Helmets

Another vote for the Mission.  I bought one with the electric shield but I've yet to have to plug it in. Warm, quiet, and great FOV. The sun peak actually works while still allowing air flow.  I didn't get the carbon version so it's definitely heavier than my off-trail setup (Fly F2 carbon with goggles), but it's much more aerodynamic so I felt it was far more comfortable overall at trail speeds.  My only gripe is on really cold days the flip down sun visor will ice up, however it's possible if I actually plugged the helmet in the main shield may mitigate that...I'll have to use the cord this year and see.

Edited by Premium
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, mnstang said:

509 is a gimmick company that capitalizes on the f7 bro type riders.  I've never took them seriously as anything I'd purchase.

The 509 helmet and goggles my brother has are decent, but the coat and bibs have had zippers replaced in both.  My dad's Delta helmet, well, that thing is total junk.

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

The 509 helmet and goggles my brother has are decent, but the coat and bibs have had zippers replaced in both.  My dad's Delta helmet, well, that thing is total junk.

I had the altitude with sinister goggles. I didn't think they were terrible. 

• Gold Member

Well I ordered a mission helmet this morning.  So I will now have 1500 dollars between two helmets....  Fuck me....   I just hate how hot the O2 helmet is and it has to be plugged in all the time because you are breathing right into the shield.  I figure it was an early birthday present to myself....

2 hours ago, poopooforme said:

Well I ordered a mission helmet this morning.  So I will now have 1500 dollars between two helmets....  Fuck me....   I just hate how hot the O2 helmet is and it has to be plugged in all the time because you are breathing right into the shield.  I figure it was an early birthday present to myself....

I've heard both on the Oxygen helmets that they are hot and always have to have them plugged in or they fog up even in reasonable warm temps.  That's where I'm at when I tried one last year.

On the other side guys I ride with swear by them.  The ones that wear glasses really like them cause they can wear their glasses and they won't fog up.

I bought a CKX Mission helmet this summer when they were pretty well discounted, and got to do a little testing with it today - WOW!!  Put 5 miles on bombing around the field and without it plugged in it never fogged at all.  Any other helmet I’ve worn takes about 30 seconds to start fogging.  Very impressed with this little test…

Just picked up this new BRP Exome today.  I think I’m gonna like it.  It seems like a bit of a hybrid between the original modular, a BV2s and a Mission ckx.  Price point was really good even with the heated shield for the frozen rain days.  Normally it won’t need to be plugged in.

5A56F104-864F-44A6-ADF8-A32C0D7944CC.jpeg

849F5C65-3B03-4677-A427-5FE7B0B0E7FF.jpeg

F86D0100-FAB2-4C37-B781-669F8D58641B.jpeg

ACAA2800-427E-49CF-85B7-3B7A8FAD337E.jpeg

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Just picked up this new BRP Exome today.  I think I’m gonna like it.  It seems like a bit of a hybrid between the original modular, a BV2s and a Mission ckx.  Price point was really good even with the heated shield for the frozen rain days.  Normally it won’t need to be plugged in.

5A56F104-864F-44A6-ADF8-A32C0D7944CC.jpeg

849F5C65-3B03-4677-A427-5FE7B0B0E7FF.jpeg

F86D0100-FAB2-4C37-B781-669F8D58641B.jpeg

ACAA2800-427E-49CF-85B7-3B7A8FAD337E.jpeg

Looks nice but what sold me on the CKX was the solid chin bar on the mission vs a traditional modular. I don't trust that a cheap latch is going to keep my mouth from eating a full handlebar meal in the event of an accident.

Edited by Premium
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Premium said:

Looks nice but what sold me on the Mission was the solid chin bar on the CKX mission vs a traditional modular. I don't trust that a cheap latch is going to keep my mouth from eating a full handlebar meal in the event of an accident.

I hear ya, but it has a metal post that secures the chin bar and its DOT approved.  I liked my Mission if not for the  internal visor mechanism failing and the weird fitting nose piece I would probably still be riding with it.

