Antifa wildfire season is almost here

• Platinum Contributing Member

Be prepared for some insane increases in crop related products if this drought continues thru the northern MW.   We might see >$10.00 corn this fall.  

2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Be prepared for some insane increases in crop related products if this drought continues thru the northern MW.   We might see >$10.00 corn this fall.  

Grass is just about smoked here. Haven’t had a decent rain in a long time.

40 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Grass is just about smoked here. Haven’t had a decent rain in a long time.

i'm letting mine go,  we already have water restrictions coming into place no reason to spend 500 this month to have watering banned in July.  if we get enough rain to remove the restrictions the lawn will be fine.  

48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i'm letting mine go,  we already have water restrictions coming into place no reason to spend 500 this month to have watering banned in July.  if we get enough rain to remove the restrictions the lawn will be fine.  

Beauty of living in the country.   My system runs each stage 45 minutes every other night and is keeping up nicely.   Haven't put this much water down in June since I built the place in 2007-8.  Can't stand dormant, burnt up grass.  

20210601_183209_resized.jpg

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Beauty of living in the country.   My system runs each stage 45 minutes every other night and is keeping up nicely.   Haven't put this much water down in June since I built the place in 2007-8.  Can't stand dormant, burnt up grass.  

20210601_183209_resized.jpg

good and bad about town services.   TBH i like the no maint aspect of town water, sewer and gas.   

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

good and bad about town services.   TBH i like the no maint aspect of town water, sewer and gas.   

Well/septic is virtually no maintenance except getting septic pumped about once every 5 years.  Simple call to a buddies company.   Gas I'm on a regular schedule for fills so I never have to even call...they just show up.   Will even come when not needed if a price increase is coming.   Electric with a local CO-OP who is great.   Only real PITA was internet and now I'm on fiber optic its pretty good as well. 

• Gold Member
10 hours ago, Highmark said:

Well/septic is virtually no maintenance except getting septic pumped about once every 5 years.  Simple call to a buddies company.   Gas I'm on a regular schedule for fills so I never have to even call...they just show up.   Will even come when not needed if a price increase is coming.   Electric with a local CO-OP who is great.   Only real PITA was internet and now I'm on fiber optic its pretty good as well. 

Filtration is a added cost for a well. Yearly water test. The media in my filtration system has to be changed every 5yrs. The biggest difference i don’t care for with well/septic is it’s a lot more sensitive as to what can go down the drain. Town sewer flush or drain basically anything down, septic not so much. Both have there positive and negative but I agree septic/well ftw mainly because I hate monthly bills.

10 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Filtration is a added cost for a well. Yearly water test. The media in my filtration system has to be changed every 5yrs. The biggest difference i don’t care for with well/septic is it’s a lot more sensitive as to what can go down the drain. Town sewer flush or drain basically anything down, septic not so much. Both have there positive and negative but I agree septic/well ftw mainly because I hate monthly bills.

Not here.  I do have an RO system but only for the water to the fridge/freezer/ice maker and a separate faucet at the main kitchen sink which we hardly use.   I've had our well water tested twice in 13 years and its always really good.  Added benefit is no added fluoride to well water.  I would have needed an iron filter had I needed to go deep to the aquifer however my well is on a vein much more shallow.   Can support my sprinkler system running 8-10 heads at a time. 

Today's septic safe toilet paper is really pretty good.   Not a big deal not flushing other stuff.    

10 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

lets also add the cost to put in the well and septic,   potential costs with failure of a leach field,  septic or well pump.    long run the cost is prob not that different.   i did spend 2k replacing a water line that got abraded through on my side of the town valve last spring.  

18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

lets also add the cost to put in the well and septic,   potential costs with failure of a leach field,  septic or well pump.    long run the cost is prob not that different.   i did spend 2k replacing a water line that got abraded through on my side of the town valve last spring.  

Over time your utility bills for water/sewage will far exceed my well/septic installation costs.  Water/sewage costs are getting very expensive. 

• Americans this year will pay an average of $104 per month in water and wastewater bills, up more than 30% in less than a decade.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/water-bills-rising-cost-of-water-creating-big-utility-bills-for-americans/

• Gold Member
Just now, Angry ginger said:

Ya i was gonna bring the cost of the actual well/septic up but figured your still paying to hook up to town sewer/water line too probably less money but they still both got upfront cost. Your right though over the long run they probably average out to about the same cost maybe well/septic having a slight edge in savings.

