Beef lovers

$37 a pound is a good deal?

I haven't bought steaks in awhile now that prices are through the roof.  Had a thick cut bone in pork chop I seared up on the griddle tonight to a medium rare.  Just as good as a steak and only around $3 or $4 a pound.

6 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

I haven't bought steaks in awhile now that prices are through the roof.  Had a thick cut bone in pork chop I seared up on the griddle tonight to a medium rare.  Just as good as a steak and only around $3 or $4 a pound.

It’s a great deal for aged Waygu. 

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

That's almost as bad as $50 a lb for king crab legs.

I can get tomahawks at my local butcher and they are phenomenal! 

Also been cooking all of my steaks using the reverse sear method and I don't think I will ever do it any other way going forward. They just come out amazing every time. 

• Platinum Contributing Member

We have a local farmer who is now selling beef at the weekly farmers market.   I usually buy a 1/4 or 1/2 from a neighbor but will go this route when my freezer is low. 

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I can get tomahawks at my local butcher and they are phenomenal! 

Also been cooking all of my steaks using the reverse sear method and I don't think I will ever do it any other way going forward. They just come out amazing every time. 

Read about reverse sear recently and been meaning to try it. 

Cast Iron and basting them in butter is a pain when doing a bunch of steaks.   Personally its hard to beat Ribeye's over traditional charcoal.   Cook them hot and fast and finish them with a slab of butter on top and server them up. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Cast Iron and basting them in butter is a pain when doing a bunch of steaks.   Personally its hard to beat Ribeye's over traditional charcoal.   Cook them hot and fast and finish them with a slab of butter on top and server them up. 

:goodpost:

2 hours ago, Crowder said:

Read about reverse sear recently and been meaning to try it. 

I cant believe I have gone most of my life without knowing about it. Every steak I have cooked this way has been stellar and really you can cook them perfect to any degree of doneness and they come out tender and juicy. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

That is good, but can't compete with slow smoked reverse sear IMO. Granted it is a bit more work.

46 minutes ago, ckf said:

That is good, but can't compete with slow smoked reverse sear IMO. Granted it is a bit more work.

Agreed but when I'm cooking a bunch of steaks old tried and true never gets any complaints..

• Like 1

How do they turn out if you do them in a smoker then reverse sear? I feel like that would give it more flavor than just the oven first, right?  I know it wouldn't get much smoke in that sort of period, but still should be noticeable I would think.  

Just now, Doorider said:

How do they turn out if you do them in a smoker then reverse sear? I feel like that would give it more flavor than just the oven first, right?  I know it wouldn't get much smoke in that sort of period, but still should be noticeable I would think.  

i do mine in my pellet smoker,  works good flavor is not overly woody but just enough.

2 hours ago, Anler said:

I cant believe I have gone most of my life without knowing about it. Every steak I have cooked this way has been stellar and really you can cook them perfect to any degree of doneness and they come out tender and juicy. 

That what I’ve heard from everyone that’s tried it.  Lots of ways to cook a steak nicely and lots of old wives tales about what and what not to do, but always fun to try something different. Looking forward to trying it out. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crowder said:

That what I’ve heard from everyone that’s tried it.  Lots of ways to cook a steak nicely and lots of old wives tales about what and what not to do, but always fun to try something different. Looking forward to trying it out. 

I do mine on the grill but you can do them in the oven and finish in a cast iron pan. I just cook them on indirect heat at 250* until i get the desired internal temp and then crank up the burners and sear both sides. I am in the process of adding this jobber, cant wait to try it. 

image.thumb.png.b4137e7baec3dd84135905380864120b.png

• Like 1