End of the road for mom

So my mother is now in a home , battling copd,  heart failure,  dementia and some other stuff. She's not expected to make it Monday. I saw her today with my 2 brothers and it was heart breaking to see her like this. She thinks they are trying to kill her, doesn't remember us much , and is deteriorating extremely fast. I can't do that scene again , but I will if she's around tomorrow.  Hate this shit. Worst part is she knows she's got a limited amount of time and does not want to go. I dont wish dementia on my worst enemy 

• Sad 8

Sorry for what you are going through. My Mother lingered for years with dementia, she even lasted 2 or 3 weeks after the Doctor said she had only a day or 2 to live, still haunts me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Cold War said:

That sucks.  Dreading having to go through that with my folks.  

Its brutal. She was very combative with the staff there which is complete opposite of her. They put her on morphine to calm her down. Its hooked up in her back

1 minute ago, 1jkw said:

Sorry for what you are going through. My Mother lingered for years with dementia, she even lasted 2 or 3 weeks after the Doctor said she had only a day or 2 to live, still haunts me.

Thanks !  She was only diagnosed 2 months ago. Doctors are bewildered how its advancing so fast. 

14 minutes ago, snatchslayer said:

Its brutal. She was very combative with the staff there which is complete opposite of her. They put her on morphine to calm her down. Its hooked up in her back

Thanks !  She was only diagnosed 2 months ago. Doctors are bewildered how its advancing so fast. 

Hate to even say it, but as hard as it is to deal with a quick end would have been welcomed for my Mom, compared to the years of suffering.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 1jkw said:

Hate to even say it, but as hard as it is to deal with a quick end would have been welcomed for my Mom, compared to the years of suffering.

Yeah, that's what we are hoping for as well. Not to sound morbid , but it would be best for her at this point. She's in a lot of pain due to other ailments.  Its just a terrible situation 

10 minutes ago, snatchslayer said:

Yeah, that's what we are hoping for as well. Not to sound morbid , but it would be best for her at this point. She's in a lot of pain due to other ailments.  Its just a terrible situation 

Just know that there is nothing wrong with hoping your Mom's suffering ends sooner rather than later, it's not morbid it's showing compassion.

• Thanks 5

Horrible stuff. Sorry guys/gals. Truly. Tough for sure. :(

Been thru it. One longer one not so long. :(

Edited by CFM
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 1jkw said:

Fuck my mother in law lasted 4 yrs after they told us don't travel to far from home for Easter we don't think she will make the weekend . That was almost 600k later 

• Sad 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

So my mother is now in a home , battling copd,  heart failure,  dementia and some other stuff. She's not expected to make it Monday. I saw her today with my 2 brothers and it was heart breaking to see her like this. She thinks they are trying to kill her, doesn't remember us much , and is deteriorating extremely fast. I can't do that scene again , but I will if she's around tomorrow.  Hate this shit. Worst part is she knows she's got a limited amount of time and does not want to go. I dont wish dementia on my worst enemy 

Sorry to hear....thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

• Like 1

My mother-in-law had a stroke 3 1/2 years ago. In a nursing home now. When we visit, she knows we are family, but cannot name names or get a sentence out really. My biggest fear is that she is afraid and stressed, and cannot articulate it. She seems content, but who really knows. 

If you have the choice of your body going first or your mind, hope it is your body that gives out, at least for me. 

• Like 1

Jesus.  What a sad thread.  Sorry about your mom, Snatchy.  Many of us are going though this or starting to now.  Both my wife’s parents died last year and both of mine are entering some real health trouble right now.  I don’t expect to have both by Christmas anymore.

Fucking life….nobody gets out alive.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Went through it with my Mom, it's a tough go. Not morbid at all, your just wishing her peace and pain free. I feel for you, good luck

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

Sounds like aphasia dementia comes on very fast and affects frontal lob . 

Just hope for your and her sake they don't keep her alive in the home for the $$$ . 

• Like 1

Fyi washingtion is the only right to die state in America.  You have to have a solid heathcare directive in place before your mind goes and be a resident for over a yr .

My wife is very insistent we own property in washingtion before we are 60 . She has seen 3 generations of women in her family go thrugh the slow ugly March to death from dementia.  

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, snatchslayer said:

So my mother is now in a home , battling copd,  heart failure,  dementia and some other stuff. She's not expected to make it Monday. I saw her today with my 2 brothers and it was heart breaking to see her like this. She thinks they are trying to kill her, doesn't remember us much , and is deteriorating extremely fast. I can't do that scene again , but I will if she's around tomorrow.  Hate this shit. Worst part is she knows she's got a limited amount of time and does not want to go. I don't wish dementia on my worst enemy 

Sorry to hear, Snatch. :sad:

• Like 1