Has anyone felt like the housing market has been a little silly lately?

11 hours ago, Woodtick said:

New houses are built like shit. 60 and 70s all brick ranch sell fast in this area. People are realizing they don’t need a big empty house.

That’s debatable, modern construction has better codes and inspection. If one area has improved dramatically it’s foundations, I’ve seen a lot of older homes with terrible foundations. A lot of it has to do with who you hire to build your house. We had our house built 18 years ago by a reputable builder who I know personally and it’s been great. :bc:

46 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

That’s debatable, modern construction has better codes and inspection. If one area has improved dramatically it’s foundations, I’ve seen a lot of older homes with terrible foundations. A lot of it has to do with who you hire to build your house. We had our house built 18 years ago by a reputable builder who I know personally and it’s been great. :bc:

Modern houses are way better as far as construction and energy efficiency. That guy is an idiot. 

55 minutes ago, Anler said:

Modern houses are way better as far as construction and energy efficiency. That guy is an idiot. 

Done right…yes. A lot of these new places look slapped together with inferior products. 5 years in and the siding, windows and roof look like shit.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Done right…yes. A lot of these new places look slapped together with inferior products. 5 years in and the siding, windows and roof look like shit.

When they were building Bay Harbor 20 plus years ago everybody with a hammer and chop saw got in on the gravy train...a lot of serious hack jobs were built.🤣

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, snoughnut said:

Strong codes have been in this area since the 60’s. My house is 100% copper,including the vent stacks. Built in 1969, it would cost a small fortune to build the house I’m in with all of the extra timber that’s in it compared to what they are slapping together. 

2 hours ago, Woodtick said:

Strong codes have been in this area since the 60’s. My house is 100% copper,including the vent stacks. Built in 1969, it would cost a small fortune to build the house I’m in with all of the extra timber that’s in it compared to what they are slapping together. 

Vents too eh. That's pretty cool. 

Dimensional lumber instead of OSB on roofs - seems better on older homes.

1 minute ago, ford_428cj said:

Vents too eh. That's pretty cool. 

Dimensional lumber instead of OSB on roofs - seems better on older homes.

Roof and floors are 1” dimensional. Walls are 1/2” drywall with a 1/2 in plaster on top of that. All brick exterior with the original Anderson crank outs. Windows are still in great shape. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Woodtick said:

That certainly doesn't mean your house is built better, back then copper was used for drain, waste and vent because it was a transitional period from cast iron to plastic. PVC,ABS plastic is far superior to copper in a DWV situation, eventually that copper will thin out and rot, I've seen plenty of it, we have it in our area also. 

On 7/10/2021 at 10:00 PM, Woodtick said:

New houses are built like shit. 60 and 70s all brick ranch sell fast in this area. People are realizing they don’t need a big empty house.

Yup. I worked with a guy that bought a brand new home in the ritzy part of town. It looked great from the outside, but he came in one day complaining that the master bedroom was 4 inches out of square. That,s about normal from the new stuff that is banged together by guys that don,t give a crap about quality, and use mini chainsaws to cut lumber to size, cause it is quicker, not better.

My nephew did a bathroom reno that I helped with in a 10 year old, supposedly high end home in Ottawa , and the lady was complaining that the outside wall was always cold. When we stripped the bathroom down to the studs, the complete outside bathroom wall had zero insulation. We could look down and see daylight thru the soffit that covered the front porch of the house.

This was a beautiful 2 story home, and the bathroom floor was out of level by 1/2 inch over the span of 15 feet. Unfukking real ! 

The days of pride in workmanship are long gone. Now it,s everchanging unreliable crews made up of drunken and stoned, so called tradesman, that want to start at 10, have a 2 hour lunch, and quit at 4, IF they even bother showing up, at all.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:00 PM, Woodtick said:

everything sells fast these days but most people will choose the new house that looks nic over the old 60's house unless it's been full rehabd

13 hours ago, Woodtick said:

It would cost a lot to build like the Flintstones these days.

50 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

everything sells fast these days but most people will choose the new house that looks nic over the old 60's house unless it's been full rehabd

The new subdivisions pay twice the taxes the old ones pay. I’m in a good town. The new subdivisions pay for the new schools, added fire trucks ect. I’m in a historic district and It’s been hot for 20 plus years. To each their own. 

