumping out . If it was not winterized properly could have piped a freeze  plug. Pull plug on lower unit to make sure it has oil and is not milky . Again if it was sitting you don't know and it will get real expensive if they just pulled plug and planned on refilling in the spring and never did and you take it out. 

Letting shit sit is way harder on it than using it from time to time 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Try backing in an unloaded single place jet ski trailer.  That takes a master's in boating to not look like a total jackass.

I have i single place trailer for my atv.. impossible to back up empty cause can't see the sides and it jack knifes all the time lol. 53 dry van

...I could tread a needle with that thing 

• Like 1