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not here.  I do have an RO system but only for the water to the fridge/freezer/ice maker and a separate faucet at the main kitchen sink which we hardly use.   I've had our well water tested twice in 13 years and its always really good.  Added benefit is no added fluoride to well water.  I would have needed an iron filter had I needed to go deep to the aquifer however my well is on a vein much more shallow.   Can support my sprinkler system running 8-10 heads at a time. 

Today's septic safe toilet paper is really pretty good.   Not a big deal not flushing other stuff.    

My wells 410ft we have high iron around here I didn’t need the filtration but for short money I don’t have to look at orange stains so it was worth it to me. We were told to test yearly I’m sure it’s not needed but for how cheap it is I’d rather just make sure.

It’s not just tp i was talking about. We use to flush or drain everything when we had town sewer tissues, paper towel, food, cooking grease everything went down haha. Just a lot more cautious with the septic.

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

Ya i was gonna bring the cost of the actual well/septic up but figured your still paying to hook up to town sewer/water line too probably less money but they still both got upfront cost. Your right though over the long run they probably average out to about the same cost maybe well/septic having a slight edge in savings.

My wells 410ft we have high iron around here I didn’t need the filtration but for short money I don’t have to look at orange stains so it was worth it to me. We were told to test yearly I’m sure it’s not needed but for how cheap it is I’d rather just make sure.

It’s not just tp i was talking about. We use to flush or drain everything when we had town sewer tissues, paper towel, food, cooking grease everything went down haha. Just a lot more cautious with the septic.

That's about as deep as I would have had to go if I didn't hit a good water vein.   We hit one under 200 ft.  If we need to go to the aquifer a iron filter would have been recommended.  

Only septic safe in the toilet but normal everything else.   I lived on city sewer for 10 years before moving out here and really haven't changed that much.   Not like I was flushing paper towels used for cleaning before.  As for cooking grease we really don't have that much.   Most goes down the kitchen sink and we've yet to have an issue.  No complaints from the people who pump the septic.  

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Over time your utility bills for water/sewage will far exceed my well/septic installation costs.  Water/sewage costs are getting very expensive. 

• Americans this year will pay an average of $104 per month in water and wastewater bills, up more than 30% in less than a decade.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/water-bills-rising-cost-of-water-creating-big-utility-bills-for-americans/

It’s really probably not much difference. Paid 8,400 for well and I think 15k ish for septic plus 3k filtration call it 27k. At the old house we paid 90-120 month water/sewer call it $110 month. It take 20yrs of monthly payments to cover just the upfront cost not including maintenance. Both need potential repairs over time. I’m sure over the long run the cost is about the same.

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

It’s really probably not much difference. Paid 8,400 for well and I think 15k ish for septic plus 3k filtration call it 27k. At the old house we paid 90-120 month water/sewer call it $110 month. It take 20yrs of monthly payments to cover just the upfront cost not including maintenance. Both need potential repairs over time. I’m sure over the long run the cost is about the same.

Agree being similar but new home city construction you would have some hookup costs.   Like you stated above it wouldn't be as much but still some.  

I think water/sewage utilities are going to go up significantly over the next 10 years.  

Edited by Highmark

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Agree being similar but new home city construction you would have some hookup costs.   Like you stated above it wouldn't be as much but still some.  

I think water/sewage utilities are going to go up significantly over the next 10 years.  

Yup, mine only went up the 11yrs I had it. We are probably way overly cautious with what goes down the septic because both our parents had to have there’s replaced fairly early and I don’t wanna pay that expensive. I’d still take well/septic any day over town sewer/water but like anything everyone has there personal preference.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

my winter water/sewer is $40/mo.  Summer when i run the sprinklers stupid money and we don't have separate meters for watering like some municipalities have.    

I watered the lawn for two months daily one year at the old place got the first month bill midway through the second month of watering it. Bill was over $300 so ya that put a end to watering the lawn lol. I can live with burnt grass for that monthly cost. That’s one nice perk of a well I can water the grass as much as I want.

14 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

my winter water/sewer is $40/mo.  Summer when i run the sprinklers stupid money and we don't have separate meters for watering like some municipalities have.    

About 25 years ago a guy in my town was  pissed about not having separate meters so he put in his own well just for his sprinkler system.   City wasn't too happy about it but never did anything.   Likely would never get away with that today.

Edited by Highmark

14 minutes ago, Highmark said:

About 25 years ago a guy in my town was  pissed about not having separate meters so he put in his own well just for his sprinkler system.   City wasn't too happy about it but never did anything.   Likely would never get away with that today.

couple of my neighbors actually have a well for that alone.  they have signs at the end of their driveway so when the water police are riding around during water bans they don't get shut off.  

• Like 1