****official thread for people that walk the walk*****

51 minutes ago, Snake said:

Man, what the fuck is it with you and the look at me horseshit?

You are either the most jealous fuck on the planet or the guy who says "Oh fuck, another blow job."

Poor Sneaky, you and Bohica should have a contest to see who can pat themselves on the back the hardest. :lmao:

30 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

The idea wasn’t to be green for me.  It’s just fun to rub the pro climate change people’s nose in it that don’t take the leap.

it’s a pure and easy financial play that has huge returns.  $17k forever eliminates an electricity bill for me as well as eliminates a bunch of transportation costs.

:bc:

17 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Poor Sneaky, you and Bohica should have a contest to see who can pat themselves on the back the hardest. :lmao:

So it's the jealousy................................................

12 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Wrong again, just not a fan of people who toot their own horn.

Jesus.

Some of us have been on this forum in one way or another for over 15 years. We have been posting things about our lives ever since. Sleds we bought, guns, vehicles.... we talk about the birth of our kids and grand kids. It's not like we are jumping into a virgin forum where no one knows us and we are stepping on toes.

For some people, we interact with each other more than we interact with families. More than with fiends we know. And you want to shit on people who are either succeeding in life or are trying new things or simply have something to say about themselves.

If you are so offended by people succeeding or trying new things, stay off or shut up. No one cares you are butthurt over others' lives.

Admit certain people piss you off and you want nothing more than to shit on it. Honesty would be refreshing for a change.

• Like 2

• Gold Member

I looked in to solar and a bud installs it so I humored him.  He quoted me 1.88 per watt.  So my 19kw system was going to be right around 36,000.  Tax credits got it down under 30,000 bucks.  Still came out to a 16 year payback.  How much per watt did your system cost you?  Oh and those calculators with trees and light bulbs ect are a bunch of shit.  Make you feel all warm and fuzzy....  I didn't pencil for me.  I told my bud that they put 30 warranty on shingles to....  What good is it?  Oh and I would never poke holes in my roof for solar panels...

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Jesus.

Some of us have been on this forum in one way or another for over 15 years. We have been posting things about our lives ever since. Sleds we bought, guns, vehicles.... we talk about the birth of our kids and grand kids. It's not like we are jumping into a virgin forum where no one knows us and we are stepping on toes.

For some people, we interact with each other more than we interact with families. More than with fiends we know. And you want to shit on people who are either succeeding in life or are trying new things or simply have something to say about themselves.

If you are so offended by people succeeding or trying new things, stay off or shut up. No one cares you are butthurt over others' lives.

Admit certain people piss you off and you want nothing more than to shit on it. Honesty would be refreshing for a change.

Poor insecure little man, you actually believe I give a shit about you? I’m pushing your buttons and you damn near write an essay about it. :lmao:

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

I looked in to solar and a bud installs it so I humored him.  He quoted me 1.88 per watt.  So my 19kw system was going to be right around 36,000.  Tax credits got it down under 30,000 bucks.  Still came out to a 16 year payback.  How much per watt did your system cost you?  Oh and those calculators with trees and light bulbs ect are a bunch of shit.  Make you feel all warm and fuzzy....  I didn't pencil for me.  I told my bud that they put 30 warranty on shingles to....  What good is it?  Oh and I would never poke holes in my roof for solar panels...

How much are you a kwh for your electricity currently?

13 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

Poor insecure little man, you actually believe I give a shit about you? I’m pushing your buttons and you damn near write an essay about it. :lmao:

7Qij1cF.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, poopooforme said:

Man, I did a spreadsheet and did a 3-5-10 year ROI.  None of it made any sense to me from the financial standpoints.  But, if somebody is inclined (and capable) enough to get off the grid and install/maintain their equipment...I get it.

Funny thing is, when I told MN power I was considering getting off their line for my new build....man did they get all “free shit” on me.  They ran 150’ of underground power for me at cost.  Including transformer.  So...I mean, they know the pinch is there.

59 minutes ago, Snake said:

7Qij1cF.gif

:lol:

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, BOHICA said:

How much are you a kwh for your electricity currently?

