Question for photography guys.

26 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Has anyone tried 7Artisan prime lenses? The price of lenses are insane right now and these are very reasonable and have some good reviews. 

I hadn't heard of them until I just looked them up. Anything at dpreview or the likes?

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I hadn't heard of them until I just looked them up. Anything at dpreview or the likes?

I only looked on Amazon. Good reviews for the most part. I put in an order for a 25mm 1.8. Its $74. The only downside is it’s fully manual focus. I rarely use auto focus so it’s not a huge negative. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I only looked on Amazon. Good reviews for the most part. I put in an order for a 25mm 1.8. Its $74. The only downside is it’s fully manual focus. I rarely use auto focus so it’s not a huge negative. 

What kind of lens is only 74 bucks lol . Add a zero and you are just getting in to 1/2 ass home pro pricing . My wife has some worth more than my sleds 

39 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

What kind of lens is only 74 bucks lol . Add a zero and you are just getting in to 1/2 ass home pro pricing . My wife has some worth more than my sleds 

12 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

You should stop buying shit for sleds. 

• Haha 1

I love hearing "you must have a great camera with photos like that" LOL. Not true at all.

A few years ago a young friend was spending a lot of coin on camera s and lenses. I tried to tell him to work on his craft 1st, but he just kept buying more and better equipment thinking it would make him better. I was switching systems at the time and decided to just buy an 8 year old Canon Rebel with basic kit lenses.  My pictures from that old setup still sell much better than anything coming from his $5000 setup and I only had $300 8n that kit. 

I'm not saying nice glass doesn't help, but it isn't everything. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I love hearing "you must have a great camera with photos like that" LOL. Not true at all.

A few years ago a young friend was spending a lot of coin on camera s and lenses. I tried to tell him to work on his craft 1st, but he just kept buying more and better equipment thinking it would make him better. I was switching systems at the time and decided to just buy an 8 year old Canon Rebel with basic kit lenses.  My pictures from that old setup still sell much better than anything coming from his $5000 setup and I only had $300 8n that kit. 

Totally agree, but...

Everything else equal, you get what you pay for when it comes to glass.  Can a good photographer take amazing photos with a shit lens and camera?  Sure.  Can the same photographer take infinitely better photos with better equipment?  100%.

The majority of my lenses are $2500+.  I have a few that are around the $1k mark.

IMG_1971.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I’ve never been a pixel peeper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, low-1 said:

Totally agree, but...

Everything else equal, you get what you pay for when it comes to glass.  Can a good photographer take amazing photos with a shit lens and camera?  Sure.  Can the same photographer take infinitely better photos with better equipment?  100%.

The majority of my lenses are $2500+.  I have a few that are around the $1k mark.

IMG_1971.JPG

I'm not disagreeing with you that you get what you pay for, but it's possible to get good images with less expensive glass. Hell, Lightroom corrects most of the downfalls of the basic lenses anyway. Now if looking for faster lenses for sports, or wildlife you are going to have to pay up. My most expensive lens is my Tamron 70-200 f/8 G2. I wanted a faster lens for photographing moose in lower lightning situations. I think that lens was around $1700.

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I’ve never been a pixel peeper. 

I used to but have realized that it doesn't matter. Funny thing is that 90% of my sales are from what is basically a smartphone camera. I've printed as large as 4 feet long panoramas without any issues. I could probably get by 90% of the time on the ground with something like a Sony RX100.

13 minutes ago, ckf said:

I'm not disagreeing with you that you get what you pay for, but it's possible to get good images with less expensive glass. Hell, Lightroom corrects most of the downfalls of the basic lenses anyway. Now if looking for faster lenses for sports, or wildlife you are going to have to pay up. My most expensive lens is my Tamron 70-200 f/8 G2. I wanted a faster lens for photographing moose in lower lightning situations. I think that lens was around $1700.

I used to but have realized that it doesn't matter. Funny thing is that 90% of my sales are from what is basically a smartphone camera. I've printed as large as 4 feet long panoramas without any issues. I could probably get by 90% of the time on the ground with something like a Sony RX100.

The nikkor "trilogy", the 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 are all around the $2500 mark new, still almost $2000 on the used market.  Got out of selling photography a few years ago, but decided to get a few of mine printed up when we moved into our new house this past fall.  The one is 5 ft long and the other is around 3 ft square.  Really happy with them, can see every star in the sky.

nl1.jpg

nl2.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, low-1 said:

The nikkor "trilogy", the 14-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 are all around the $2500 mark new, still almost $2000 on the used market.  Got out of selling photography a few years ago, but decided to get a few of mine printed up when we moved into our new house this past fall.  The one is 5 ft long and the other is around 3 ft square.  Really happy with them, can see every star in the sky.

nl1.jpg

nl2.jpg

I miss seeing you post your pics :( i get why you need the faster stuff. For most of my landscapes I stop down to f/8 to f/11 anyway. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
On 5/7/2021 at 11:06 AM, low-1 said:

nl1.jpg

nl2.jpg

I follow you on IG, you got some talent my man!  :bc:

• Like 1