*****Official F7BENS NASCAR 2023 Thread*****

20 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

62B8C375-20CC-4854-8A4A-947AA49EF1E6.png

Here's a pick of Alan Kulwicki when he got his very first feature win in my home town of Oshkosh Wisconsin at Leo's speedway.  Alan would go to be Nascar 1992 champion but lost his life 1993 in a plane crash returning from a appearance to Bristol.

Alan Kulwicki loes.jpg

Alan Kulwicki 1992.jpg

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Doug said:

Here's a pick of Alan Kulwicki when he got his very first feature win in my home town of Oshkosh Wisconsin at Leo's speedway.  Alan would go to be Nascar 1992 champion but lost his life 1993 in a plane crash returning from a appearance to Bristol.

Alan Kulwicki loes.jpg

Alan Kulwicki 1992.jpg

Polish Victory Lap

We will never see the likes of him again in NASCAR…he did it all.

• Thanks 1

First race I ever watched in entireity was the Hooters 500 1992. Petty was going out, Gordon was coming in, Elliott won the race but Alan won the championship by leading more laps. Ernie and Davey got into it, very exciting race and maybe my alltime favorite.

Edited by nascarmike
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

B784E404-080D-4056-AF6A-28521B4358B7.thumb.png.cf9be6f538eca5c166be169f96c06ceb.png

The track that never should've been dropped from the schedule. Can't wait to see what they've done to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nascarmike said:

Burton did take tracks to a new level in his prime.  Humpy Wheeler also did his part.

Never really heard the story what happened between them or if Bruton just thought it was time to bring Marcus Smith up.

RIP Bruton

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

Triple header at Nashville Super Speedway this weekend and it’s going to be a scorcher! Trucks are on tonight.👍🏼🇺🇸🌞

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Triple header at Nashville Super Speedway this weekend and it’s going to be a scorcher! Trucks are on tonight.👍🏼🇺🇸🌞

seems the locals don';t like how he racks run and not filling the place.  too hot,  no coolers allowed seems to be the conmplaint.  

9 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

seems the locals don';t like how he racks run and not filling the place.  too hot,  no coolers allowed seems to be the conmplaint.  

Got a message from one of the guys working the race and at 5:30 the heat index was 110F.  Coolers are allowed to a certain size and they are setting up additional cooling tents with misters.

I worked Kansas and that was hot.  He said it's hotter at Nashville.

On 6/24/2022 at 8:00 PM, Doug said:

Got a message from one of the guys working the race and at 5:30 the heat index was 110F.  Coolers are allowed to a certain size and they are setting up additional cooling tents with misters.

It looked like a hot one again today…135 degrees in Gragsons car and he said he threw up on himself twice in the last 50 laps.🥴

On 6/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, Doug said:

Why they race in the daytime in the summer is beyond me. Especially if the track has lights and if they don't they should get them. Easier all around for everyone.

Edited by Steve753

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Local dirt track tonight 

20220625_175936.jpg

Late Models around here a fraction of what they were 20 years ago.

We now have 2 classes of Lates for WISSOTA and neither one really draws the car counts they should.  

Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon to have 40-50+ late models show up for a Challenge Series or NLRA race and if you drew the WDRL or whatever the series was, 60+ wasn't unheard of.

2 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Late Models around here a fraction of what they were 20 years ago.

We now have 2 classes of Lates for WISSOTA and neither one really draws the car counts they should.  

Back in the day, it wasn't uncommon to have 40-50+ late models show up for a Challenge Series or NLRA race and if you drew the WDRL or whatever the series was, 60+ wasn't unheard of.

Yes they have really declined in numbers and sad to see.  Was a Dirt Kings race tonight which use to be WDRL.  14 late models total.  One lost a motor coming to green and only 9 finished with not one competitive pass.  I grew up with late models as a kid and helped work on them for a number of years so it's sad to see what they are now.  Best race of the night was IMCA stock cars.  3 wide for the lead the last 10 laps.  Weird night in IMCA mods.  Track was smooth and slicked off but had 3 cars loose driveshaft.  Race was decent between cautions.

10 hours ago, Doug said:

Yes they have really declined in numbers and sad to see.  Was a Dirt Kings race tonight which use to be WDRL.  14 late models total.  One lost a motor coming to green and only 9 finished with not one competitive pass.  I grew up with late models as a kid and helped work on them for a number of years so it's sad to see what they are now.  Best race of the night was IMCA stock cars.  3 wide for the lead the last 10 laps.  Weird night in IMCA mods.  Track was smooth and slicked off but had 3 cars loose driveshaft.  Race was decent between cautions.

It is unfortunate, but all the classes here are probably half the car counts they were 15-20 years ago.  It wasn't uncommon to have to run a b feature or two for the streeters, b-mods, mods, and super stocks.  With very few exceptions, that almost never happens at a weekly show, unless you are Deer Creek.

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

It is unfortunate, but all the classes here are probably half the car counts they were 15-20 years ago.  It wasn't uncommon to have to run a b feature or two for the streeters, b-mods, mods, and super stocks.  With very few exceptions, that almost never happens at a weekly show, unless you are Deer Creek.

They were one of the only tracks to run last night because of rain at the other tracks and still didn't have a B-main in any classes.  It's also the only 1/2 mile track left in the area where there use to be 3.  On their facebook page there has been some topic about shortening up the track but that always turns into a shit show.

Still enjoy the local dirt tracks when I can go more that Nascar.  

Just now, Doug said:

They were one of the only tracks to run last night because of rain at the other tracks and still didn't have a B-main in any classes.  It's also the only 1/2 mile track left in the area where there use to be 3.  On their facebook page there has been some topic about shortening up the track but that always turns into a shit show.

Still enjoy the local dirt tracks when I can go more that Nascar.  

If it was up to like 2/3rd's or more of the WISSOTA racers, everything in WISSOTA land would be an identical 3/8th mile track that would be dry slick every night.  That would suck.

The local track here (Viking) is the only 1/2 mile track left in the state and WISSOTA that I can think of. 

Any other 1/2 mile track for a few hundred miles around that I can think of is either closed or has been shortened.

39 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

If it was up to like 2/3rd's or more of the WISSOTA racers, everything in WISSOTA land would be an identical 3/8th mile track that would be dry slick every night.  That would suck.

The local track here (Viking) is the only 1/2 mile track left in the state and WISSOTA that I can think of. 

Any other 1/2 mile track for a few hundred miles around that I can think of is either closed or has been shortened.

That was about 15-20 years ago the guy I helped out in late models retired.  Mostly ran at Hales Corners (Milwaukee) which was a 1/3 mile and UMP sanctioned.  Always 4 heats and a B-main and good car counts.  He always ran Wegner Automotive (Carl Wegner) motors and the last open aluminum motor was 22K at the time.

In an ironic twist it was John Menard that bought the land and closed the race track to turn it into a Menards warehouse and distribution center.