Post your new sleds.....or any for that matter...

Poncho

http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/concern-over-lack-of-police-presence-on-snowmobile-trails-1.3240814?platform=hootsuite

The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs there isn’t enough of a police presence after a volunteer program ended last year.

For twenty years, specially trained volunteers, called ‘STOP’ officers, added to the police presence on the trails, in an effort to improve safety. Last February The OFSC and OPP agreed to end the STOP program.

But cutting the more than 100 volunteers has left a gap in enforcement.

Wait...  so you guys want MORE enforcement?!?!?!?  Ok, I'll see what I can do!!!    :cop:

Misleading headline for the news article...  It's not the OFSC complaining, its a specific club, more so a few specific individuals for that club. 

3 minutes ago, odot1 said:

Wait...  so you guys want MORE enforcement?!?!?!?  Ok, I'll see what I can do!!!    :cop:

Misleading headline for the news article...  It's not the OFSC complaining, its a specific club, more so a few specific individuals for that club. 

Sure do. I hardly ever see any police out on the trails in our area. It would be nice if when they are out in our area they actually look for permits and ticket those without them. They seem to focus on other things like registration, insurance and license.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 02sled said:

Sure do. I hardly ever see any police out on the trails in our area. It would be nice if when they are out in our area they actually look for permits and ticket those without them. They seem to focus on other things like registration, insurance and license.

Trail pass enforcement has always been a zero tolerance offence.  I rarely hear of warnings being issued for that.  But do appreciate the input.  Its been tougher this year with the online issuance of the pass.  Many people still only have the paper copy which usually has been "expired" by several days as they await the real pass in the mail.  Last weekend I had a few riders with the pass in their pocket.  Usually that's an indicator they share it between sleds or friends.  They are forced to apply it to the sled AND leave with a ticket as well.  All members in my unit do similar.

2 hours ago, odot1 said:

Trail pass enforcement has always been a zero tolerance offence.  I rarely hear of warnings being issued for that.  But do appreciate the input.  Its been tougher this year with the online issuance of the pass.  Many people still only have the paper copy which usually has been "expired" by several days as they await the real pass in the mail.  Last weekend I had a few riders with the pass in their pocket.  Usually that's an indicator they share it between sleds or friends.  They are forced to apply it to the sled AND leave with a ticket as well.  All members in my unit do similar.

I think it was last year we were stopped by a pair of OPP around Gravenhurst that were in cruisers, they were checking paperwork by the trail where it crossed the road, I inquired about the trail pass check and the officer was not aware what it was for or why check that, I laughed and said that is the most important thing! Pretty sure the officer was new, but it was commical.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odot1 said:

First ride of the season, one in our group did not have permit but did have proof of purchase on his phone. Officer was totally cool, looked it over n had us carry on.  Applaud your forcing them to apply the permit, for sure at least some are sharing permits between sleds or with others. Perhaps their also receiving a ticket will trickle down to others.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, Puzzleboy said:

There's also every possibility that they simply overreacted to an aggressive oncoming rider and put themselves in the ditch. 

Funny you should say that. Some time back,  a group that had been stopped blocking the entire trail (either two or three sleds deep)  just over a blind hill (several rollers before and after),  lost their freaking minds when I came close to making contact. Avoiding them meant up n over the bank then back onto the trail bouncing off the opposite bank. Must have looked hairy as hell cause it was a butt pucker'er from my end. Their position, I was riding too fast. Ok so I'm not a saint and no I was not likely doing 50kph but who in their right mind is foolish enough to stop and block the entire trail just over a blind hill. Because they were riding with wives and children it was 100% my fault and nothing to do with their ridiculous actions. It was quickly escalating to something that could have turned ugly so I rode away.

Yes there is no argument the slower I'd been going would have allowed more time to stop but I feel confident that even at 50k avoiding a collision would not have been much less dramatic, no way it was a just squeeze the brake and be able to stop kinda deal.

Edited by ZRSledhead

3 hours ago, odot1 said:

When doing Trail Patrol I occasionally find someone with the permit in a pocket. Sometimes it will be well into the season and the paper backing is kind of dog eared. They have all kinds of excuses like it is too cold to stick. One occasion was too funny. Only one out of a sizeable group didn't have a permit on the sled. It was in the pocket. He gave the usual excuses but I insisted he stick it on the sled. After he did his buddies all laughed as one said Steve is going to be some pissed when you can't give him his permit back.

I have called our local OPP station to request more enforcement on our club trails.

• Like 1

Ordinarily, they would have considered that to be a prank call.  Of course, once you identified yourself as "Gary, Trail Patrol Officer #189", they knew it was for real. 

Will be poetic justice when the requested increased enforcement in your area, slaps you with a speeding ticket. 

54 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Ordinarily, they would have considered that to be a prank call.  Of course, once you identified yourself as "Gary, Trail Patrol Officer #189", they knew it was for real. 

Will be poetic justice when the requested increased enforcement in your area, slaps you with a speeding ticket. 

If I get ticketed doing something I shouldn't I deserve it, that's just the way it is. A couple of years ago we had one person arrested at about 10:00 in the morning for impaired. Glad to have them off the trails but what I am hoping to target more than anything is the thieves that ride without permits.

32 minutes ago, 02sled said:

If I get ticketed doing something I shouldn't I deserve it, that's just the way it is. A couple of years ago we had one person arrested at about 10:00 in the morning for impaired. Glad to have them off the trails but what I am hoping to target more than anything is the thieves that ride without permits.

With less enforcement by the OPP I won't need to buy a permit next year.

3 minutes ago, Puzzleboy said:

Trails don't look too bad there! 

For what its worth they are pretty damn nice. Few spots lacking snow but all great riding. My dad drove up from Niagara Falls, he was worried about the no snow as he made the drive.. until he got to innisfil beach road and things changed greatly. 

Picked up a new sled this weekend.

Put a 130 break in miles on it around Durham-Owen Sound today. Quite like the machine Crosstrek 800. The trails were actually quite decent too.

image.jpg

Edited by lastzrt