Edited by DriftBusta

On 11/18/2022 at 8:31 AM, Deephaven said:

Is there anything that 509 makes that works right?  

I’ve had great luck with all of their goggles up to the Aviator 2.0s with the quick change lenses. I’ve been through 6 or 7 lenses now. The seal between the two panes fails so they get snow dust in and fog. My X6 Ignite goggles have been awesome though. 

1 hour ago, Premium said:

Looks nice but what sold me on the CKX was the solid chin bar on the mission vs a traditional modular. I don't trust that a cheap latch is going to keep my mouth from eating a full handlebar meal in the event of an accident.

After seeing two bad accidents where the rider was wearing a modular helmet, I’ll never ride with one again. Only ever had a BVS2 and that thing was way too heavy and hot. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’ve had great luck with all of their goggles up to that new deal they came out with last year with the quick change lenses. I’ve been through 6 or 7 lenses now. The seal between the two panes fails so they get snow dust in and fog. My X6 Ignite goggles have been awesome though. 

After seeing two bad accidents where the rider was wearing a modular helmet, I’ll never ride with one again. Only ever had a BVS2 and that thing was way too heavy and hot. 

Just me but I'm not a modular helmet guy.  It's just me but seams like an open face with a chin strap.

I have an old carbon fiber helmet that I've bought a couple spare heated shields to get me through.  I know it's on borrowed time but still like the helmet and it works for me.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:17 AM, mnstang said:

Moto helmet and goggles.  Works every time.  And better safety than these gimmicky tinker toy helmets in the sled industry.

But hey wear a tekvest and you're good to go lol

What brand helmet/goggle do you use?

40 minutes ago, Doug said:

Just me but I'm not a modular helmet guy.  It's just me but seams like an open face with a chin strap.

I have an old carbon fiber helmet that I've bought a couple spare heated shields to get me through.  I know it's on borrowed time but still like the helmet and it works for me.

I’ve had multiple HJC helmets that I didn’t want to get rid of just like that. Ultimately though, I replaced them because I didn’t want to take a lick to the head and regret not replacing them. 

13 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’ve had multiple HJC helmets that I didn’t want to get rid of just like that. Ultimately though, I replaced them because I didn’t want to take a lick to the head and regret not replacing them. 

That's about where I'm at.  It's a carbon fiber helmet and I've had it a while.  Just haven't found a helmet that I like better but know I should replace it.

54 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

What brand helmet/goggle do you use?

Fly formula helmet and Scott prospect goggles.  I've also used fly carbon f2 helmet and Oakley and 100% goggles, never had a problem with any combination of all those.  I use a klim Arctic balaclava and I think that helps too.  Except for warmer off trail riding then I don't run a balaclava.  I never have any fogging.  Unless like I said the goggles get soaked with water 

• Thanks 1

• Gold Member
22 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Fly formula helmet and Scott prospect goggles.  I've also used fly carbon f2 helmet and Oakley and 100% goggles, never had a problem with any combination of all those.  I use a klim Arctic balaclava and I think that helps too.  Except for warmer off trail riding then I don't run a balaclava.  I never have any fogging.  Unless like I said the goggles get soaked with water 

I use the klim arctic too works great. The only time I had a issue with fogging trail riding was when it was warm and I was getting hot the goggles kept getting foggy took off the balaclava and unzipped coat a little and was fine after that. It’s the only set up I can actually wear my glasses and not have them fog up.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, Doug said:

I've heard both on the Oxygen helmets that they are hot and always have to have them plugged in or they fog up even in reasonable warm temps.  That's where I'm at when I tried one last year.

On the other side guys I ride with swear by them.  The ones that wear glasses really like them cause they can wear their glasses and they won't fog up.

2 seasons now with a Mission as a glasses wearer. No fogging of my glasses and I've yet to plug my Mission in.

• Platinum Contributing Member
On 11/18/2022 at 7:01 PM, racinfarmer said:

Ooofda….bought one of those last year with a heated shield…what a pile of dung that thing is. On the other hand my 509 Carbon Fiber MX helmet  is very nice.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks