What was the first sled you purchased

92 Indy 500 SKS - As @Bontz said, I was mooching off the old man until that one.  My kids I used to have are doing the same to me!  But I don't mind, I enjoy spending time with them.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

I kinda mooched off my dad with his Cats (and a John Deere Trailfire) as a kid/teenager, but my first actual sled that I bought on my own was a 2000 ZR500 

Similar, dad paid most of the purchase price and I paid for maintenance, repairs and upgrades.

First sled I bought once I was out of the nest was a year old 97 ZR580efi.  Rode it for two seasons and sold it for what I paid for it.  Then didn't have a sled or ride again until 2018.  Based on my 97, Cat was my first choice, narrowly edging out a Pro Ride Indy SP.

I was really fortunate (well, honestly I was spoiled) back in the 80's and early 90's because my uncle always had two sleds ... a current year Cat and a previous year Cat.  So when we'd go up to the cabin he'd bring both and I'd get to ride one of them.  Being 12, 13, 14, 15 years old and riding that new stuff was absolutely addicting.  I remember going from our John Deere to my uncle's '86 Cougar and thought I was the freaking king of the world.  A couple years later, I was on a 650 Wildcat (well, my uncle was .. but he let me ride it quite a bit one weekend).  Those sleds transitioned to the EXT's and ZR's of the 90's and then I kind of missed out while I was in college.  My dad started buying the 1-year old sled my uncle would typically trade in so it was nice to have something on the rare occasion I could ride during college.  When I got out of school and settled in with my wife, that's when I pulled the trigger on the ZR.  And so the sickness began .... LOL

I think I paid something like $5500 for that ZR and maybe around $8K for my Firecat?  Hard to believe it's now basically 2x the price .... but addiction has a price, I guess!