11.4 cents per kwh plus 43 dollar meter charge per month.  New construction 1850 sq ft ranch with 1800 sq ft garage that is cooled with electric mini-split.  Highest bill I have seen in 3 summers is 140 bucks.  Spray foam rocks!!!!

• Gold Member
Just now, Zambroski said:

Man, I did a spreadsheet and did a 3-5-10 year ROI.  None of it made any sense to me from the financial standpoints.  But, if somebody is inclined (and capable) enough to get off the grid and install/maintain their equipment...I get it.

Funny thing is, when I told MN power I was considering getting off their line for my new build....man did they get all “free shit” on me.  They ran 150’ of underground power for me at cost.  Including transformer.  So...I mean, they know the pinch is there.

The problem is you are not "off the grid" in order to sell it back to power company you are still on the grid.  That was a big hangup for me as well.  If the grid goes down your solar goes down to.  So you are just as fucked as your neighbors with out solar.  Only way off the grid is to cut the cord and have a basement full of batteries.  Seriously.  

1 hour ago, poopooforme said:

Thought the same. What you need to also figure is what the 30K will earn every year if you invest it the use the earnings to offset your monthly bill. Also if you purchase you need to pay for the removal when you need a roof. The payback is not there yet.

15 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

The problem is you are not "off the grid" in order to sell it back to power company you are still on the grid.  That was a big hangup for me as well.  If the grid goes down your solar goes down to.  So you are just as fucked as your neighbors with out solar.  Only way off the grid is to cut the cord and have a basement full of batteries.  Seriously.  

Yeah.  Power is just too cheap to flip your nose at.  Now, going remote cabin-ish...yep, I’d get all batteried up.  Until then, a solid generator and switchgear keeps the fridge and tv going if need be.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:17 AM, BOHICA said:

48 panels on roof of my burbs postage stamp lot.  On my east and west sloping roof.  Easily zero’d my electric bill out and will fill an EV pickup for free on daily driving needs.  Currently the wife’s PHEV suv is at least 11 kwhs a day of free power which is worth about 18 miles in here vehicle.  Tax free driving!

EC689348-36A7-482C-96C5-45DFB563B67C.thumb.png.d46d95d30042e5372b0c3337e5833eb8.png

I was up on the roof a couple weeks ago to fix some ice dam damage on the soffit and I noticed my asphalt shingles were not in very good shape. Roof is only 16 years old so I am a little pissed about that. However I was also thinking that come replacement time would be interested in getting some kind of solar roof. 

I saw something about some shingle type system that goes on the entire roof and stores on a tesla power wall. I would definitely get an electric car or truck with that set up. Our utility company is pretty fucking dirty, they have all of the politicians on their board of directors and are always sticking higher rates up our asses. I'd like to go solar just to fuck them off. 

Edited by Anler
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
24 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

11.4 cents per kwh plus 43 dollar meter charge per month.  New construction 1850 sq ft ranch with 1800 sq ft garage that is cooled with electric mini-split.  Highest bill I have seen in 3 summers is 140 bucks.  Spray foam rocks!!!!

At your rates I have made just slightly over $40 in electricity in the 4.5 days my system has been online.  

At $140 bill being your highest and with a $43 meter charge your heavy month is around 800-850 kwh for the month.  140-43=$97 in electric useage charge.  97/.114 is 850 kwhs.

In 4 days of operating my system has put out 369 kwhs....  another day or 2 I will have produced around 1/2 of your electric needs on your heavy use month.  If my needs were that I would probably put in a 5-6kw system at around $7-8k before tax incentives.

4.5 days of out put on a 14.4 system...

1448C86A-F7B2-45D3-BECE-FDACA5755505.thumb.png.f3d58a27e5e963a4ff94796214ce2e24.png

• Gold Member

Non summer I’m 7.9 cents a kwh for  0-800 kwh.  8.9cent 800-1500kwh and 10.2 above 1500.

summer rates are 8.9, 10.7 and 12.3 on the useage levels above.

$270 was my big bill and use around $2000 a year in total electric cost.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

I was up on the roof a couple weeks ago to fix some ice dam damage on the soffit and I noticed my asphalt shingles were not in very good shape. Roof is only 16 years old so I am a little pissed about that. However I was also thinking that come replacement time would be interested in getting some kind of solar roof. 

