Post your new sleds.....or any for that matter...

Poncho

4 hours ago, ZRSledhead said:

Good looking ride.

Thanks.

First ride impressions after 130 miles are pretty good. I was a little worried about the 1.5 cobra on the icy hard pack Sunday morning. But no overheating. Things loosened up a bit after noon and there was more fresh snow to the north of where I dropped. The ride calibration is dialed in pretty good, it's a snow pro suspension 137" in old mans clothing. The mirrors are in a great location if your going to have mirrors.  The only complaint are the new team clutches, while smooth at hell, the clatter terribly off throttle. I'm going to play with the nifty belt deflection adjuster, but unfortunately upon doing a little research, this is a common complaint.

New Charles Bombardier design.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/technology/a-go-kart-propelled-by-chainsaws-for-riding-on-frozen-lakes/article33513988/?utm_source=Shared+Article+Sent+to+User&utm_medium=E-mail:+Newsletters+/+E-Blasts+/+etc.&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

The concept

The Shenza is an ice-carving go kart equipped with a chain propulsion system that’s designed to ride on frozen lakes in the winter, and it could be converted to wheeled skates to ride on asphalt during the summer.

image.jpg
Renderings provided by Charles Bombardier

The background

A friend recently sent me a YouTube video showing an ice skater using a chainsaw to pull himself across a lake. Of course this is pretty dangerous —imagine falling face first. But I quickly imagined a Go-Kart variation on this idea.

image.jpg

How it works

The Shenza could be driven by two chainsaws like the ones built by Husqvarna. The vehicle could also use a Rotax max 125 DDE Evo Go-Kart motor located in the middle of the vehicle to drive both chains.

The Shenza would have two skate blades under the centerline, which would support the weight of the passenger. The pilot could change the angle and speed of the rotating chains so the Shenza could thus lean while taking a curve, which would help steer the vehicle. The blades could also be made to pivot, although this feature might not be necessary.

The Shenza should be designed to adequately protect the pilot when the vehicle is operating. A maximum tilting angle could be set, and windshields could be added in the front along with guards for the spinning chains.

image.jpg

Potential markets

To run the Shenza, you would need a frozen lake with a somewhat smooth surface . It’s probably safe to say that there aren’t many days with those perfect conditions, however it would be fun to try to build something like this to test it and see how it handles and how it could be improved.

A summer version could feature driven inline skate wheels and a different type of carving system to ride on concrete or asphalt.

image.jpg

The designer

I would like to thank Adolfo Esquivel who created the graphic renderings of the Shenza. Esquivel graduated with an Industrial Design degree from Colombia and completed his postgraduate education in Events Design at UQAM (Montreal). He also created the images of the Libelule ATV/SUB and the Motowalk people mover.

image.jpg

4 hours ago, Puzzleboy said:

New Charles Bombardier design.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/technology/a-go-kart-propelled-by-chainsaws-for-riding-on-frozen-lakes/article33513988/?utm_source=Shared+Article+Sent+to+User&utm_medium=E-mail:+Newsletters+/+E-Blasts+/+etc.&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links

The concept

The Shenza is an ice-carving go kart equipped with a chain propulsion system that’s designed to ride on frozen lakes in the winter, and it could be converted to wheeled skates to ride on asphalt during the summer.

image.jpg
Renderings provided by Charles Bombardier

The background

A friend recently sent me a YouTube video showing an ice skater using a chainsaw to pull himself across a lake. Of course this is pretty dangerous —imagine falling face first. But I quickly imagined a Go-Kart variation on this idea.

image.jpg

How it works

The Shenza could be driven by two chainsaws like the ones built by Husqvarna. The vehicle could also use a Rotax max 125 DDE Evo Go-Kart motor located in the middle of the vehicle to drive both chains.

The Shenza would have two skate blades under the centerline, which would support the weight of the passenger. The pilot could change the angle and speed of the rotating chains so the Shenza could thus lean while taking a curve, which would help steer the vehicle. The blades could also be made to pivot, although this feature might not be necessary.

The Shenza should be designed to adequately protect the pilot when the vehicle is operating. A maximum tilting angle could be set, and windshields could be added in the front along with guards for the spinning chains.

image.jpg

Potential markets

To run the Shenza, you would need a frozen lake with a somewhat smooth surface . It’s probably safe to say that there aren’t many days with those perfect conditions, however it would be fun to try to build something like this to test it and see how it handles and how it could be improved.

A summer version could feature driven inline skate wheels and a different type of carving system to ride on concrete or asphalt.

image.jpg

The designer

I would like to thank Adolfo Esquivel who created the graphic renderings of the Shenza. Esquivel graduated with an Industrial Design degree from Colombia and completed his postgraduate education in Events Design at UQAM (Montreal). He also created the images of the Libelule ATV/SUB and the Motowalk people mover.

image.jpg

I'm betting Polaris, or for that matter, any other manufacturer, is going to copy that....lol. Where does the trail pass for?

Edited by Poncho

On 1/15/2017 at 8:26 PM, lastzrt said:

Damn phone

image.jpg

Already installed some Simmons...how do they work this chassis?

Had them on my old cat but went with Curves this time....think I like the Curves better.

8 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Thanks.

First ride impressions after 130 miles are pretty good. I was a little worried about the 1.5 cobra on the icy hard pack Sunday morning. But no overheating. Things loosened up a bit after noon and there was more fresh snow to the north of where I dropped. The ride calibration is dialed in pretty good, it's a snow pro suspension 137" in old mans clothing. The mirrors are in a great location if your going to have mirrors.  The only complaint are the new team clutches, while smooth at hell, the clatter terribly off throttle. I'm going to play with the nifty belt deflection adjuster, but unfortunately upon doing a little research, this is a common complaint.

My clutches chatter as well sometimes too....and its a 13, so different clutches.

1.5 cobra is a great track, really works well on everything except ice (without studs). If you have not already, install some ice scratchers, they work amazing, zero heat issues (never goes over 125) and good lube for the sliders.

I like the Simmons skis, they seem like a good balance for this chassis and track. I knew the stock ski with the dual offset carbides were going to be a no go just driving from the trailer to the shop. I have had these skis on and off a few other sleds and always liked the planted feel in the corners.6" carbide on the outside 4" inside.

It's not so much a chatter as a resonating flutter? coming from the clutches when you come off the throttle at lower speeds. There is a number of threads on other forums with the same complaint, guys having trouble describing the noise, and no apparent resolution.

Anyone here have a 16 or 17 cat with team clutches?

Edited by lastzrt