****official thread for people that walk the walk*****

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, BOHICA said:

I’m right around 8 years pay back...  if I would have built a system that met my electric needs I would have shorten my pay back to 7 ish.  But I over built with the intentions of adding an EV next year to eliminate $100 or 2 in fuel fillups ever month so my pay back is under 6.  

plus I’m immune to ever increasing energy costs at this point.   As much as EV’s are getting promoted and mandated electricity is only get more and more expensive.  You can’t have a year go by without a utility getting incremental increases in rates approved by the states utility commissions.  With EV’s sucking on the grid it will just increase the price of everyone’s electricity.

My initial investment was $30k. It had to be done through a licensed contractor. My contract with the local utility pays me $.38/kw for the next 20 years. It produces about $4000-4500 per year. I had the roof space on my shop and its a steel roof so no shingles to deal with.

People who got in on the early contracts were getting $.62/kw on a $75k investment for a fixed system and $.68/kw on a rotator.

A lot of the farmers got in on it. I have a customer who was building a new chicken barn at the time so he turned the barn to face southwest. He has 6 - 10k's on the roof. He says its his retirement plan.

Edited by Blackstar

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

My initial investment was $30k. It had to be done through a licensed contractor. My contract with the local utility pays me $.38/kw for the next 20 years. It produces about $4000-4500 per year. I had the roof space on my shop and its a steel roof so no shingles to deal with.

People who got in on the early contracts were getting $.62/kw on a $75k investment for a fixed system and $.68/kw on a rotator.

A lot of the farmers got in on it. I have a customer who was building a new chicken barn at the time so he turned the barn to face southwest. He has 6 - 10k's on the roof. He says its his retirement plan.

Dang that is a pretty good deal! No brainer if you got the roof space.  Congrats!

the contractor installed systems in my area are leased and just don’t make sense to me.  Monthly payments, installer keeps the tax credits, and they get a lien on your home until you pay the system off.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, BOHICA said:

First day running with my Roof top solar.  Still have a few hours of production today.

Anybody else practice what they preach here?  I’m not a climate activist and give 2 shit about the climate.  I care about my money and love the fact a sunsubstantial sum will not be going to the government cause of this and I can avoid taxes on fuel and have free electricity

942FC475-D494-4D97-8417-7D7697B41880.thumb.png.9818b1bf2614e2daffa2001f96fba91a.png

sorry but I believe in science 

• 1 month later...
  • Gold Member

About a day or so over a full 2 months of running.  Got a heck of a sizable bank of electricity that I can use for free.  Might have to see about switch over to a heat pump to use some electricity for heating in the colder months…..  Less natural gas useage and cost would be nice.  Got more electricity then I know what to do with.

4E21482C-4817-415D-A633-11F805AEC2C8.thumb.png.fb2c12cff73d9fb2191eacffe25e3a67.png

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Drove through IL this weekend and all the wind mills.  Not a one moving on the way up and only a few moving on the way back.

Relevance...beats me.  But, I've got nothing else to add here.  :lol: 

Down the road from me in Cicero they just clear cut 100's of acres or forest, I was like oh great, building a giant apartment complex, nope, a solar farm.. Odd, I remember 20 years ago when I got into the saw chain industry and all the tree huggers we would have to deal with, now they are all cut those trees down and put up windmills and solar farms..I mean you just can't make this shit up!! They flip flop more than a small mouth bass of the deck of the SS P550..:lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Down the road from me in Cicero they just clear cut 100's of acres or forest, I was like oh great, building a giant apartment complex, nope, a solar farm.. Odd, I remember 20 years ago when I got into the saw chain industry and all the tree huggers we would have to deal with, now they are all cut those trees down and put up windmills and solar farms..I mean you just can't make this shit up!! They flip flop more than a small mouth bass of the deck of the SS P550..:lol:

Then: Paper bags = bad. Plastic bags = good!

Now: plastic bags = bad, Paper = good!

Its almost as if their message (and their science) changes with their agenda.  “Almost”.

36 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I agree! The alarmists are OK with this. Cut down carbon absorbing trees that produce oxygen and help sustain warming, and provide shelter and a home to thousands of creatures but their OK with that. :crazy:

Never thought I'd see the day where so many have been so easily brainwashed. :sad:

https://www.wind-watch.org/news/2018/01/02/huge-areas-of-forest-destroyed-to-make-way-for-7-wind-farms/

forest.jpg

• Like 1

But but - those trees will grow back, they do that all on their own right??  Mother earth is tough enough to take care of herself.... wait - that's not their narrative.

@BOHICA - nice job on the solar.  My dad dabbled in that years ago, but it wasn't cost effective yet.

Edited by Mag6240

• 3 months later...
  • Gold Member

Wild fire smoke took some production away starting in July. But have made 12.8 MWh of electricity since I fired up the last few days in April.  If Rivian comes through all vehicles in my household will be all electric by mid next year and I can see if I need to add more solar as I have roof space.  Our Tesla should arrive in December.   I will have a total 3 internal combustion cylinders in my life at that point….  Still Sidewalk edger, Stihl blower and a Chinese 4500 watt inverter generator.

47EB61E1-330B-44BD-BD31-43D67F490772.thumb.png.c32960ca8c12725e075d786a493e9be7.png

On 4/29/2021 at 9:26 AM, BOHICA said:

Wonder how much CO2 reduction the Biden voters that post here and the pro Paris Climate accord idiots will have today.  Past 2 days I provided to the USA a CO2 reduction equivalent to 6 mature trees annual CO2 sequestration.

43675F5A-6ABD-4C69-B71C-D920B35BA123.thumb.png.3f299fd5d9ec0bc57c5276753401f177.png

I ordered a battery powered chain saw. let me know when you catch up 

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, snoughnut said:

Wrong again, just not a fan of people who toot their own horn.

Whoa, you've been OUTED!!! You're a, JEALOUS CAT!!  

I'm not the only one that hates you. 

" OWNED " to the maximum max!!!! :owned::owned:

On 5/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, snoughnut said:

Poor Sneaky, you and Bohica should have a contest to see who can pat themselves on the back the hardest. :lmao:

Why are you so jealous of people???  

On 5/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, snoughnut said:

Poor Sneaky, you and Bohica should have a contest to see who can pat themselves on the back the hardest. :lmao:

Wow JEALOUS CAT, you would go nuts if you saw what I made today!

LMMFAO!! 

• Gold Member

Wow…. That was quick.  Could potentially have it in less then a month we ith my delivery window.  Can’t wait until I get my Rivian as next year to have a household free from having to pay like a slave bitch for any energy from large corporations.

56FFC953-7C15-4451-9F4C-73B5D0C5949D.thumb.png.23cc7e5fa25dd00e4421c2a5775ec3b4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold Member

Will add up to 30 miles of range per hour while plugged in in my garage….  Will be nice to fill up for free and always have a full vehicle to use every morning with out going out of the way to fill up with $4 a gallon liquid!

310D2914-23C7-4304-A20D-B99152F68011.thumb.jpeg.d0027e841724912a2cbd3a9cf3a77f8b.jpeg