I saw something about some shingle type system that goes on the entire roof and stores on a tesla power wall. I would definitely get an electric car or truck with that set up. Our utility company is pretty fucking dirty, they have all of the politicians on their board of directors and are always sticking higher rates up our asses. I'd like to go solar just to fuck them off. 

Tesla just bumped the price of the solar roof...  it a pretty expensive high end but very durable option.  Heck you can’t even get the powerwall without adding Tesla solar anymore.

I was looking at it as I may add battery to my system to make it hybrid and allow it to function as off grid during outages....  but total outage times per year with my utility averages 3 hours a year....  my area though is all new and underground from the substation.  4 years I think maybe we have been out of power like for maybe 5 minutes over the entire 4 years.  I would be interested in a beater ev with v2g that could serve as my battery during and outage that would cause the solar to fire up cause it “sense the grid”

Edited by BOHICA

56 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Tesla just bumped the price of the solar roof...  it a pretty expensive high end but very durable option.  Heck you can’t even get the powerwall without adding Tesla solar anymore.

I was looking at it as I may add battery to my system to make it hybrid and allow it to function as off grid during outages....  but total outage times per year with my utility averages 3 hours a year....  my area though is all new and underground from the substation.  4 years I think maybe we have been out of power like for maybe 5 minutes over the entire 4 years.  I would be interested in a beater ev with v2g that could serve as my battery during and outage that would cause the solar to fire up cause it “sense the grid”

Yeah ours is underground too but somehow something gets fucked up after the worst storm of the year and we lose power over night or some shit. 

I remember back in the 80’s rooftop hot water was all the rage. Cant say I have seen one in the last 15 years.

30K at 8% is 2,400 a year. Even after taxes it’s 200.00 bucks a month which more than pays your monthly electric bill.

unless you have a large flat lot where you can have a large array set up to do all your energy use the rooftops systems are not here yet unless you can store the power.

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I remember back in the 80’s rooftop hot water was all the rage. Cant say I have seen one in the last 15 years.

30K at 8% is 2,400 a year. Even after taxes it’s 200.00 bucks a month which more than pays your monthly electric bill.

unless you have a large flat lot where you can have a large array set up to do all your energy use the rooftops systems are not here yet unless you can store the power.

The climate emergency shouldnt be a money thing for somebody like you with near unlimited resources

40 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

The climate emergency shouldnt be a money thing for somebody like you with near unlimited resources

It all has to make financial sense....even you know this. 

• Gold Member
8 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’ve lightly looked into it for the house. 1600 sq ft with just the wife and I so it would probably make sense there. Not sure it would keep up with the needs of the shop I want to build in my barn though. Plus, I’m. not so sure about banking any extra to the power company. Wonder how long that will work before they start charging you for it. 

I know for my bud that has solar it isn’t worth not banking the spare. The utility pays him shit to buy his extra so it’s better to just bank it. It works for him because he usually uses his bank in the winter when it doesn’t make as much power but he still has a pretty excessive bank.

• Platinum Contributing Member

I've got a 10K set up on my shop but here in Ontario it all goes to the grid. Can't keep any for your self. They pay me better than 3 times the current rate on a 20 year contract. Break even is around 8 years.

Should be interesting when all these contracts start ending.

Edited by Blackstar

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I've got a 10K set up on my shop but here in Ontario it all goes to the grid. Can't keep any for your self. They pay me better than 3 times the current rate on a 20 year contract. Break even is around 8 years.

Should be interesting when all these contracts start ending.

I’m right around 8 years pay back...  if I would have built a system that met my electric needs I would have shorten my pay back to 7 ish.  But I over built with the intentions of adding an EV next year to eliminate $100 or 2 in fuel fillups ever month so my pay back is under 6.  

plus I’m immune to ever increasing energy costs at this point.   As much as EV’s are getting promoted and mandated electricity is only get more and more expensive.  You can’t have a year go by without a utility getting incremental increases in rates approved by the states utility commissions.  With EV’s sucking on the grid it will just increase the price of everyone’s electricity.