Outboard Forums

What you are posting about was my biggest fear when I bought my Opti 2 years ago. Great motors when they are running well but if something goes wrong I think you need a dealer who really knows their stuff. That engine seems so complicated with the air compressor and fuel injectors and that three stage fuel pump. I know here in Ontario getting a dealer who really knows something about an Opti is a pretty tall order. Lots of dealers like to talk but when you speak to the mechanic you find out they have hardly ever seen the inside of an Opti much less actually solved an issue with one. I see that Team Marine Service has a few videos out on V6's and they talk about Opti's. Have no idea if they are good or not but they talk a good talk on Youtube. You have thrown a lot of money at that motor already. Hope you find someone that can solve the issues for you. Best of luck getting it fixed quickly.   

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 12:03 AM, probill said:

What you are posting about was my biggest fear when I bought my Opti 2 years ago. Great motors when they are running well but if something goes wrong I think you need a dealer who really knows their stuff. That engine seems so complicated with the air compressor and fuel injectors and that three stage fuel pump. I know here in Ontario getting a dealer who really knows something about an Opti is a pretty tall order. Lots of dealers like to talk but when you speak to the mechanic you find out they have hardly ever seen the inside of an Opti much less actually solved an issue with one. I see that Team Marine Service has a few videos out on V6's and they talk about Opti's. Have no idea if they are good or not but they talk a good talk on Youtube. You have thrown a lot of money at that motor already. Hope you find someone that can solve the issues for you. Best of luck getting it fixed quickly.   

Thanks, I hope so too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Getting back to this once more while working on it again a couple days ago I noticed some injection oil sitting in the bottom of the Air handler component, just curious if that's normal or not?

After many more hours of testing and working on the engine I took it out again yesterday, now the top speed and RPM's are close but the boggy holeshot remains, 3-6 tries before it will accelerate but then goes 67 mph on the gps with 2 of us in the boat. Very odd. Any ideas?

I contacted Mercury a few moments ago by E-Mail to see if they have any suggestions.

Mercury's response to me:

Thank you for your email regarding your Mercury engine, serial #0G751022. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.   

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your engine. As much as we would like to assist you on this matter, this department is not equipped to do the extensive troubleshooting required to address your issue. It would be best if you worked with a dealer/service center. I understand you have visited two service centers with no satisfaction. The best advice we can give you is to call other dealers until you find one willing to take another look at your engine. Our dealers have technical support they can receive from Mercury while troubleshooting such issues.

You can search for dealers by visiting the Locate a Dealer option on the upper right-hand corner of our website, mercurymarine.com

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance

Ref:
2021-00144420

On 7/23/2021 at 3:52 PM, XCR1250 said:

Mercury's response to me:

Thank you for your email regarding your Mercury engine, serial #0G751022. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.   

I am sorry to hear of your issues with your engine. As much as we would like to assist you on this matter, this department is not equipped to do the extensive troubleshooting required to address your issue. It would be best if you worked with a dealer/service center. I understand you have visited two service centers with no satisfaction. The best advice we can give you is to call other dealers until you find one willing to take another look at your engine. Our dealers have technical support they can receive from Mercury while troubleshooting such issues.

You can search for dealers by visiting the Locate a Dealer option on the upper right-hand corner of our website, mercurymarine.com

We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance

Ref:
2021-00144420

Don,

Check with Rib Mountain Marine once and see if they still have a tech that worked on the Opti's back in the day.  RMM has been a Merc dealer for over 60 years.  ;)

https://www.ribmountainmarine.com/ 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

What ever became of this Don?

Stopped working on it after the Factory said they don't know what's wrong, suggested take it to another Merc dealer, it's already been at 2 and they were communicating with Merc by phone or??

Going to try a lake run again this week sometime, been SXS riding and working on wife's truck and a wheeler, ever see a truck tie rod come totally unscrewed from the steering rack? She's lucky it happened in the yard backing up.

7 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Stopped working on it after the Factory said they don't know what's wrong, suggested take it to another Merc dealer, it's already been at 2 and they were communicating with Merc by phone or??

Going to try a lake run again this week sometime, been SXS riding and working on wife's truck and a wheeler, ever see a truck tie rod come totally unscrewed from the steering rack? She's lucky it happened in the yard backing up.

Did you check with Rib Mountain Marine?

On the tie rod, yes.  Was the jamb nut loose or missing?

15 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Did you check with Rib Mountain Marine?

On the tie rod, yes.  Was the jamb nut loose or missing?

Not the tie rod end but the tie rod where it screws into the rack.

On 7/8/2021 at 12:03 AM, probill said:

Team Marine is a good shop.  I would bet they have quite a bit of experience with Opti's...  

5 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Not the tie rod end but the tie rod where it screws into the rack.

Unless the chassis or rack mounting was fd up, or the mechanical connection to the rack wasn't properly connected there's no reason it should come out.

What kind of truck are we discussing, in your 'outboard' thread?

:roflcrying:

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Unless the chassis or rack mounting was fd up, or the mechanical connection to the rack wasn't properly connected there's no reason it should come out.

What kind of truck are we discussing, in your 'outboard' thread?

:roflcrying:

2007 Avalanche, wife's work car. 192,000 miles, first issue we've ever had with it other than normal maintenance. I replaced both tie rods and ends, used Loctite on the threads, then took it to the Chevy dealer to have an alignment done, wife told the mechanic about what happened and he checked it all over, said it was fine. Factory didn't use Loctite, however the drivers side was very hard to unscrew.

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2021 at 9:26 AM, XCR1250 said:

2007 Avalanche, wife's work car. 192,000 miles, first issue we've ever had with it other than normal maintenance. I replaced both tie rods and ends, used Loctite on the threads, then took it to the Chevy dealer to have an alignment done, wife told the mechanic about what happened and he checked it all over, said it was fine. Factory didn't use Loctite, however the drivers side was very hard to unscrew.

have seen this before ,make sure u keep an eye on it , seen water get trapped in there rot wobbles out the threads and they pull out, new tie rod always appears to be tight even with loc tight they still pull out