Fishing gear

Blackstar

• Platinum Contributing Member

I'm thinking about doing some fishing this summer. I haven't fished in over 25 years.

I will mostly be fishing the rivers around here for Pike and Smallmouth, either from shore or by canoe.Last reel I owned was a Michell and the pole was an Ugly Stik.

Looking for a recommendation on some versatile rod and reel combos for all round use. Nothing too expensive. Just something to start with until I figure out whether I will take the time or not.

What should I be spending? Brands?

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm thinking about doing some fishing this summer. I haven't fished in over 25 years.

I will mostly be fishing the rivers around here for Pike and Smallmouth, either from shore or by canoe.Last reel I owned was a Michell and the pole was an Ugly Stik.

Looking for a recommendation on some versatile rod and reel combos for all round use. Nothing too expensive. Just something to start with until I figure out whether I will take the time or not.

What should I be spending? Brands?

I still have an ugly stick that i bought in 90/91 with a mitchell 301a on it that my teenage boys still use.

12 hours ago, mach4me said:

I still have an ugly stick that i bought in 90/91 with a mitchell 301a on it that my teenage boys still use.

Yep, 301A is what I had too. Wish I knew what I did with it. I think it got left behind with the first wife.

Edited by Blackstar

13 hours ago, Sksman said:

Most fishing rod and reel combos are fairly inexpensive now compared to a weekend of snowmobiling so you can probably buy a few different to play with.

Can I buy a decent combo for $150-200 or do I need to spend more?

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Can I buy a decent combo for $150-200 or do I need to spend more?

For my fishing that is likely enough for a very high quality.  

I bought a few over the years in Northern Ontario that seemed decent for under the $150 mark I think.  

• Like 1

Hey Tim, I know things are closed down right now but if you can give Natural sports a call they can set you up with what you need. I just got back into fishing last year after about 25-30 years and these guys help me out alot. You most likely will need a medium to heavy rod for bass and pike. Not sure on the reel but they will know. Things have changed alot over the years as far stuff on the market. watch marketplace too. Hope this helps and maybe see you on the river sometime. 

On 4/27/2021 at 2:45 PM, snowbear said:

Hey Tim, I know things are closed down right now but if you can give Natural sports a call they can set you up with what you need. I just got back into fishing last year after about 25-30 years and these guys help me out alot. You most likely will need a medium to heavy rod for bass and pike. Not sure on the reel but they will know. Things have changed alot over the years as far stuff on the market. watch marketplace too. Hope this helps and maybe see you on the river sometime. 

Thanks Jim, I've been looking online at CT, Sail and Natural Sports. My buddy told me to forget about Natural because they are too pricey but they aren't that bad and on a couple things they were cheaper so I may end up there. They are 5 minutes from my house so I'll probably just buy through their online store and curbside pick up with things the way they are.

We always fished the river from Inverhaugh down to Bridgeport floating canoes. And last spring my ex father-in-law gave me back my canoe that he's had stored in his barn for 25 years, My dad bought it in the late 70's.

Guess I'm trying to go back in time.   lol

I have several Ugly Sticks. Medium action, light and an Ultra Light as well. I also like the Shimano rear drag reels. They are super easy to adjust the drag when you are fighting a fish. I usually use my Ultra Light's when fishing for bass or walleye. They make it a bit of a challenge once in a while to set the hook but you fee like you caught a whale each time you get one!!   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got bored the other day and saw a Facebook ad for a rod and reel. Picked it up for $60. Brand new, never used. He said he got it as a gift from his brother. He had several rods still with the tags and reels were still in the boxes. Hmmmmm?  probably fell off a truck.

Then I bought some 8 lbs test and a whack of lures on Amazon.

Deukio reel with a Diawa rod 7’ medium action. Nothing great but it gets me started.

7BEAC93F-2677-4410-A47F-8D7EAB6A043B.thumb.jpeg.a10aadce9af8a2963e05d59a7a8e12cb.jpeg

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2