Snowmobile depression survival thread

On 5/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, Doug said:

In 1989 we were still reading plugs and piston wash for what to change jetting to and once you got through your run you were pulling the chock and blipping the throttle to get fuel in the cool things down.

computer.jpg

The bold sure brings back memories

In 1981 Yamaha did a complete redesign of the SRX. Sharp looking sled with swing down side panels. Forty plus years later we have removable side panels. Respectable performance but was finicky to tune still using butterfly carbs.

SRX 1.jpg

srx 2.jpg

srx 3.jpg

srx 4.jpg

srx 5.jpg

On 4/19/2021 at 6:15 PM, Doug said:

Unusual grooming request.  Our club president has some ties with EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) grounds manager.  EAA has a small annual winter fly in that there had been some issues in the past on the landing strip.  2 years ago we got asked to come over and groom the landing strip for the event.  

87082090_2711490182237661_4518639898466451456_n.jpg

images.jpg

One of my old suppliers were one of the pioneers in skis for air planes 

On 5/18/2021 at 6:34 PM, Doug said:

In 1981 Yamaha did a complete redesign of the SRX. Sharp looking sled with swing down side panels. Forty plus years later we have removable side panels. Respectable performance but was finicky to tune still using butterfly carbs.

SRX 1.jpg

srx 2.jpg

srx 3.jpg

srx 4.jpg

srx 5.jpg

What year was it that the SRX never was ? they pulled them back from dealers, and gave consumers a discounted deal on a SRV. then in 83 the Vmax came out and took the SRX's place. 

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

What year was it that the SRX never was ? they pulled them back from dealers, and gave consumers a discounted deal on a SRV. then in 83 the Vmax came out and took the SRX's place. 

I think that was the 82's

6 hours ago, fortune46x said:

1982 SRX 500.  Some actually got sold with the 500, some had the motor pulled and sold as a roller others went back complete.

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Edited by Doug

16 hours ago, Doug said:

1982 SRX 500.  Some actually got sold with the 500, some had the motor pulled and sold as a roller others went back complete.

download.jpeg-1.jpg

one of our guys in our shop worked at a yamaha dealer and got the roller with no engine , then put the vmax 540 in it in 83 and later sold it (regretting it)

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

one of our guys in our shop worked at a yamaha dealer and got the roller with no engine , then put the vmax 540 in it in 83 and later sold it (regretting it)

3 guys I work with at my real job used to own the local Yamaha dealership and I help out at night.  One SRX 500 had the motor pulled and sold as a roller the other one went back complete.  Never know what happened to the roller after the guy picked it up.  They were a nice looking sleds.

After the 1981 redesign of the 1982 Yamaha SRX was back with improvements in the motor with a 500CC and clutching...maybe. It was found to be even more finicky with rumored crank problems and exploding clutches. The 1982 SR-V had a one year only Yamaha design clutch. Yamaha made the decision to have the sleds returned that were already shipped out to dealers. Some sleds actually were sold to customers and are very rare, others had the motor pulled and were sold as a rolling chassis the rest were returned and destroyed.

1982 SRX1.jpg

1982 SRX2.jpg

1982 SRX 3.jpg

1982 SRX 4.jpg

• Like 1

I'm still finding and buying lots of cool snowmobile parts.  Recent findings are nos running board edge rail grips, a cool green early 90"s cat accessory catalog snow flap, very cool 90's cat jacket and very cool 90's era huge cat gear bag.  I also got a new cat jacket.  Gear bag showed up over the weekend and I think this is the first time since the fall that I'm not waiting on some snowmobile parts to show up, I'll have plenty of garage time come December and January

9 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I'm still finding and buying lots of cool snowmobile parts.  Recent findings are nos running board edge rail grips, a cool green early 90"s cat accessory catalog snow flap, very cool 90's cat jacket and very cool 90's era huge cat gear bag.  I also got a new cat jacket.  Gear bag showed up over the weekend and I think this is the first time since the fall that I'm not waiting on some snowmobile parts to show up, I'll have plenty of garage time come December and January

I honestly haven’t even looked at anything snowmobile related. I almost put all my stuff up for sale 2 weeks ago but I was to lazy to go outside and take a picture 

19 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I honestly haven’t even looked at anything snowmobile related. I almost put all my stuff up for sale 2 weeks ago but I was to lazy to go outside and take a picture 

Getting back into the older sleds reignited my snowmobile hobby.

22 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

my brother sent me an ad for a vmax 4 and a SRX 340 (two sleds I want in my collection) and I am trying to hold off but the urge is getting to be a bit much

Not so much the Max-4 but the SRX 340 yes.  One year only I believe 1976.  There was one years ago at radar runs that gave me fits.

14 hours ago, mnstang said:

Once you start getting into the vintage sleds it a lot of fun hunting for sleds and parts.  I had 13 sleds awhile back and was lucky enough that a buddy of mine his dad owned a warehouse and I had free storage.  He sold the warehouse so now I have 6 included my trail sleds.  Also do some poking around at the older dealerships.  Two that I have close tights to I bought all their old inventory parts 95 and older at different times.  Kept what I wanted and sold what I didn't want.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mnstang said:

I honestly had more fun riding that old jag while my rr was down the entire season. I did not miss my rr one bit. I have been toying with the idea of getting an old sled to ride as I do get more enjoyment out of them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doug said:

Not so much the Max-4 but the SRX 340 yes.  One year only I believe 1976.  There was one years ago at radar runs that gave me fits.

it was the last sled my dad Raced, and ironically the first sled I rode on as a pipsqueek , always wanted to ride it myself but dad told me know and sold it before I was old enough to ride it. I ironically have two sets of handlebars for it sitting in my shop

3 hours ago, fortune46x said:

it was the last sled my dad Raced, and ironically the first sled I rode on as a pipsqueek , always wanted to ride it myself but dad told me know and sold it before I was old enough to ride it. I ironically have two sets of handlebars for it sitting in my shop

Time to by the rest of the sled 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I honestly had more fun riding that old jag while my rr was down the entire season. I did not miss my rr one bit. I have been toying with the idea of getting an old sled to ride as I do get more enjoyment out of them 

Had my 1985 Indy 600 SE home couple years ago and it was a nice Sunday knowing my buddy just got done grooming our trails so figured I take it for a ride since it been a while.  By chance meet some guys i ride with and ended up putting on 180+ miles.  I didn't want to even see that sled for a while. 20-30  miles fun any more not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Had my 1985 Indy 600 SE home couple years ago and it was a nice Sunday knowing my buddy just got done grooming our trails so figured I take it for a ride since it been a while.  By chance meet some guys i ride with and ended up putting on 180+ miles.  I didn't want to even see that sled for a while. 20-30  miles fun any more not. 

I don’t ride it on the actual trail system. I putt putt through the woods with it. It’s perfect for that 

7 hours ago, Not greg b said:

I love putting around on this.

Snapchat-100707460.jpg

13 hours ago, Not greg b said:

Time to by the rest of the sled 

we will see what he wants , its in PA so I may have a road trip ahead of me unless I can find a decent shipping price for it that wont be in something that will beat it to death. 

• 4 weeks later...