• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HSR

• Jimmy Snacks

• joesale

• Jerry 976

16 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

They didn't utilize fast charging.

When you smoke into the charger with 1% remaining and it ain't a fast charger, do you get the gas can out of the trunk and pour in electrons to get you to a fast? :lol:

Edited by Snake

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, Snake said:

When you smoke into the charger with 1% remaining and it ain't a fast charger, do you get the gas can out of the trunk and pour in electrons to get you to a fast? :lol:

A statement like that shows your knowledge on the subject.

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I could avoid gas stations and say the same thing for a gas vehicle.

:lol:

The article exists and it's on WSJ = Not bullshit

3 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

A statement like that shows your knowledge on the subject.

A statement like that shows you will go to any length to try and prop up your argument. :lol:

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

The article exists and it's on WSJ = Not bullshit

The bullshit is the point of the article. You knew that's what I meant.

Just now, Snake said:

A statement like that shows you will go to any length to try and prop up your argument. :lol:

You remember trip tiks back in the day from triple A? They have this wonderful thing on the internet now where you can plan a trip in a EV and it plans your whole route using fast chargers so you can get where you want quicker. 

Come back when your knowledge on the subject is at least up to par.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

The bullshit is the point of the article. You knew that's what I meant.

AH no! You posted one word "Bullshit" in response to a pic / meme I put up. 

1 minute ago, Skidooski said:

AH no! You posted one word "Bullshit" in response to a pic / meme I put up. 

Ok. Believe as you wish.

6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You remember trip tiks back in the day from triple A? They have this wonderful thing on the internet now where you can plan a trip in a EV and it plans your whole route using fast chargers so you can get where you want quicker. 

As we set out, one of the closest (fast chargers) is at a Harley-Davidson dealership in Slidell, La., about 40 minutes away. So we use our Monday-morning breakfast stop to top off there on the way out of town.

But when we tick down 15% over 35 miles? Disconcerting. And the estimated charging time after plugging in? Even more so. This “quick charge” should take 5 minutes, based on our calculations. So why does the dashboard tell us it will take an hour?

“Maybe it’s just warming up,” I say to Mack. “Maybe it’s broken?” she says.

Over Egg McMuffins at McDonald’s, we check Google. Chargers slow down when the battery is 80% full, the State of Charge YouTube channel tells us.

Worried about time, we decide to unplug once we return to the car, despite gaining a measly 13% in 40 minutes.

It turns out not all “fast chargers” live up to the name. The biggest variable, according to State of Charge, is how many kilowatts a unit can churn out in an hour. To be considered “fast,” a charger must be capable of about 24 kW. The fastest chargers can pump out up to 350. Our charger in Meridian claims to meet that standard, but it has trouble cracking 20.

By the time we reach our next station, at a Mercedes-Benz dealership outside Birmingham, Ala., we’ve already missed our dinner reservations in Nashville—still 200 miles away.

Here, at least, the estimated charging time is only an hour—and we get to make use of two automatic massage chairs while we wait.

10 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Ok. Believe as you wish.

I believe you called bullshit on a pic I posted. Turns out it wasn't bullshit. Anything more is you trying to wiggle out of your original comment

41 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

They didn't utilize fast charging.

Why is it a difficult concept that our charging infrastructure is well behind what a significant increase in EV's can handle.   Heck regarding where they are at can't handle long trips now.  The fed govt even knows this and wants to throw billions to the states to try and rectify it.

Edited by Highmark

"They have this wonderful thing on the internet now where you can plan a trip in a EV and it plans your whole route using fast chargers so you can get where you want quicker. "

Do you know how many time the wife and I changes our plans on the fly when we went on our trip?

We had instances when we were making a point to be on Rte 66 from Missouri to California, we had many instances where the road simply ended without warning, sometime as much as 20 miles away from access to the highway that replaced it? How do the charging stations you rely on to charge help you when you just lost 40 miles of range, for nothing? Not only is that fucking yourself on range, it would take away from the experience of doing as much of 66 as possible.

When I had a full tank, we had over 400 miles of range....

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

As we set out, one of the closest (fast chargers) is at a Harley-Davidson dealership in Slidell, La., about 40 minutes away. So we use our Monday-morning breakfast stop to top off there on the way out of town.

But when we tick down 15% over 35 miles? Disconcerting. And the estimated charging time after plugging in? Even more so. This “quick charge” should take 5 minutes, based on our calculations. So why does the dashboard tell us it will take an hour?

“Maybe it’s just warming up,” I say to Mack. “Maybe it’s broken?” she says.

Over Egg McMuffins at McDonald’s, we check Google. Chargers slow down when the battery is 80% full, the State of Charge YouTube channel tells us.

Worried about time, we decide to unplug once we return to the car, despite gaining a measly 13% in 40 minutes.

It turns out not all “fast chargers” live up to the name. The biggest variable, according to State of Charge, is how many kilowatts a unit can churn out in an hour. To be considered “fast,” a charger must be capable of about 24 kW. The fastest chargers can pump out up to 350. Our charger in Meridian claims to meet that standard, but it has trouble cracking 20.

By the time we reach our next station, at a Mercedes-Benz dealership outside Birmingham, Ala., we’ve already missed our dinner reservations in Nashville—still 200 miles away.

Here, at least, the estimated charging time is only an hour—and we get to make use of two automatic massage chairs while we wait.

Seems someone didn't read the article.

They sound so dreamy. :news:

The woman charging next to us describes a harrowing recent trip in her Volkswagen ID.4. Deborah Carrico, 65, had to be towed twice while driving between her Louisville, Ky., apartment and Boulder, Colo., where her daughter was getting married.

1 minute ago, irv said:

Seems someone didn't read the article.

They sound so dreamy. :news:

The woman charging next to us describes a harrowing recent trip in her Volkswagen ID.4. Deborah Carrico, 65, had to be towed twice while driving between her Louisville, Ky., apartment and Boulder, Colo., where her daughter was getting married.

Evidently the unicorn farts were low that day.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Come on dude.   I've been going on snowmobiling trips for 30+ years.   It was never hard to find fuel when towing....nor did it take more than 5 minutes to fill up.  You are delusional if you think the infrastructure is even 1% equivalent. 

9 minutes ago, Snake said:

"They have this wonderful thing on the internet now where you can plan a trip in a EV and it plans your whole route using fast chargers so you can get where you want quicker. "

Do you know how many time the wife and I changes our plans on the fly when we went on our trip?

We had instances when we were making a point to be on Rte 66 from Missouri to California, we had many instances where the road simply ended without warning, sometime as much as 20 miles away from access to the highway that replaced it? How do the charging stations you rely on to charge help you when you just lost 40 miles of range, for nothing? Not only is that fucking yourself on range, it would take away from the experience of doing as much of 66 as possible.

When I had a full tank, we had over 400 miles of range....

You don't own an EV. Someone who has an EV has made a commitment to it. You're just making excuses to prove why you wouldn't own one and I agree with them. But at least educate yourself. 

Just now, Highmark said:

Come on dude.   I've been going on snowmobiling trips for 30+ years.   It was never hard to find fuel when towing....nor did it take more than 5 minutes to fill up.  You are delusional if you think the infrastructure is even 1% equivalent. 

Totally missing the point.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Totally missing the point.

No....the point is people are doing articles on long trips with EV's and it sucks.  Even worse when towing. 

Edited by Highmark

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Why is it a difficult concept that our charging infrastructure is well behind what a significant increase in EV's can handle.   Heck regarding where they are at can't handle long trips now.  The fed govt even knows this and wants to throw billions to the states to try and rectify it.

Of course the infrastructure is way behind. Everyone knows this.

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

You don't own an EV. Someone who has an EV has made a commitment to it. You're just making excuses to prove why you wouldn't own one and I agree with them. But at least educate yourself. 

Who makes a "commitment" to a car?  :lol:

• Haha 1