Official JTSSRX Flat Earth Thread

How fast does the Earth move?

By JoAnna Wendel - Live Science Contributor about 6 hours ago

Earth races around the sun and spins on its axis.

Earth's curvature seen from space Earth is hurtling through space. (Image credit: Adastra via Getty Images)

Earth is constantly moving. As it zooms around the sun, Earth also spins on its axis, like a basketball on the tip of a player's finger. 

So, how fast is Earth moving? In other words, how fast is it rotating on its axis and how fast is it orbiting the sun? To go even further, how fast is the solar system orbiting the Milky Way galaxy?

Now that your head is spinning just like Earth, let's start with the planet itself. Earth turns on its own axis about once every 24 hours (or, to be precise, every 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds). Earth measures 24,898 miles (40,070 kilometers) in circumference, so when you divide distance by time, that means the planet is spinning 1,037 mph ( 1,670 km/h).

Meanwhile, Earth orbits the sun at about 67,000 mph (110,000 km/h), according to Ask an Astronomer, a blog run by astronomers at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. Scientists know that by taking the distance Earth travels around the sun and dividing it by the length of time Earth takes to complete one orbit (about 365 days). 

Ask an Astronomer explains the math: To calculate Earth's distance around the sun, all scientists need to do is to determine the circumference of a circle. We know that the Earth is, on average, about 93 million miles (149.6 million km) away from the sun, and we know that it travels in a generally circular path (it's actually more elliptical, but it's simpler to do this equation with a circle). That distance between the sun and Earth is the radius of the circle. To get the circumference of that circle, the equation is 2*pi*radius, or 2*3.14*93 million miles. Once the circumference (the distance Earth travels around the sun in one orbit) is calculated, its orbital speed can be determined. 

The solar system, which includes our sun and all of the objects that orbit it, is also moving; it's located within the Milky Way, which orbits around the galaxy's center. Scientists know that the Milky Way is orbiting a galactic center based on observations of other stars, said Katie Mack, a theoretical astrophysicist at North Carolina State University. If stars very far away seem to be moving, that's because the solar system is moving compared with the relative position of those far away stars. 

To bring this concept back down to Earth, "If I start walking, I can tell that I'm moving because the buildings I pass by seem to be moving," from in front to behind me, Mack said. If she looks at something more distant, like a mountain on the horizon, it moves a little slower because it's farther away than the buildings, but it still moves relative to her position.

By studying other stars' movements relative to the sun, scientists have determined that the solar system orbits the Milky Way's galactic center at about 447,000 mph (720,000 km/h).

Then there's the entire Milky Way, which is pulled in different directions by other massive structures, such as other galaxies and galaxy clusters. Just like scientists can tell that the solar system is moving based on the relative movement of other stars, they can use the relative movement of other galaxies to determine how fast the Milky Way is moving through the universe. 

Even though everything is moving all the time, living organisms on Earth's surface don't feel it for the same reason passengers on an airplane don't feel themselves zipping through the air at hundreds of miles an hour, Mack said. When the plane lifts off, passengers feel the plane's acceleration as it speeds down the runway and lifts off; that weighted feeling is caused by the plane's quickly changing speed. But once the plane is flying at cruising altitude, passengers won't feel the speed of hundreds of miles per hour because the speed doesn't change.

RELATED MYSTERIES

The passengers won't feel the speed because those passengers are actually moving at the same speed and direction, or velocity, as the airplane. There's no relative motion — everyone sitting on the airplane is moving at the same speed as the airplane itself. The only way passengers might notice their and the plane's movement is by looking out the window at the passing landscape.

For humans standing on the surface of our planet, they don't feel Earth hurtling around the sun because they're also hurtling around the sun at the same speed. 

Originally published on Live Science.

Just have to post one last debunking of the giant steaming piles of bunk.  I know JT has all of the anecdotal commentaries from the gurus of flatness at his immediate disposal but this one really covers everything in enough detail to create more issues for these pseudoscientific wack-jobs than they could ever begin to unravel.

So JT.  Here is the challenge.  Present a model for flat earth that actually proves real science wrong.  Not just parts of it but all of it....  I will wait.

5 hours ago, Snake said:

Half the problem with your argument is in the way you make it. "It's all your fault you are so stupid."

You aren't going to change minds, or, as you state, NOT trying to change a mind, when all you do is call us stupid. I see plenty of questions asked in a fine manner and you have to reply with insults. ]

"I expected no less."

I’m not calling anyone stupid. You’re projecting 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

This video is the globe ender and it’s again its air travel

SMH. :lmao:1000km 9 deg.  :lmao:

Edited by Highmark

39 minutes ago, Highmark said:

SMH. :lmao:1000km 9 deg.  :lmao:

Here’s Neal Degrasse Tyson telling you your about seeing curvature in an airplane and the the redbull space jump Was a fraud

4 hours ago, jtssrx said:

This video is the globe ender and it’s again its air travel

All the video shows is a fundamental misunderstanding of erections.

