Shop compressed air

Quincy makes a nice piece for sure. 

I have a small HF oiled compressor that would give some oil less compressors a run for their money it’s so loud. I keep it in the pole barn for airing up tires and such. 

17 hours ago, jdels said:

Pex for me.  Been 5 years with no issues.  

Where are you located? Do you have moisture issues? 
that is my biggest fear about Pex.  

Also, what line pressure are you running? 

22 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

They are deafening.  I have a similar compressor but a Craftsman.

This is the one I'm looking at for my shop and then retire the Craftsman to my garage.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

That looks like a really nice compressor.  A stand up would have worked a lot better in my shop but beggars can't be choosers lol

12 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Where are you located? Do you have moisture issues? 
that is my biggest fear about Pex.  

Also, what line pressure are you running? 

Southern most tip of the UP.  I have an older 30 gallon Craftsman compressor with a second 30 gallon tank.  All lines are pitched towards tanks and I blow them off monthly.  No moisture issues.  Shop is air conditioned in summer and I'm just a one man blowhard wrenching on my own shit.  Air is always on at a max pressure of about 135psi.  

On 4/26/2021 at 9:10 PM, XCR1250 said:

I have 2, main one is a Porter Cable 2 Stage, 80 gallon vertical tank, 7.5 hp, 175 psi.

Nice!  

Is your shop Plumbed? 

9 hours ago, jdels said:

Ok, my interrogation is almost over :) I'm just really interested because Pex has been my go to but only experience I have with it are shops with refrigerated air dryers.
What do you run for filters? 

3 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Nice!  

Is your shop Plumbed? 

Ok, my interrogation is almost over :) I'm just really interested because Pex has been my go to but only experience I have with it are shops with refrigerated air dryers.

Yes, it's plumbed.

6 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Nice!  

Is your shop Plumbed? 

I'm only running air tools and blowguns, I count on the inlet filter on the compressor.  Shop is plumbed with 5 outlets and an auxiliary tank.  I'd guess maybe 80 feet total. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

I assume with that kind if rigging you do more than your own work. 

What did you use piping wise? 

1/2" black pipe.

Ran 3 shops in 3 locations for 51 years, retired now.

I have my garage plumbed with 3/4 pex crip style . I don't have a really big  compressor old school sears with the motor that drives a belt that drives the pump prob a 20ish gal tank ? 

They say you should not use pex but I bullshit pex will hold over 600psi . That and I had a bunch of fittings and pipe . I honestly almost never use air any more . 

• Thanks 1

I started my piping on Saturday only got about 30Ft of 3/4 black pipe. 
I'm just getting the pre threaded stuff from home depot. For the amount I m putting in it was more expensive for the raw material + threading tool than to just get it from home depot. 
I will say some of the fittings are JUNK. A ball valve, 3/4 to 3/8 fitting and end cap, that will just not stop leaking. I really hope they take them back.  I have some gas line Teflon tape I'm gonna try first. Should have used it instead of the cheap stuff.. but I was trying to save it for times I might actually need tape that is chemically resistant 

For now it will just be two drop downs on one wall. Once I find a cheap 1/2npt or larger filter/regulator Ill start working on my pex stuff. 
I want to drop the pex line down to 100-120 PSI, I am running the black up to 152 

• Like 1