1 Dead in Miami-Area Condo Collapse

11 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

They don't have shit for a plan. A small group of guys using buckets...and one smallish excavator sitting there not moving.

What is the point really?  the people are litteraly liquid . Just good to know most prob slept through it 

1 minute ago, ford_428cj said:

Could be a few lucky ones stuck in there. It's not worth even trying??

There is not . When  a building pancakes no pockets between floors 

Edited by Ez ryder

25 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

There is not . When  a building pancakes no pockets between floors 

Top couple floors someone might have got lucky. Why not get some cranes in there & lift some pieces off at least. The mess has to be cleaned up either way. 

• Gold Member
22 minutes ago, ford_428cj said:

Top couple floors someone might have got lucky. Why not get some cranes in there & lift some pieces off at least. The mess has to be cleaned up either way. 

Exactly why not try. They spent weeks looking for people at the world trade centers ya never know someone could have got lucky.

1 hour ago, ford_428cj said:

I get that. They are just playing games with the bucket bullshit  almost wonder if it is just to make people feel good as they really look at evidence and don't want to move to much at a time so they can figure it out and have something to point a finger at to sooth the nerves of the 1000s of other high-rise shithokes built on a swamp under consistent bombardment of salt . But reality is even top floor is gone 6 to 8 inch cement and rusty rebar with multiple massive jolts with every floor hit to compact it to dust .

From DU I thought it was interesting…

How crazy the building got in Miami

Here is a picture of Motel Row in North Miami Beach when I grew up in the 60s. Two and three story concrete block buildings. 
This area, known as Sunny Isles is basically a sand barrier island between the Intercostal and the ocean. Similar to Surfside where the building collapsed. 
abd252661f919f2a6f4c61cc62d7037c.jpg

Here it is today. 
sunny-isles-beach-beach.jpeg

40 story towers built on a sandbar with pourous limestone for bedrock. 

I don't think we have seen the last building go. 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Here is a picture of Motel Row in North Miami Beach when I grew up in the 60s. Two and three story concrete block buildings. 
This area, known as Sunny Isles is basically a sand barrier island between the Intercostal and the ocean. Similar to Surfside where the building collapsed. 

Here it is today. 

Crazy, I bet the  people living in these are shitting their pants!

Miami collapse...She could see a crater in the pool area......

Appearing to reinforce the experts’ theory is the story of a resident who called her husband moments before the collapse to tell him she could see a crater in the pool area from the fourth-floor balcony of their ocean-front apartment. Then the line went dead, said Mike Stratton, who was out of town at the time. His wife, Cassie, is among the 159 people who are still unaccounted for. 

Greg Batista, a professional engineer who specializes in concrete repair and worked on the Surfside condo’s pool deck in 2017, said that the way the building fell points to an initial collapse in the pool deck collapse area. Structural engineer and retired building inspector Gene Santiago agreed that was a probable trigger and pointed to a 2018 inspection, first reported by the Herald, that noted “major structural damage” below the pool deck. 

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252396233.html#storylink=cpy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over 6000 sink hole related insurance claims a yr in Florida. And that us just sink holes reported that cause property damage.  Prob 3x that many every yr 

The limestone degrades done deal . 

Add that to this whole strip is reclaimed land i.e. filled in mangrove and marsh . 

Surprising more are not going down every yr . I bet alot of FL homes have no idea they have a sink hole under there house . A monolithic slab with even moderate rebar placement  with no real weight in it will span a good size hole for yrs before showing signs of stress . 

7 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Over 6000 sink hole related insurance claims a yr in Florida. And that us just sink holes reported that cause property damage.  Prob 3x that many every yr 

The limestone degrades done deal . 

Add that to this whole strip is reclaimed land i.e. filled in mangrove and marsh . 

Surprising more are not going down every yr . I bet alot of FL homes have no idea they have a sink hole under there house . A monolithic slab with even moderate rebar placement  with no real weight in it will span a good size hole for yrs before showing signs of stress . 

Florida is not sinking; the sea levels are rising due to global warming. :news:

https://www.foundationprosfl.com/floridas-sinkholes/

You couldn't pay me to live in a high-rise condo. 

I don't give a fuck how old I am, I will live in a free-standing place with some land around me, and at least three generators, and stocked food and water and ammo. 

Oh, and also a wood-burning stove!!  :thumb:

Doesn’t help that housing market is booming!!

they can’t build apartment complexes fast enough to accommodate people leaving California and New York!!

people flocking into Florida is crazy!!

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Muslim bedrock?  Is that a type of “stoning” device for women caught trying to read?  :lol:

No it was a muslim attack and the fake news media is covering it up! Go to jihadwatch.com!

Edited by Anler

3 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

You got goofy since you got the experimental jab...

I am super busy right now. These Bidenbucks are raining down everywhere!

On 6/26/2021 at 4:34 PM, Mainecat said:

Here it is today. 

Jebus some of them are tall. You'd need quite a plan to build that high, on sub par soil, that close to the water table, with salt air.

Seen up here, no salt water, but 3 story monster homes on what was all fresh fill. Engineers demanded massive excavation, pump in hundreds of yards of 10 mpa concrete or at least unshrinkable fill. Then a mud mat of 15 mpa. Then a full slab, not just footings. then footings, rebarred to the max, with rebarred walls.

Added a hundred grand to a house, albeit a few million dollar house on a golf course.

Most expensive shit I saw done was for hydro towers. It was looney. 10 foot drill, going down a hundred or so feet, X4 for the base. Massive crane X2, one to lift the 10 foot steel pipe form as the concrete got poured in, one to hold the vibrator/hammer, powered with a sea can sized hydraulic power pack to get the form in and out so it lifted easier. Vacuum trucks to suck out the water as it got poured. It ain't moving, ever.

I've seen galvanized rebar, and rusty rebar rejected, there are admixes in concrete that can compensate for many things when the engineer demanded it...but they can be expensive when looking at tens of thousands of yards of concrete. Like $50 a yard...that adds up. Seems cheap now that 150 people may be dead.

It can an be done, for a price....I think maybe these are not quite built to that standard.

Edited by Voodoo