Tricky Erection

The only really tricky part of the attitude indicator is its erecting mechanism. When power (vacuum) is first applied to the instrument, the mechanism quickly erects the gyro spindle to plumb-vertical in order to align the artificial horizon with the natural horizon. In flight, the erecting mechanism continually compensates the gyro for precession errors in order to keep it aligned throughout the course of a long flight.

The design of the erecting mechanism is quite clever. In an air-driven attitude gyro, there are “pendulous vanes” suspended from pivots attached to the lower portion of the sealed gyro housing, one vane for each exhaust port. The vanes are positioned so that, when the gyro is erect, each vane half-covers its associated exhaust port.

If the gyro tilts so that its axle is not plumb, the pendulous vanes shift so that one exhaust port is more-than-half-covered and the opposite exhaust port is less-than-half-covered. The resulting imbalance of discharge air exerts a force on the rotor housing at right angles to the direction of tilt, causing the gyro to precess to the erect position. As soon as the gyro is erect, the pendulous vanes return to a balanced condition to remove the precessing force. 

https://www.avweb.com/avionics/the-gyro-with-an-attitude/

BB0E06CF-4D2B-4E81-A80B-8AFF4DAD0C16.png

Edited by Plissken

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verrazano–Narrows_Bridge

Because of the height of the towers (693 ft or 211 m) and their distance from each other (4,260 ft or 1,298 m), the curvature of the Earth's surface had to be taken into account when designing the bridge. The towers are not parallel to each other, but are 1+58 in (41.275 mm) farther apart at their tops than at their bases.[2]:138[67]:752[163][164]

5 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Here’s footage of the fake ISS. multiple things dropping in zero gravity  😂 

You see how is arm is resting more on top of the ball than completely 180 degrees from his body?  It’s basically being squeezed in such a way that the normal forces are no longer creating sufficient friction to prevent it from accelerating in the direction of the force vector summation which is toward the holder’s feet.  It also appears to accelerate toward the holder’s feet at a rate clearly more slowly than a ball simply dropped at dropped at Earth’s surface.  In fact every object this video claims as dropped was simply last acted upon by a force pointed visually downward by the astronaut’s finger tips, arms, etc.  Did you just think they only splurged on fancy floating drone mics and just figured they could fake everything else or something?

B130DCBB-C24E-424D-92E3-E80C16EF543C.jpeg

27 minutes ago, WildMann said:

This guy has amazing videos based on knowledge and real everyday physics, you know the physics that never change.  

This guy is a globe shill like you. I’m not sure why you keep quoting me I don’t ever respond to you because you’re a fucking moron.

7 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

This guy is a globe shill like you. I’m not sure why you keep quoting me I don’t ever respond to you because you’re a fucking moron.

Imagine, just like this guys says.  The flat earth no mind resorts to calling names when faced with actual proof of his own retardation.  what is your IQ?  Cause I would be surprised if you didn't have to take the short bus, and are still wearing your hockey helmet.  You are the moron, you are the idiot that cannot understand basic physics, you are the moron that cannot even get off his ass to prove his own theory right or wrong. You are the problem with this planet, you are a zit on the face of humanity and should be ashamed to believe what you do.  

P.s. I have more intelligence in my little fingernail than you will ever possess.  cheers flat earth retard.  

Edited by WildMann

10 hours ago, jtssrx said:

Here’s Neal Degrasse Tyson telling you your about seeing curvature in an airplane and the the redbull space jump Was a fraud

Big deal dude....maybe I can't see the curvature when flying and its in my mind but he is saying that because of the massive size of the globe which also defeats many of your theories like "shit would fly off the planet."  

Its hilarious you like to post stuff on Tyson.   Here is one for you.   Funny how you FE's pick and choose what you WANT to believe.

59 minutes ago, WildMann said:

This guy has amazing videos based on knowledge and real everyday physics, you know the physics that never change.  

The 10 things video is about all one needs to say.

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Big deal dude....maybe I can't see the curvature when flying and its in my mind but he is saying that because of the massive size of the globe which also defeats many of your theories like "shit would fly off the planet."  

I finally got him to burst a blood vessel. Keep up with the facts. Maybe he will go into full flat earth meltdown.  LMAO      the globe turns at .00069 RPM, with such a low RPM compared with how MASSive our planet is, see what I did there?. gravity is based on MASS, how would we fly off?    Simple question, but for inferior minds, lets go to our callers.   

Edited by WildMann

1 minute ago, WildMann said:

I finally got him to burst a blood vessel. Keep up with the facts. Maybe he will go into full flat earth meltdown.  LMAO      the globe turns at .00069 RPM, with such a low RPM compared with how MASSive our planet is, see what I did there?. gravity is based on MASS, how would we fly off?    Simple question, but for inferior minds, lets go to our callers.   

Yep.   I posted all that already.   1 RPM is 1440 times faster. :lol:  

• Haha 1