Shop compressed air

Just curious what everyone is running for air in their shop?

I am rigging up an older dual stage IR type 30 model 242, 5Hp. Pushing 17CFM back in 1973..  doing the math the tank comes to about 70gal 

Mostly wondering what guys are doing for pluming,  I am thinking hard about just doing old 3/4 sch. 40 black pipe. I am nervous about rust... Seems everything I read about the subject is trying to sell the new aluminum quick connect systems.

Here is a picture of the old beast. It was in a undercoating business, pretty dirty. Started cleaning it and gave up.. looks better than in this photo though. 
1510307590_YKVI70631.thumb.JPG.7b560dc7da57ac496f635fcf58c51809.JPG

Ill take any advice I can get. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

I am rigging up an older dual stage IR type 30 model 242, 5Hp. Pushing 17CFM back in 1973..  doing the math the tank comes to about 70gal 

Mostly wondering what guys are doing for pluming,  I am thinking hard about just doing old 3/4 sch. 40 black pipe. I am nervous about rust... Seems everything I read about the subject is trying to sell the new aluminum quick connect systems.

Here is a picture of the old beast. It was in a undercoating business, pretty dirty. Started cleaning it and gave up.. looks better than in this photo though. 

We got black pipe at work no real rust issues to speak of and it’s probably close to 40yrs old. We have some nice filtration too which I’d recommend at least a cheapo unit at the very least. Slope the pipe to a drain and place your lines in the right spots I’d think it be plenty fine for a lifetime.

I got a Tractor supply special 60gal porta cable at home. If I remember right it’s 11cfm @90psi it works mint for most everything but does lack for big paint jobs or if your grinding/sanding a shit ton.

15 minutes ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

I'm using an oil less 26 gallon 

do you find that thing loud? I borrowed my father and laws (looks the same but craftsman) Im pretty sure its louder than the screw compressor at work lol.

I have had 20gal campbell hausfeld 1 hp single stage for years (really my old mans, brought to my house and never left)... its getting to a point when I'm using it I can smell it getting hot on the other side of the shop. 

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

We got black pipe at work no real rust issues to speak of and it’s probably close to 40yrs old. We have some nice filtration too which I’d recommend at least a cheapo unit at the very least. Slope the pipe to a drain and place your lines in the right spots I’d think it be plenty fine for a lifetime.

I got a Tractor supply special 60gal porta cable at home. If I remember right it’s 11cfm @90psi it works mint for most everything but does lack for big paint jobs or if your grinding/sanding a shit ton.

I have a currently a 5 micron filter/water trap mounted about 1ft off the tank outlet with black pipe. I am not sure if that is too close, I read in one place you can have them to close.  I also plan on having small filters at my other two outlets, with ball valves on the drop lags.  

I have been on the compressor hunt for a while, and I was about to jump on the chepo 60gal from princess auto(probably same compressor different name) but this came along.. I hope it at least makes 11CFM still 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cwhite138 said:

do you find that thing loud? I borrowed my father and laws (looks the same but craftsman) Im pretty sure its louder than the screw compressor at work lol.

I have had 20gal campbell hausfeld 1 hp single stage for years (really my old mans, brought to my house and never left)... its getting to a point when I'm using it I can smell it getting hot on the other side of the shop. 

I have a currently a 5 micron filter/water trap mounted about 1ft off the tank outlet with black pipe. I am not sure if that is too close, I read in one place you can have them to close.  I also plan on having small filters at my other two outlets, with ball valves on the drop lags.  

I have been on the compressor hunt for a while, and I was about to jump on the chepo 60gal from princess auto(probably same compressor different name) but this came along.. I hope it at least makes 11CFM still 

Yeah. Its fairly loud when its building.  But the most i use it for is atv/ sled repair . Air ratchet and small stuff so it doesn't come on often

I have 2005 or so sanborn cheapy compressor.  I have it in the back part of my split garage then the line I have running to the main work area I just used an old air hose and the connect it to a 50' flexilla reel.  It works fine, I wouldn't over think this stuff it's not rocket science.  This compressor runs everything I need except die grinders and cut off wheels it can't keep up, you can use them still but you have to let it catch up periodically.  I use air alot too.  I'm surprised that compressor still works I have it in the uninsulated side of garage so it runs in very cold temps all winter long.

