the brand I'd like to see come back from the dead the most is...

the brand I'd like to see come back from the dead the most is...  

22 members have voted

1. 1. the brand I'd like to see come back from the dead the most is...

• Yamaha
    • John Deere
    • Rupp
    • Scorpion
    • Manta
    • Moto-Ski
    • Mercury
    • Massey Ferguson
    • Evinrude
    • Kawasaki
    • Sno-Jet
    • Raider/Manta
    • Bolens
    • SkiRoule
    • Arctic Cat

• Crnr2Crnr changed the title to the brand I'd like to see come back from the dead the most is...

Well, AC isn't dead (yet) so, this poll is suspect but, I played along anyway.  I chose Kawi, mainly because they are the most likely to actually get back in based on the list.  They are still in the motorsports arena and make a solid product.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Mercury would be my pick.  They finally had a top performance sled when they got out of it.  A couple not mentioned would be Alouette.  They had the first twin track back in 1970's and also independent suspension. And Speedway, they were short lived but had some outside the box thinking in their sled designs

Edited by Doug
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Harley Davidson since 4 strokes are a thing now. I can get me some screaming eagle pipes, a loud pipes saves lives patch on my jacket, and leak oil at trail stops. 

Taking a break during riding one day this winter, a beautiful Harley Davidson sled drove by just leaving from the parking lot in sight. I said to the guy riding eith that day, "Wow, great looking sled ! I can't believe we just saw one drive by !"

When we took of from the break, there it was, broken down already. Well. that didn't last long. Doh !!!!

24 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Harley Davidson since 4 strokes are a thing now. I can get me some screaming eagle pipes, a loud pipes saves lives patch on my jacket, and leak oil at trail stops. 

And a trail of nuts and bolts rattled loose to follow back home.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Fast actually made a Blade with a Harely engine.

engine_in.jpg

8 hours ago, Doug said:

Mercury would be my pick.  They finally had a top performance sled when they got out of it.  A couple not mentioned would be Alouette.  They had the first twin track back in 1970's and also independent suspension. And Speedway, they were short lived but had some outside the box thinking in their sled designs

With Mercury's knowledge and track record of building performance 2 and 4 strokes, it's a shame they got out of the snowmobiz' in the first place.  Can't imagine what they could come up with today.

11 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Well, AC isn't dead (yet) so, this poll is suspect but, I played along anyway.  I chose Kawi, mainly because they are the most likely to actually get back in based on the list.  They are still in the motorsports arena and make a solid product.

image.jpeg

yet :thumbsup:

Kawasaki powered plenty of A/C sleds long before Zuke did.  

and since I post the link once a year... the amazing story and a great read about the Sharks

Intro https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/

P1 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/the-sharks-in-the-day.php

P2 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/kawasaki-in-shakopee.php

P3 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/Kawasaki-burial-grounds.php

P4 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/four-feet-of-clay.php

P5 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/shark-details.php

P6 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/fishing-in-grand-rapids.php

P7 https://vintagesleds.com/library/features/shark-hunting/post-mortem.php

11 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

With Mercury's knowledge and track record of building performance 2 and 4 strokes, it's a shame they got out of the snowmobiz' in the first place.  Can't imagine what they could come up with today.

yet :thumbsup:

Kawasaki powered plenty of A/C sleds long before Zuke did.  

LOL.....My parents had a set of Mercs.  I was just a little tot.....barely able to skate back then.  And yes...Kawi is the real choice on your list.  They could jump in quickly and make a HUGE splash.  They know powersports...still.

Me on my old mans Merc 440.

IMG_0613.JPG

50 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

LOL.....My parents had a set of Mercs.  I was just a little tot.....barely able to skate back then.  And yes...Kawi is the real choice on your list.  They could jump in quickly and make a HUGE splash.  They know powersports...still.

Me on my old mans Merc 440.

IMG_0613.JPG

"Don't eat yellow snow!"

22 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Tough choice between Kawi and Deere but I picked Deere.

Can't have that as JD makes you take everything in for them to work on.  Can't work on JD yourself anymore, they sealed their own fate with that IMO.  Fuck John Deere.

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

"Don't eat yellow snow!"

And my dad just thought it was funny as hell.  And that, my friends, is why my sense of humor is what it is.  :lol: 

Case in point:  My dad and uncle got a bright idea one night and made a mixture of that slime toy shit and some cereal and put it next to my pillow when I was like 8-9..then, pretended like I made that vomit and I had to go to the emergency room immediately after waking up.  I mean....  :lmao:

1 hour ago, Tommcat said:

yamaha should have been there in place of cat. at least cat still makes sleds.

i picked kawi because i did like their stuff back in the day, and they could legitimately make it happen today

It seemed like an easy, realistic pick to me too.  I mean, with the snap of their fingers, they can jump in bigly.

Agree, Yamaha is missing and should be there.  They power cat's most competitive product and know how to build modern two strokes.  They just don't know how to build a competitive sled chassis to save their ass.  They also have a track record of doing some really stupid shit in the SxS market. 

The company lacks direction and focus but has the foundation for a legitimate comeback.  The other's on the list really don't have a chance so that should be an option in the poll.

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Can't have that as JD makes you take everything in for them to work on.  Can't work on JD yourself anymore, they sealed their own fate with that IMO.  Fuck John Deere.

I love my old 420 tractor. I know nothing about new Deere stuff so I’ll take your word for it.

• Gold Member
8 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

Interesting, they must have learned that from the auto industry. Half the crap I work on has something on it that’s a dealer only thing from calibrating blind spot monitors, distance sensors everything is like than now. That’ll definitely piss a lot of people off.

Kawasaki- always had a great performing sled in their day. Reliable engines and chassis, but shitty clutching. 

I voted for Evinrude. I'm still pissed that BRP killed Evinrude last year. And for that reason alone, I ordered a new Polaris over a new Ski-Doo. BRP mismanaged that brand, and could have expanded it back when they bought it, but chose to only focus on e-tec technology even though the market was clearly moving to 4 stroke outboards.  BRP owns Evinrude and has the resources and finances to bring that iconic name back- even as a sled. Evinrude has more name recognition than Lynx. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jdsky said:

Agree, Yamaha is missing and should be there.  They power cat's most competitive product and know how to build modern two strokes.  They just don't know how to build a competitive sled chassis to save their ass.  They also have a track record of doing some really stupid shit in the SxS market. 

The company lacks direction and focus but has the foundation for a legitimate comeback.  The other's on the list really don't have a chance so that should be an option in the poll.

Yamaha had some home runs with the early and last SRX's, Phazer, V-Max but they sure stuck out also.  81 SRX, 87 Exciter and the decision to go strictly heavy 4 strokes.