3 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Yup. I worked with a guy that bought a brand new home in the ritzy part of town. It looked great from the outside, but he came in one day complaining that the master bedroom was 4 inches out of square. That,s about normal from the new stuff that is banged together by guys that don,t give a crap about quality, and use mini chainsaws to cut lumber to size, cause it is quicker, not better.

My nephew did a bathroom reno that I helped with in a 10 year old, supposedly high end home in Ottawa , and the lady was complaining that the outside wall was always cold. When we stripped the bathroom down to the studs, the complete outside bathroom wall had zero insulation. We could look down and see daylight thru the soffit that covered the front porch of the house.

This was a beautiful 2 story home, and the bathroom floor was out of level by 1/2 inch over the span of 15 feet. Unfukking real ! 

The days of pride in workmanship are long gone. Now it,s everchanging unreliable crews made up of drunken and stoned, so called tradesman, that want to start at 10, have a 2 hour lunch, and quit at 4, IF they even bother showing up, at all.

A family bought the house across the street from me. They came out of a Big 18 year old new house. It needed a new roof, kitchen, windows and doors. They bought the all brick ranch and he updated one room at a time the way they liked it, and used quality materials. A fresh updated house can be a bigger nightmare then a new one. Mortgage house inspectors are so bad now, you are better off having a buddy that’s in the trades look at a house. Home inspectors just look for shiny stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snoughnut said:

That certainly doesn't mean your house is built better, back then copper was used for drain, waste and vent because it was a transitional period from cast iron to plastic. PVC,ABS plastic is far superior to copper in a DWV situation, eventually that copper will thin out and rot, I've seen plenty of it, we have it in our area also. 

I’ve also ripped out a bunch of pvc because it becomes brittle when it gets old. I’ve also seen some big dollar damage from propress fittings fail. New doesn’t always mean better. New cars are awesome until they break out of warranty. Look how much you like your old sleds. 

• Gold Member

Ya no way I’d buy a old house or a new one in a sub-division/tract home. My good friend is constantly working or fixing something on his old home no thanks nice house but not worth it to me. We built our house ground up designed it, picked out everything in the house, used a quality builder and quality materials. I’d never do it any other way.

47 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Ya no way I’d buy a old house or a new one in a sub-division/tract home. My good friend is constantly working or fixing something on his old home no thanks nice house but not worth it to me. We built our house ground up designed it, picked out everything in the house, used a quality builder and quality materials. I’d never do it any other way.

The only way to do it. If your builder builds more than 10 houses a year,look for one that doesn’t . The best way to buy a old house is before it’s molested. Buy it, remodel it the way you want it,and then move in. I wouldn’t buy a flipped house with out a serious inspection. Flipped houses hide some scary shit.

• Like 2

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

The only way to do it. If your builder builds more than 10 houses a year,look for one that doesn’t . The best way to buy a old house is before it’s molested. Buy it, remodel it the way you want it,and then move in. I wouldn’t buy a flipped house with out a serious inspection. Flipped houses hide some scary shit.

Exactly buying a flipped house is just asking for issues IMO . There trying to make the most money possible your damn right there gonna cut corners and use cheap materials and labor to get it done. Same goes for a new home builder work with someone that will work with you start to finish not a builder that just slaps together the cheapest crap he can from the same 3 designs with the cheapest labor just to make a big profit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I’ve also ripped out a bunch of pvc because it becomes brittle when it gets old. I’ve also seen some big dollar damage from propress fittings fail. New doesn’t always mean better. New cars are awesome until they break out of warranty. Look how much you like your old sleds. 

I've seen that happen especially with CPVC and furnaces that use PVC pipe for exhaust.  PVC/ABS can last forever in DWV systems. I don't really like old sleds, I just hate the new sled prices for a 2 month a year activity. :lol::bc:  I've seen Pro Press fail also, not a fan at all and don't use it. What could go wrong with crushing an o-ring fitting on copper pipe while trying to contain 50 - 100 psi of water pressure. :lmao: I'm still a copper sweat, old schooler. Pro Press is just another example of engineers looking for a faster way to make an inferior connection and thinking they've re-invented the wheel. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Glad to see you and 550 are ready to sit down and break bread

52 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Glad to see you and 550 are ready to sit down and break bread

That reminds me, I gotta' call the roofer.   

A few years ago he gave me a price of $6000.00 for the garage.

I bet I'm gonna' shit when he gives me the new estimate.

He probably won't be able to do it until October!!! :mc: