Vermont Is 1st State to Vaccinate 80% of Eligible Population

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont became the first state in the country to vaccinate at least 80% of the eligible population, prompting Gov. Phil Scott to lift all remaining state COVID-19 restrictions.

Vermont crossed the threshold on Sunday when the state vaccinated 1,151 people, reaching a level of 80.2% of those over age 12. The goal was reached 464 days after the Republican governor declared the state of emergency on March 13, 2020.

The state has now vaccinated 81.1% of the population over 18, exceeding President Biden’s goal of 70% of those 18 and older.

“There is no doubt, each of us, every single Vermonter, has been through a lot over the last 15 months," Scott said.

He added: “Our state has shown the world what’s possible when you have a group of people with the right attitude, following the data and trusting medical science."

To accomplish the goal, the state sent vaccination teams across Vermont state parks, race courses, and any locations where people gathered to find more people who needed the vaccine.

Reaching the 80% vaccination level of those over age 12 helps minimize the spread of the virus between people and throughout the community, Vermont Health Commissioner Dr. Mark Levine said at the news conference.

As a result, there will be fewer hospitalizations and it will help prevent more loss of life from COVID-19.

“’It also means less opportunity of mutations and more virulent strains from developing,” Levine said.

Levine said it’s hoped that later this year, the vaccine will be approved for use in children under age 12. He said he was working with pediatricians to be ready to administer the vaccine to children when it becomes available.

While the state restrictions have been lifted, federal restrictions, such as mask requirements in airports and other forms of public transportation remain. The legal state of emergency will be allowed to expire at midnight Tuesday when it would have been up for renewal.

Vermont businesses will be allowed to require customers to wear masks, which Scott equated to the “no shirt, no shoes, no service” mandate used at many retail establishments.

The end of the restrictions in Vermont come as the state has seen a steady decline in COVID-19 cases. On Monday, Vermont reported one new case of COVID-19. The state had one fatality in the last month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J. Jackson said:

I'm not one of the 80% nor will I be.

Fortunately you weren't needed to reach 80%. I'm just glad to see all restrictions removed. Let's hope for busy summer, and fall tourism seasons. :bc:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ckf said:

Fortunately you weren't needed to reach 80%. I'm just glad to see all restrictions removed. Let's hope for busy summer, and fall tourism seasons. :bc:

I understand and have no problem with those that want the vaccine. It's their choice. I won't shit on them and hope that they respect my choice is all. I own a business and can honestly say that I've probably had only a handful of people that were unbelievably paranoid come into our place in the past year and a half.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ckf said:

MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Vermont became the first state in the country to vaccinate at least 80% of the eligible population, prompting Gov. Phil Scott to lift all remaining state COVID-19 restrictions.

Vermont crossed the threshold on Sunday when the state vaccinated 1,151 people, reaching a level of 80.2% of those over age 12. The goal was reached 464 days after the Republican governor declared the state of emergency on March 13, 2020.

The state has now vaccinated 81.1% of the population over 18, exceeding President Biden’s goal of 70% of those 18 and older.

“There is no doubt, each of us, every single Vermonter, has been through a lot over the last 15 months," Scott said.

He added: “Our state has shown the world what’s possible when you have a group of people with the right attitude, following the data and trusting medical science."

To accomplish the goal, the state sent vaccination teams across Vermont state parks, race courses, and any locations where people gathered to find more people who needed the vaccine.

Reaching the 80% vaccination level of those over age 12 helps minimize the spread of the virus between people and throughout the community, Vermont Health Commissioner Dr. Mark Levine said at the news conference.

As a result, there will be fewer hospitalizations and it will help prevent more loss of life from COVID-19.

“’It also means less opportunity of mutations and more virulent strains from developing,” Levine said.

Levine said it’s hoped that later this year, the vaccine will be approved for use in children under age 12. He said he was working with pediatricians to be ready to administer the vaccine to children when it becomes available.

While the state restrictions have been lifted, federal restrictions, such as mask requirements in airports and other forms of public transportation remain. The legal state of emergency will be allowed to expire at midnight Tuesday when it would have been up for renewal.

Vermont businesses will be allowed to require customers to wear masks, which Scott equated to the “no shirt, no shoes, no service” mandate used at many retail establishments.

The end of the restrictions in Vermont come as the state has seen a steady decline in COVID-19 cases. On Monday, Vermont reported one new case of COVID-19. The state had one fatality in the last month.

Do you believe there are that many sepp in Vermont.  Never been but 2 options 

1 govenment full of shit 

2 the state lives up to its stereotype 

I understand and have no problem with those that want the vaccine. It's their choice. I won't shit on them and hope that they respect my choice is all. I own a business and can honestly say that I've probably had only a handful of people that were unbelievably paranoid come into our place in the past year and a half.

Agreed that some businesses did fine over the span of the restrictions, but the service industries need the boost of being 100% open 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

• Platinum Contributing Member

You’re one of the few here that actually feels that way.👍🏼

17 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Umm...huh?  Most of us have repeated pretty much exactly what he said.

9 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Highest cuck per capita, good to know!

Sure you do. :lol:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Sure you do. :lol:

Just because most of us don’t care to high-five everyone here touting their shot records, doesn’t mean we necessarily care that you get them.

Maybe we can have a Covid Pride Day in the near future to celebrate the brave souls giving their full civic duty!  :lol:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Just because most of us don’t care to high-five everyone here touting their shot records, doesn’t mean we necessarily care that you get them.

Maybe we can have a Covid Pride Day in the near future to celebrate the brave souls giving their full civic duty!  :lol:

I have a copy of the promo poster. 

Now they just need a flag 

Screenshot_20210614-210604_Chrome.jpg

Does VT even have 1 million people ? I don’t think my state NH does either. So, pretty easy to be firsts of some higher %

Edited by CFM

7 hours ago, Zambroski said:

LOL, yeah making fun of those that get it is just like saying that it doesn't matter. Get a fucking clue dude.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CFM said:

Does VT even have 1 million people ? I don’t think my state NH does either. So, pretty easy to be firsts of some higher %

I think when doses were first given out it was based on a states total population.

6 hours ago, CFM said:

I beleive VT is around 675,000 people. nh 1.5 mil . Maine 1.5

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckf said:

LOL, yeah making fun of those that get it is just like saying that it doesn't matter. Get a fucking clue dude.

Being proud of getting a shot is what brings the mockery.  Also, proclaiming your state was "awarded" it's freedom back by hitting 80% does it too!  :lol2:

“Our state has shown the world what’s possible when you have a group of people with the right attitude, following the data and trusting medical science."    :lol: 

This is how you know you are going the wrong direction in life  Congrats from the squidbrains.  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

17 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Nice work!

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Being proud of getting a shot is what brings the mockery.  Also, proclaiming your state was "awarded" it's freedom back by hitting 80% does it too!  :lol2:

“Our state has shown the world what’s possible when you have a group of people with the right attitude, following the data and trusting medical science."    :lol: 

This is how you know you are going the wrong direction in life  Congrats from the squid brains.  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

The commercials up here are basically the same thing. All designed to shame you into getting the vaccine. Like what was said on here by another member, in these commercials, (which are steady as you can imagine), not one word about the possible side affects, breakthrough cases, hospitalizations nor deaths. Just get your vaccine and do your part and be a part of the movement. I've never seen such a huge brainwashing effort in my life coming from our gov't. It's sickening. 

Well considering Hispanics and AA's are most hesitant to get the vaccine and Vermont is one of the whitest states it makes sense.  :lol: