Russian criminal group suspected in Colonial pipeline ransomware attack

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

These guys are drilling into stuff could easily be considered a national security matter. It should get the attention of someone in authority. Panic buying is currently occurring in some areas because of this. Last year the attack on finance by Russian influencers was uncovered. The damage from that has gone black. 

Don't count on Congress to do anything until after a catastrophic event and then they'll overreact. 

Utility providers should be required to undergo extensive penetration testing annually and if they repeatedly fail a list of basic requirements, they should be fined until they comply. 

The amount of places that have been breached in incredibly basic ways is just absurd. Default passwords on servers, Telnet open to routers. :flush:

Already have stations here running out of regular.  Our asshole Governor is threatening the  Canadians she is shutting down the pipeline.  Paid 3.00 a gallon today. 

1 hour ago, SSFB said:

Don't count on Congress to do anything until after a catastrophic event and then they'll overreact. 

Utility providers should be required to undergo extensive penetration testing annually and if they repeatedly fail a list of basic requirements, they should be fined until they comply. 

The amount of places that have been breached in incredibly basic ways is just absurd. Default passwords on servers, Telnet open to routers. :flush:

I doubt that you’ll see anything catastrophic. These Russian guys are smarter than that. They’ll nickel and dime the system. Of course there’s always the possibility that if the victims don’t pay up they could retaliate. Nothing happens in Russia without Putin’s inner circle knowing. Vlad is laughing his ass off today. 

10 hours ago, SSFB said:

We're living in a world where the bean counters see it as less costly to forgo proper IT Security and deal with the consequences of a breach later than to invest the proper funds on a continual basis to put proper controls into place to stop breaches. They face almost no consequences from the law either. 

Eventually shit will get bad enough to where companies will learn but we're not there yet. 

Not sure that is true . I have family and 1 good friend who are in cyber security on extremely high leves and they pretty much name there price and have offeres coming in all the time . My brow inlaw litteraly just got 2x the money of his last gig if he moved to TX.  Not sure what that is but I know like 8 or 9  yrs ago he was rolling in close to 200k  . To his benefit he had clearance from when he was a contractor for black water and has been able to keep it up.  

My bud retired at 45 as head of the security team at a company who has military contracts serve the aerospace industry and health services .robotics manufacturing.  Etc etc but are best known by the masses for there thermostats . After he was done there he started doing contract work and has been rolling a new amg ever yr after new cabins sleds boats and he is working part time .