****official thread for people that walk the walk*****

• Gold Member

First day running with my Roof top solar.  Still have a few hours of production today.

Anybody else practice what they preach here?  I’m not a climate activist and give 2 shit about the climate.  I care about my money and love the fact a sunsubstantial sum will not be going to the government cause of this and I can avoid taxes on fuel and have free electricity

942FC475-D494-4D97-8417-7D7697B41880.thumb.png.9818b1bf2614e2daffa2001f96fba91a.png

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Dieselgeek said:

What was the total install price? What is the ROI in years? What is the lifespan/replacement average? I'm intrigued by them, just can't get the numbers to work in my favor.

DIY.  Call it $26k. 17kish with incentives.  This system produced twice my household needs today (first day generating). Built extra for full EV capacity next year.  My electric bill is around 2k a year and it should be eliminated totally.  So 8ish year payback before free and clear.  If I factor an EV generation for free it will be closer to 6 year payback.  25 year warranty on everything so long past pay back.

12 hours ago, BOHICA said:

First day running with my Roof top solar.  Still have a few hours of production today.

Anybody else practice what they preach here?  I’m not a climate activist and give 2 shit about the climate.  I care about my money and love the fact a sunsubstantial sum will not be going to the government cause of this and I can avoid taxes on fuel and have free electricity

942FC475-D494-4D97-8417-7D7697B41880.thumb.png.9818b1bf2614e2daffa2001f96fba91a.png

Nice "look at me" thread........bravo.

High Five GIF by Back Row Radio

• Haha 2

• Platinum Contributing Member

Just got a letter saying our rates here will jump during peak hours over the summer. Makes looking into solar even more enticing.

What are they going to do when most people have EV's?

535782869_180505445_2784891085155301_7112945955907288837_n(3).jpg.d08d708539ef8e2f85b43529fd3f2357.jpg

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Just got a letter saying our rates here will jump during peak hours over the summer. Makes looking into solar even more enticing.

What are they going to do when most people have EV's?

535782869_180505445_2784891085155301_7112945955907288837_n(3).jpg.d08d708539ef8e2f85b43529fd3f2357.jpg

For me if that was my utility it would do nothing but make my solar payback happen sooner.  2-7 in the summer I think my solar will be putting out huge!  I’ve been making more then I need in kwiggles and that time.

F24032CB-4875-4809-93E6-01C49BD50EA5.thumb.png.2c797e60d8a2460c5599f02c70951d3a.png

Going into my third day of production and making over twice my needs!  Made 185 kwh in 2 days.

DC5F2538-A19E-4B73-BC37-2A58B722C938.thumb.png.6601940d6b4c44b76ad2625a191778c9.png

• Gold Member

Wonder how much CO2 reduction the Biden voters that post here and the pro Paris Climate accord idiots will have today.  Past 2 days I provided to the USA a CO2 reduction equivalent to 6 mature trees annual CO2 sequestration.

43675F5A-6ABD-4C69-B71C-D920B35BA123.thumb.png.3f299fd5d9ec0bc57c5276753401f177.png

Edited by BOHICA

• Platinum Contributing Member

Nice work BOHICA! :bc: 

Would you post up a pic of your set up outside or approximate space used? I'm starting to think about putting some panels in the back 40  :lol: 

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Nice work BOHICA! :bc: 

Would you post up a pic of your set up outside or approximate space used? I'm starting to think about putting some panels in the back 40  :lol: 

48 panels on roof of my burbs postage stamp lot.  On my east and west sloping roof.  Easily zero’d my electric bill out and will fill an EV pickup for free on daily driving needs.  Currently the wife’s PHEV suv is at least 11 kwhs a day of free power which is worth about 18 miles in here vehicle.  Tax free driving!

EC689348-36A7-482C-96C5-45DFB563B67C.thumb.png.d46d95d30042e5372b0c3337e5833eb8.png

Edited by BOHICA
  • Thanks 1

• Gold Member

Made the environment a better place today again!!!  Another 3 trees that aren’t going to have to sequester my CO2 from the atmosphere.  Wife will get home and she will plug in our 400 hp suv and get 11 kwh of free and tax free electricity thus eliminating the use of 1 gallon of premium gas and the taxes that go with that.

wonder if those Biden voters and green new deal proponents eliminated any GHG emissions today?  

Super simple and cheap to do what I did!

