top fuel dragster insanity

TOP FUEL ACCELERATION IN PERSPECTIVE

-One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower (10,000HP / 7,456.999kW) than the first 5 rows at the Daytona 500.

-Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1.2-1.5 gallons of nitro methane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

-A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to merely drive the dragster's supercharger.

-With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

-At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F.

-Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

-Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

-Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

-If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

-Dragsters reach over 300 MPH (482 kmh) before you have completed reading this sentence.

-In order to exceed 300 MPH (482 kmh) in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 MPH (322 kmh) well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

-Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!

-Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

-The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

-THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

-0 to 100 MPH (160 kmh) in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet of the run). 0 to 200 MPH (322 kmh) in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet of the run)

-6 G-forces at the starting line. 6 negative G-forces upon deployment of twin parachutes at 300 MPH (482 kmh).

-An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker than any other land vehicle on earth - quicker than a jet fighter, quicker than the space shuttle.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record 3.659 seconds for the quarter-mile (Brittany Force). This was done at 338 MPH (544 kmh!).

Putting this all into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH (322 kmh). The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment.

The dragster launches - starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums. Within 3 seconds the dragster catches you, passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him.

From a standing start, the dragster had spotted you at 200 MPH (322 kmh). Not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320-foot-long race!

• Like 5

• Platinum Contributing Member

Does drag racing still have a following? Is there money there?

I remember when I knew a good chunk of the drivers names but I haven't seen much coverage of events in years.

13 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I remember when I knew a good chunk of the drivers names but I haven't seen much coverage of events in years.

NHRA is still big. We go to the Lucas oil NHRA nationals every year at BIR and the place is packed. All of the camp sites are full and every hotel, motel resort in the Brainerd area is full.

https://www.birmn.com/

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Aside from national events, the couple weekly races I've been too make me wonder how they keep the electric bill paid and pay a purse.

4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Aside from national events, the couple weekly races I've been too make me wonder how they keep the electric bill paid and pay a purse.

There used to be ads for events and it was a big deal when it was NHRA in Ontario. But I don't remember seeing anything advertised in the last 10 years. I see Day Events on my Facebook from groups I belong to (Ford Day, Harley Day, etc) but not the big events. As you say, not sure how these places stay afloat in this market.

Hooligan midnight stunt shows get more attention here.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

The traffic jam on 371  all weekend at BIR tells me yeah big following 

50 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

The traffic jam on 371  all weekend at BIR tells me yeah big following 

This weekend?

BIR is unique in that they have the twisties and hold more then just one NHRA weekend and a bunch of locals weekend drag strip stuff.  

If you can find their full schedule, they probably have cars on a track 4-5 days a week all summer long.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Another thing ESPN doesn't show anymore so they can bring you more updates on LeBron tweets. 

The last time I watches ESPN, if it wasn't football, baseball, or basketball, it doesn't exist to them.  Maybe some hockey gets sprinkled in during their season.  

12 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

This weekend?

BIR is unique in that they have the twisties and hold more then just one NHRA weekend and a bunch of locals weekend drag strip stuff.  

If you can find their full schedule, they probably have cars on a track 4-5 days a week all summer long.

https://www.birmn.com/events

Just now, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Experiencing a fuel car in person is something everyone should do once in their life. It’s indescribable. 

it really id the most awesome machine in all of motorsports. The ground literally shakes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Another thing ESPN doesn't show anymore so they can bring you more updates on LeBron tweets. 

And Cornhole championships...I mean wtf..

12 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

NHRA is still big. We go to the Lucas oil NHRA nationals every year at BIR and the place is packed. All of the camp sites are full and every hotel, motel resort in the Brainerd area is full.

https://www.birmn.com/

We used to go to BIR when I was a kid all through HS.  It was a blast.  Glad to see them still kicking.

9 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

The last time I watches ESPN, if it wasn't football, baseball, or basketball, it doesn't exist to them.  Maybe some hockey gets sprinkled in during their season.  

I just watch ESPN for the political viewpoints.  It makes sense.

9 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Experiencing a fuel car in person is something everyone should do once in their life. It’s indescribable. 

Yep.

9 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

it really id the most awesome machine in all of motorsports. The ground literally shakes.

It's fucking crazy!  

9 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

My first experience with a fuel car was at a small track here in Michigan where the spectator fence was WAY too close to the track so that when they went by you, it would blow you off the fence, if you were leaning against it. 

Took the wife down to Norwalk a few years back for her first experience with the big cars. She loved it. Trying to get back down there but the only National events by us are Norwalk the weekend before July 4th (always hot as fuck) or Indy which is Labor Day weekend which we always camp on that weekend. I’d love to catch a race down in Bristol or out in Vegas one of these days. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

TNN use to carry the NHRA events up here on T.V. but as far as I know, only Fox sports does now? Like you I also knew almost everyone but I bet I don't now?

I've been to Cayuga raceway but that was like centuries ago now. My bud races at Shannonville occasionally but he is talking now about selling everything due to the expense of it all. Covid messed things up big time too.

The best is watching those who have never experienced it before 😂😂 especially when ya get a good whiff of nitro fumes, better hope it doesn’t catch ya in the eyes either, I learned that the hard way 😂

• Like 1

Yup, Top Fuel in person is nutz. As others stated, you would never believe it. Put it on your bucket list !

The facts the OP quoted are off some. No big deal though.

1 hour ago, yami123 said:

The best is watching those who have never experienced it before 😂😂 especially when ya get a good whiff of nitro fumes, better hope it doesn’t catch ya in the eyes either, I learned that the hard way 😂

LOL.!  Yep...on all of it.  Red glowing, glassy eyes look really cool with a ear to ear smile!

we have an NHRA strip about 15 miles from me.   outside a few select weekends doesn't seem to have much going on.   Used to be a decent turnout for local drag nights a few times a week but lately those seem to not get many

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

we have an NHRA strip about 15 miles from me.   outside a few select weekends doesn't seem to have much going on.   Used to be a decent turnout for local drag nights a few times a week but lately those seem to not get many

Might have been there 40-50+ times. Early-mid 90’s. Maybe not. Lolololol

The only thing I've even found to be as good or slightly more impressive in person is a static test of a 5 segment solid rocket booster. One more then the old space shuttle.

I've always thought this was a cool video to help wrap your head around

• Like 1