Check your account email address ×

Outboard Forums

20 hours ago, EvilBird said:

I already belong to that site, no one knew how to help, some had similar issues and all suggestions didn't solve it.

Had the boat at 2 Merc dealers including 1 a couple days ago, $700 later and they said they don't know what's wrong.

23 hours ago, EvilBird said:

What HP motor?

Offshoreonly has a lot of good tech info but just for the Big horsepower Merc outboards. 

I’m a 20yr active (mostly tech ) member there (don’t tell Polaris550 lolol) and I would say no on outboard tech there.

I would think scream and fly because more outboards, but xcr1250 says no help for his ....hmmmm

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

I already belong to that site, no one knew how to help, some had similar issues and all suggestions didn't solve it.

Had the boat at 2 Merc dealers including 1 a couple days ago, $700 later and they said they don't know what's wrong.

That is so frustrating.....I use to work on Boats and sometimes you really get into a pickle where nobody knows what the hell to do. 

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, CFM said:

I’m a 20yr active (mostly tech ) member there (don’t tell Polaris550 lolol) and I would say no on outboard tech there.

I would think scream and fly because more outboards, but xcr1250 says no help for his ....hmmmm

Yeah I agree ....even stern drive stuff its tough to get help nowadays..not like it once was but thats all forums seems like. 

Ive probably read some of your posts then if you been there 20 years lol 🍻🇺🇲

9 hours ago, oldslowsledder said:

What's it doing?

Multiple issues for years, here's several, about 80% of the time it will bog when trying to take off, after perhaps 3-4 times it may finally plane off, another is low RPM's, should hit 5,600-5,700 and has done that sometimes, 3 days ago after I did a lot of work to it it started to come around, a few time it would rev up to over 6,000, then later on it wouldn't go over 4,100. Yesterday it would do 4,100 then after a couple hours of trying it would  sometimes hit close to 5,000, then back to a hotshot bog and 4-4,100 rpms. When running well it will hit 71-72 MPH on GPS, otherwise 40-55 MPH when not running well.

Things I have done, new computer, both new TPS sensors, external coils, all 12 injectors, new MAP sensor, fuel filter (twice), hose from compressor high pressure output to Starboard side rail (was leaking air), new spark plugs twice..fixed a small oil pump leak from a bad o- ring, new diaphragms for the tracker valve, fuel, and air..$4,000 later still issues.

Checked compression and did a leak down test, all was within specs.

Edited by XCR1250

• Gold Member
12 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Multiple issues for years, here's several, about 80% of the time it will bog when trying to take off, after perhaps 3-4 times it may finally plane off, another is low RPM's, should hit 5,600-5,700 and has done that sometimes, 3 days ago after I did a lot of work to it it started to come around, a few time it would just up to over 6,000, then later on it wouldn't go over 4,100. Yesterday it would do 4,100 then after a couple hours of trying it would  sometimes hit close to 5,000, then back to a hotshot bog and 4-4,100 rpms. When running well it will hit 71-72 MPH on GPS, otherwise 40-55 MPH when not running well.

Things I have done, new computer, both new TPS sensors, external coils, all 12 injectors, new MAP sensor, fuel filter (twice), hose from compressor high pressure output to Starboard side rail (was leaking air), new spark plugs twice..fixed a small oil pump leak from a bad o- ring, new diaphragms for the tracker valve, fuel, and air..$4,000 later still issues.

Checked compression and did a leak down test, all was within specs.

What’s it getting for fuel pressure?

it sounds like a bad fuel pump.

Edited by 800renegaderider

Have you checked volts when it’s going good vs bad? 
I’ve also come across two merc motors ( one four, one opti) that had  a harness problem that showed itself only with trim in the all the way down position. Wire was pulling itself away at the split causing the issue on both in that position 

the four stroke had a miss the computer wouldn’t pick up occasionally though. the opti was a low rpm at max throttle.

Edited by Mark32786

9 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Yeah I agree ....even stern drive stuff its tough to get help nowadays..not like it once was but thats all forums seems like. 

Ive probably read some of your posts then if you been there 20 years lol 🍻🇺🇲

Pm’d you. Yes, i would bet you have.

Not to say it’s your problem , but for diagnosing . To quote myself, You don’t know anything about your efi engine if you don’t know it’s fuel psi. Key on, engine off. Key on, engine on. Under way with full thfottke and top rpm.

Edited by CFM

1 minute ago, CFM said:

So is the pressure correct now ?

It was correct with both sets of pumps, old and new, I simply replaced them as part of trying to figure out what was wrong, this is the engine I had on the boat I sold F7-Ben, I kept the engine however, it's run the same on both boats, frustration to say the least.

11 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

It was correct with both sets of pumps, old and new, I simply replaced them as part of trying to figure out what was wrong, this is the engine I had on the boat I sold F7-Ben, I kept the engine however, it's run the same on both boats, frustration to say the least.

Did you have the fuel pressure gauge on it when it acted up? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

Did not when on the Lake, the 2nd. dealer Tech did however.

Was the dealer able to get the boat to act up? With CDS hooked up they could have got a 'snapshot' of data when it happened, between that and a fuel pressure gauge it should hopefully give you a push in the right direction.

1 hour ago, oldslowsledder said:

Was the dealer able to get the boat to act up? With CDS hooked up they could have got a 'snapshot' of data when it happened, between that and a fuel pressure gauge it should hopefully give you a push in the right direction.

Yes it acted the same for them as for me. Both Techs had a Mercury analyzer on it, I was with the first Tech for 2-1/2 hours, he couldn't figure it out.

What both dealers techs told me was because of the year of the engine (1998) the analyzer does not measure check everything until a couple years later, last Tech said the black air injectors are known to be an issue so I installed the blue air injectors, didn't help.

Engine was a traded in US Coast Guard engine that only had 98.2 hours on it when I bought it, it has about 140 now.

Edited by XCR1250