Ram exploded finally

Stupid 05 ram had a noisy lash guide (Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer kept it quite) , death wobble and finally diff went. Looking at a 76 f100 390 2v. Truck is supposedly in great condition.  Thinking of picking it up for 4k , then doing a cam intake 4barrel and duals.  Is it worth the trouble? 

2 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Stupid 05 ram had a noisy lash guide (Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer kept it quite) , death wobble and finally diff went. Looking at a 76 f100 390 2v. Truck is supposedly in great condition.  Thinking of picking it up for 4k , then doing a cam intake 4barrel and duals.  Is it worth the trouble? 

I put a rebuilt 2v 390 out of a 73 f100 in an 82 F100,,,it wasn't very fuel efficient and hard on rear tires.

27 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Is this a serious question yes it’s worth the trouble it’s a classic Ford pick up. Go buy it 😂 

I wasn't sure if they were a decent engine. I know they're beyond gutless in 76 lol

• Platinum Contributing Member

Well Im no ford expert but I beleive if it is a 390 it is a car motor. A truck motor would have been a 391 back in those days.If it is a car motor and a 390 with marauder heads it will be a lotta fun to drive.

29 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Is this a serious question yes it’s worth the trouble it’s a classic Ford pick up. Go buy it 😂 

My Dad had a 74 XLT. I wanted that truck bad when I turned 16 but he traded it in on a 3/4 ton 460 (I believe?) to pull our families trailer. 

The XLT had the 360 in it, IIRC? Identical to this one, without the lift and tires, obviously.

1974-ford-f-100-ranger-xlt-4x4.jpg

• Like 2

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, snatchslayer said:

I wasn't sure if they were a decent engine. I know they're beyond gutless in 76 lol

Ya probably what 150hp it’s easy enough to get some more hp’s out of them though. Maybe get set of 428 head for it that’ll give her some more ponies 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Well Im no ford expert but I beleive if it is a 390 it is a car motor. A truck motor would have been a 391 back in those days.If it is a car motor and a 390 with marauder heads it will be a lotta fun to drive.

390 last used in cars I think 71 but was used in trucks until 78 I believe 

I had 2 different 4x4 trucks with 390's a 73 with a 4 speed and a 74 with an automatic, both were 360's to start with the 390 was much more power than the 360 and back tires didn't last long.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angry ginger said:

always is.  LS is the solution to almost all gas motor questions  Or cummins if we want to talk diesel

Yup

tbh though my next swap might be the newer LT series. They have a much nicer torque curve 

41 minutes ago, snatchslayer said:

Saw the truck...

Not what I was expecting for 4k lol. Ill pass. Why the fuck are used vehicles so expensive all of the sudden 

Just went through this with my son. Almost impossible to find anything decent unless you want to spend big bucks.

Supply is way down and dealers are crying for inventory, both up here and state side, and are offering huge amounts for used. 2013 Ram Bighorn for $25 g's a couple months ago are now $32 to $35 for lower mileage ones, They have gone up that fast, and by no stretch were they cheap prior. My son paid $10 g's for his 2010 Silverado and could likely get $15-$17 now and it was basically just purchased less than 2 months ago! 

When you talked about that $4g's truck you were interested in, I was wondering if things were a little different out west as I thought for $4g's around these parts, you wouldn't get much of anything for that price. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, irv said:

Just went through this with my son. Almost impossible to find anything decent unless you want to spend big bucks.

Supply is way down and dealers are crying for inventory, both up here and state side, and are offering huge amounts for used. 2013 Ram Bighorn for $25 g's a couple months ago are now $32 to $35 for lower mileage ones, They have gone up that fast, and by no stretch were they cheap prior. My son paid $10 g's for his 2010 Silverado and could likely get $15-$17 now and it was basically just purchased less than 2 months ago! 

When you talked about that $4g's truck you were interested in, I was wondering if things were a little different out west as I thought for $4g's around these parts, you wouldn't get much of anything for that price. 

Yeah, its low compression on a few cylinders and needs paint. Bodywork is done and in primer tho. Interior leaves something to be desired.  I wasn't expecting mint by any means , I mean its a 76, but when you tell someone its in great condition....

• Sad 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, irv said:

I stopped by the dealer I deal with ( ford ) on friday. 3 f-150's and no superduties. This is a dealer that dosnt even sell cars, just new ford trucks and SUV's. 

On a normal yr they will sell 6-7 trucks a week

8 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Saw the truck...

Not what I was expecting for 4k lol. Ill pass. Why the fuck are used vehicles so expensive all of the sudden 

I got catfished bad on a truck this winter. MINT low mile 2002 Gmc . Wanted a good dollar but those are good trucks. Only one small scratch on it 

drove over an hour to go see it and it was a beat up pile of shit. Looked like it was parked in a pasture for 5 years. And a cheap tinfoil and bondo job on the rust over the rear tires. Like wtf is wrong with people? You think I’m not going to notice it’s a total piece of shit?

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

I got catfished bad on a truck this winter. MINT low mile 2002 Gmc . Wanted a good dollar but those are good trucks. Only one small scratch on it 

drove over an hour to go see it and it was a beat up pile of shit. Looked like it was parked in a pasture for 5 years. And a cheap tinfoil and bondo job on the rust over the rear tires. Like wtf is wrong with people? You think I’m not going to notice it’s a total piece of shit?

Jesus.  That's brutal. I'd be pissed

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Yeah, its low compression on a few cylinders and needs paint. Bodywork is done and in primer tho. Interior leaves something to be desired.  I wasn't expecting mint by any means , I mean its a 76, but when you tell someone its in great condition....

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Crazy what some people’s version of “clean” is. I always have to ask about 30 different ways if it has any rust because apparently people have different ideas of what rust means. I’ll say as in bubbles, holes, surface rust, brown rust streaks, flaking rust, rust pits, scaley rust anything that has to do with rust 😂. Then if I go to look at it first thing I do is crawl under it and if any sign of lied about rust at all I just walk if there willing to lie about something obvious to see they’ll lie about anything.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Crazy what some people’s version of “clean” is. I always have to ask about 30 different ways if it has any rust because apparently people have different ideas of what rust means. I’ll say as in bubbles, holes, surface rust, brown rust streaks, flaking rust, rust pits, scaley rust anything that has to do with rust 😂. Then if I go to look at it first thing I do is crawl under it and if any sign of lied about rust at all I just walk if there willing to lie about something obvious to see they’ll lie about anything.

So true lol.