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Cwhite138 said:

Sounds like you got a good plan of attack. I got no complaints with my compressor I mean for (599 or 699 I don’t remember) it has worked pretty good. I don’t have a garage at my new place so I just leave it in the basement and run a hose out the door when I’m screwing around with something. I just got 3 of those orange in-line bulb filters in a row right off the compressor not ideal but it keeps most the crap out of the tools. Once I get a garage built I’ll be running black pipe like your doing.

14 hours ago, mnstang said:

I have 2005 or so sanborn cheapy compressor.  I have it in the back part of my split garage then the line I have running to the main work area I just used an old air hose and the connect it to a 50' flexilla reel.  It works fine, I wouldn't over think this stuff it's not rocket science.  This compressor runs everything I need except die grinders and cut off wheels it can't keep up, you can use them still but you have to let it catch up periodically.  I use air alot too.  I'm surprised that compressor still works I have it in the uninsulated side of garage so it runs in very cold temps all winter long.

You are probably right, just get it done and don't stew over it.. I'm not running precise instruments. Our air system at work doesn't follow any of the best practice guides and works.  The worst part is im saving up for the pipe and fittings, I have too long to think about it. 

The one I was looking at princess auto was a sanborn. They seem like a very good value. 

14 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Sounds like you got a good plan of attack. I got no complaints with my compressor I mean for (599 or 699 I don’t remember) it has worked pretty good. I don’t have a garage at my new place so I just leave it in the basement and run a hose out the door when I’m screwing around with something. I just got 3 of those orange in-line bulb filters in a row right off the compressor not ideal but it keeps most the crap out of the tools. Once I get a garage built I’ll be running black pipe like your doing.

well, my plan seems to change about everyday or two but I talk a good talk hahaha

13 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Use some air compressor we got for buying a new John Deere tractor.  For the amount I use it, I wish it was about 2 feet shorter so it could permanently have a home under my workbench.  

Can you remove the compressor from the tank to package it another way?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

My compressor has mostly been replaced by batteries.  Obviously not for spraying paint and such, but most tasks.

I’m not quite ready to go airless yet but I’ve not replaced my big compressor.  Found that a dual tank dewalt with a quick recovery rate works great.  Along with a cheaply pancake for little shit.

19 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Black pipe seems to be the most popular but, I’d do aluminum if I was running a big shop.  Why not just get a bunch of cheap air lines and run them around the garage with quick connects?  Cheap and effective.

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I’m not quite ready to go airless yet but I’ve not replaced my big compressor.  Found that a dual tank dewalt with a quick recovery rate works great.  Along with a cheaply pancake for little shit.

Black pipe seems to be the most popular but, I’d do aluminum if I was running a big shop.  Why not just get a bunch of cheap air lines and run them around the garage with quick connects?  Cheap and effective.

My boss got us overhead reels last year after osha bitched about lines on the floors. The guy that installed them ran air hose to fittings on the black pipe. It seems to work good so far. I always thought it was the lazy way out for the guy because he didn’t want to run the pipe like the rest of the shop but whatever works I guess.

E64DBE67-8ED3-4DCF-9511-AF6F05A29B00.jpeg

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

My boss got us overhead reels last year after osha bitched about lines on the floors. The guy that installed them ran air hose to fittings on the black pipe. It seems to work good so far. I always thought it was the lazy way out for the guy because he didn’t want to run the pipe like the rest of the shop but whatever works I guess.

E64DBE67-8ED3-4DCF-9511-AF6F05A29B00.jpeg

I ran a line up in the rafters to a crank reel that held 100’.  Nothing fancy and worked like a charm for me.  Nice being able to quickly reel that line up and out of the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

My compressor has mostly been replaced by batteries.  Obviously not for spraying paint and such, but most tasks.

