Lean Manufacturing

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Yep and why my business has stayed so successful.  HR is all that more important to smaller operations.   Got to have people who can be flexible, multi-talented and take initiative on their own without being micromanaged.     

:bc:

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

It works great until as mentioned before you run into a covid situation - then it brings your manufacturing to a screeching halt and your backorders come 10 fold. 

This is also where a good HR operation can shine...it can identify people that are truly a "resource" while also identifying those needing replacing in the near future.  Clinics via SHRM are already ramping up for addressing the proper "nixing" of these employees during these trying "covid times'.

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

It works great until as mentioned before you run into a covid situation - then it brings your manufacturing to a screeching halt and your backorders come 10 fold. 

And everyone wants to move things up because they were being overly cautious with so much being shut down.   We have one customer placing orders with due dates already past due.  :lol:  

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

Lean can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be. ISO is the same.

Yep neither should be a one size fits all.   ISO in order to get registered might be a bit more by the book to a certain extent.   Depends on the auditor.   

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Yep neither should be a one size fits all.   ISO in order to get registered might be a bit more by the book to a certain extent.   Depends on the auditor.   

ISO is a much more stringent management baseline.  Simply put, lean is process, ISO is process management.  (for those reading this that don't know).  THey can work really well together but, it's definitely next level operations for a more educated/dedicated workforce.

I'm not commenting on MC's post...it's clear he doesn't know much at all about any of this.

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

ISO is a much more stringent management baseline.  Simply put, lean is process, ISO is process management.  (for those reading this that don't know).  THey can work really well together but, it's definitely next level operations for a more educated/dedicated workforce.

I'm not commenting on MC's post...it's clear he doesn't know much at all about any of this.

Agreed. 

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Once you understand ISO it can be very simplified even using flow charts. The auditor is only concerned you do as you say and have forms you do so also doing your corrective and preventive actions according to your Quality Manual docs.

Edited by Mainecat

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Once you understand ISO it can be very simplified even using flow charts. The auditor is only concerned you do as you say and have forms you do so also doing your corrective and preventive actions according to your Quality Manual docs.

:lol: 

16 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I understand ISO.   We are certified/registered.  

54 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

What would I know. I just wrote the quality manual and all the procedures for our ISO program, oversaw its training as well as lean programs for our 65 production employees. I was audited once a year and re certified 4 times by TUV?

If you only knew.....

10 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

What would I know. I just wrote the quality manual and all the procedures for our ISO program, oversaw its training as well as lean programs for our 65 production employees. I was audited once a year and re certified 4 times by TUV?

If you only knew.....

That's normally a good job for a secretary.  :lol:

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's normally a good job for a secretary.  :lol:

No it’s not. You would have to fully understand our production process and who the fuck has secretaries anymore?

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

No it’s not. You would have to fully understand our production process and who the fuck has secretaries anymore?

That's what I call busy body work that any trained monkey can do.

Were you the office manager?:lol:

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's what I call busy body work that any trained monkey can do.

Were you the office manager?:lol:

Obviously being clueless is your specialty.

Edited by Mainecat

2 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Potentially interesting thread that went to shit. Does lean mfg address assholes? 

Oh yes...because that is what you are here for......interesting reading.  :lmao:

Now, on the second, it depends....if you mean trying to cull them out from conversations in which people know what they are talking about?  Then yes.

3 hours ago, Mainecat said:

If you only knew.....

Oh, I know.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Oh yes...because that is what you are here for......interesting reading.  :lmao:

Now, on the second, it depends....if you mean trying to cull them out from conversations in which people know what they are talking about?  Then yes.

Oh, I know.

Manufacturing is for the most part like watching paint dry to me. But like garbage collection, it’s cool to watch the arm grab the can. 

4 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Manufacturing is for the most part like watching paint dry to me. But like garbage collection, it’s cool to watch the arm grab the can. 

Now now you just insulted the resident house painter.  Much better looking at ink blotches.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Lean Six Sigma black belt.:lol:

Yeah, but can you do a good polka?:lmao:

5 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

I loved touring the manu plants and did so every chance I was given that automated shit is unreal and the people charged with keeping them running were pretty fucking amazing themselves.

Anyone else having metal raw stock supply issues?  Some of the superalloys and specialty metals we use are months out.  Can't get material certs and have run in to heat lot issues many times when we are getting some of the stuff from new vendors.

We have one of our larger suppliers shut down for the next month, that'll be awesome.

My personal favorite is when we get shit parts from a supplier and have to send them out our model shop or another location's machine shop to be made useful.  Of course they are so late and we are so desperate for the parts, we just suck it up.

49 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Anyone else having metal raw stock supply issues?  Some of the superalloys and specialty metals we use are months out.  Can't get material certs and have run in to heat lot issues many times when we are getting some of the stuff from new vendors.

We have one of our larger suppliers shut down for the next month, that'll be awesome.

My personal favorite is when we get shit parts from a supplier and have to send them out our model shop or another location's machine shop to be made useful.  Of course they are so late and we are so desperate for the parts, we just suck it up.

Yes, for us it's brass. We are in the fishing tackle business (spoons, spinner blades). My father in law works for Fastenal, at his warehouse they strictly deal with a manufacturer of docks,lifts and trailers and they are having trouble with aluminum.