A6272C85-C322-4FC4-8D8B-60842552512B.thumb.png.b631106dde1f4f8335ebd222f6d352e4.png

• Gold Member
46 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Made the environment a better place today again!!!  Another 3 trees that aren’t going to have to sequester my CO2 from the atmosphere.  Wife will get home and she will plug in our 400 hp suv and get 11 kwh of free and tax free electricity thus eliminating the use of 1 gallon of premium gas and the taxes that go with that.

wonder if those Biden voters and green new deal proponents eliminated any GHG emissions today?  

Super simple and cheap to do what I did!

A6272C85-C322-4FC4-8D8B-60842552512B.thumb.png.b631106dde1f4f8335ebd222f6d352e4.png

How is it free if it cost you 17k? Pretty neat set up though. Will you be selling your extra back to the utility or will you just bank it.

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

How is it free if it cost you 17k? Pretty neat set up though. Will you be selling your extra back to the utility or will you just bank it.

Utility will bank my extra.  I paid cash for the panels and inverters.  The electricity it produces cost nothing.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1

• Gold Member

@Mainecat

I may be carbon neutral.  I need to produce enough electricity to offset what 908 mature trees consume in a year if I’m an average American.  I’m averaging enough green energy to compensate for 3 additional trees everyday currently for the past 4 days.  Also I’m not average though cause we do have 1 phev and a full EV on order so my household co2 production is probably less then average.  Few year plan is also to replace the PHEV with a full EV.  So my carbon household carbon output is probably less then yours currently.  I will likely expand my green energy generation snd storage in the future as well to compensate for additional EV needs.

you doing anything for the climate?

B1F6A0E9-EAB3-4EF7-8285-C3E1C225C71D.png

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I'm burning a pile of old tires in the backyard, you better add more panels.

LOL!  I need to scrape the exhaust gunk off the sides of my quarter panels on my truck.  I might be able to make a tire with the scrapings!  Then, I'll come over and we'll burn that too!  :lol: 

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

LOL!  I need to scrape the exhaust gunk off the sides of my quarter panels on my truck.  I might be able to make a tire with the scrapings!  Then, I'll come over and we'll burn that too!  :lol: 

I think he's still trying to convince himself it was a good idea to do all that. In my case I'd be dead before I broke even on something like that.  :lol:

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 7:13 AM, snoughnut said:

Nice "look at me" thread........bravo.

High Five GIF by Back Row Radio

Man, what the fuck is it with you and the look at me horseshit?

You are either the most jealous fuck on the planet or the guy who says "Oh fuck, another blow job."

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I think he's still trying to convince himself it was a good idea to do all that. In my case I'd be dead before I broke even on something like that.  :lol:

Hey,  I can  commend it.  I tried to do it too when I built my last home...then I got quotes, did a solid comparison and it just didn't make any financial sense to me at all.  Not even a close comparison.  Hell, I thought I was adding digits accidentally to the "grid free" side it was so far off.

But hey, like I said. I can commend those who undertake it.

• Gold Member
6 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Hey,  I can  commend it.  I tried to do it too when I built my last home...then I got quotes, did a solid comparison and it just didn't make any financial sense to me at all.  Not even a close comparison.  Hell, I thought I was adding digits accidentally to the "grid free" side it was so far off.

But hey, like I said. I can commend those who undertake it.

It doesn’t make financial sense to pay someone to install...

DIY is a no brainer though for those with any financial sense and some electric theory knowledge 

I’ve lightly looked into it for the house. 1600 sq ft with just the wife and I so it would probably make sense there. Not sure it would keep up with the needs of the shop I want to build in my barn though. Plus, I’m. not so sure about banking any extra to the power company. Wonder how long that will work before they start charging you for it. 

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

It doesn’t make financial sense to pay someone to install...

DIY is a no brainer though for those with any financial sense and some electric theory knowledge 

Yeah, that makes sense.  I can run a whole home in electrical but, that was all new stuff to me with a bit more complex learning curve and again, I had a whole damn home to build so, it was best to forgo the “off the grid” option.

• Gold Member
19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yeah, that makes sense.  I can run a whole home in electrical but, that was all new stuff to me with a bit more complex learning curve and again, I had a whole damn home to build so, it was best to forgo the “off the grid” option.

The idea wasn’t to be green for me.  It’s just fun to rub the pro climate change people’s nose in it that don’t take the leap.

it’s a pure and easy financial play that has huge returns.  $17k forever eliminates an electricity bill for me as well as eliminates a bunch of transportation costs.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1