Some times you need those UGGA DUGGAS 
image.png.67d4d8dedee68e6e4e0de21f0d203ab8.png

I still like air for working on rusty shit. I don't know if they will ever be able to replace the die grinder and small right angle drill. we will see.

The battery stuff has come along way though.

58 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I would love to do aluminum, and really is the best option, But shit its expensive! 

Ill drag my rubber line around be for taking the time to screw it to the wall. Also from what I read metal will help condense the moisture and being straight it will drain better. This shop is a poll barn with open rafters I need all the help I can get to keep moisture down. Or am I just falling for some marketing literature lol

I love the idea of PEX pipe,  I know two machine shops running it for their compressed air pluming.. but they also have expensive dryers and climate controlled floor. 

I don't know if keeping the line straight helps as much as the stuff I read says.. kind of my dilemma and why I'm looking to see what every one else is doing.

5 hours ago, Deephaven said:

The problem with the battery stuff is they go bad if you don’t use them enough. I have been through enough cordless stuff to pay for a compressor 

• Like 1

That is why instead of buying real tools I bought shitty Ridgid ones.  Lifetime battery replacement.  Considering my use it has been genius.  Have two sets so that as one is being replaced I can use the other.  Shitty, but the cheapest way I found to ensure I have the right tool when I need it.

12 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I ran a line up in the rafters to a crank reel that held 100’.  Nothing fancy and worked like a charm for me.  Nice being able to quickly reel that line up and out of the way.

I only have a 60ft. I just wrap i up on a giant ass hook from the rafter near compressor 

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

That is why instead of buying real tools I bought shitty Ridgid ones.  Lifetime battery replacement.  Considering my use it has been genius.  Have two sets so that as one is being replaced I can use the other.  Shitty, but the cheapest way I found to ensure I have the right tool when I need it.

I bought a sweet Milwaukee Hamer drill in 05. 2 years later batteries refused to charge anymore. And at 100.00 a pop I decided not to replace so I bought a Dewalt.  Been good ever since. In 2010 I did eventually replace the batteries and I'm glad. The Milwaukee has a shitload more power for big jobs. Dewalt wouldn't do much with lag bolts but the Milwaukee made short work of them 

13 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I think the RIgid line has come a long way over the years.  I have a few of their tools.  What I don't like is they are ergonomically shitty.  Like they were designed by 6 year olds with lego blocks.  It's kinda weird.

I just have a generic 220v, 4ish hp, 60 gallon stand up compressor. Works all of my air tools just fine. I’m use to bigger compressors at work but whatever. Haven’t done any plumbing because I plan to build an actual shop in my pole barn and then all of my tools, etc will be out there. 

I have plenty of cordless and always had the best luck with Makita and Milwaukee. 

On 4/20/2021 at 2:12 PM, Cwhite138 said:

My friend has a body shop a little bigger compressor than yours and his piping is schedule 40 pvc with pressure fittings, been there 25 years or so no issues.

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I think the RIgid line has come a long way over the years.  I have a few of their tools.  What I don't like is they are ergonomically shitty.  Like they were designed by 6 year olds with lego blocks.  It's kinda weird.

Yep.  They are shit...but I am a homeowner and don't use them "that" often.  They have ridiculously good sales periodically however and I am on my 3rd set of batteries in 15 years.  Amusingly I think I paid less for both large tool sets than the cost of batteries.  For that they are brilliant.  The rest is a monster meh.

On 4/20/2021 at 3:48 PM, Cwhite138 said:

They are deafening.  I have a similar compressor but a Craftsman.

This is the one I'm looking at for my shop and then retire the Craftsman to my garage.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor — 5 HP, 230  Volt, 1 Phase, 60-Gallon

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

They are deafening.  I have a similar compressor but a Craftsman.

This is the one I'm looking at for my shop and then retire the Craftsman to my garage.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

Quincy QT-54 Splash Lubricated Reciprocating Air Compressor — 5 HP, 230  Volt, 1 Phase, 60-Gallon

My buddy has a Quincy similar to that one. Nice compressor and definitely much more quiet than a oil less one.