Helmets

I ride with glasses.  I tend to ride sorta speedy, so lots of head wind.

Have a Mission, 509 R3L Ignite carbon fiber, Klim f4, and TXI with heated visor.

The Mission and TXI are the easiest with glasses.  Once they are adjusted, both can slap on and go.  The Mission takes a little time with setup, the TXI just needs the correct face grommet.

The 509 needs fiddling to keep from fogging glasses and colder temps don't work well.  Seems almost odd because the visor creates enough heat to feel it on my face.  It moves a lot of air and is comfy.  Those two vents on top of the visor are like skull air conditioning.  I use it with warmer temps and freezing rain snow.

The Klim is for warm sunny days.  Lots of free air movement, easy breathing, and comfy.  It works well and goes on fast if I'm not worried about bare skin.

The Mission is a bit amazing in cold.  It is warmer, but not bad.  It must be moving air quite well since fogging is non existent.  Oddly, you just don't feel the cold air moving around the melon.  Glasses even stay fairly clear while not moving.  It isolates the breath well. The helmet is relatively quiet.

Downsides in cold, you must make sure it latches shut.  Ice will build up so it's hard to close.  Also not a huge fan of the rubber face grommet getting cold when taking longer stops.  It's not a big deal, but it's annoying.

The nose/face grommet positioning is critical in the Mission.  I've kablanged my skull wrapper and the dang thing pinches the nose shut.  Take time to set up the thing.

Not much to mention about the TXI.  It's the easiest in the bunch.  Just slap it on and ride.  It's a bit noisy and fit isn't perfect, but it's still my banger helmet.  Glasses are easy to manage.

• Like 2

Well, first problem. It seems that the mechanism for the sun shield blew out the first time I tried to use it. That sucks because I’m riding with this helmet this weekend and I waited a week for it. 

I also don’t get the rubber mask adjustment. Do you guys still wear any kind of balaclava with this helmet? I’m afraid the rubber won’t seal unless it’s on bare skin but seems like it would be really cold and irritating if it was on bare skin. 

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Just unboxed the mission. So far it fits and looks decent. Looks like I have some learning and adjusting to do. Hoping to try it out this weekend. 

:thumbsup: took me a bit of tinkering to get it as perfect as I can for myself 

14 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Well, first problem. It seems that the mechanism for the sun shield blew out the first time I tried to use it. That sucks because I’m riding with this helmet this weekend and I waited a week for it. 

I also don’t get the rubber mask adjustment. Do you guys still wear any kind of balaclava with this helmet? I’m afraid the rubber won’t seal unless it’s on bare skin but seems like it would be really cold and irritating if it was on bare skin. 

elaborate on the sun shield.  Make sure you move the tinted part back up before opening the clear main face shield.  also, make sure the vents are fully open or it will most definitely fog if you are working hard.  I wear an open face Kilm balaclava... mostly for the neck wind protection.  Hate anything covering my mouth.  Look at klim model 3116, sits on my chin and the Mission chin curtain seals it up perfectly.  

the rubber face piece takes a bit of fiddling around.  I had to loosen the straps to bring it closer to my eyes and the bridge of my nose.  the tiny print instructions aren't fantastic and they really need a good hot to properly fit on their site. 

did you bust the amber lens or the mechanism?   hamfist it? 

• Like 2

I never attempted to use the sun shield until I had the helmet on and shield down. They had a sticker over the lever saying not to put the sun shield down unless the main shield is closed. So I didn’t. You can feel the mechanism just skipping over itself when you try to lower the sun shield but nothing happens.

$550 helmet broken right out of the box. Kinda sucks but if I’m going to ride this weekend, I really don’t want to ride in my Klim again. All the wind noise in the Klim really hurt my ears. My right ear is already fucked. Hoping they take the return and give me another one.  

23 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I never attempted to use the sun shield until I had the helmet on and shield down. They had a sticker over the lever saying not to put the sun shield down unless the main shield is closed. So I didn’t. You can feel the mechanism just skipping over itself when you try to lower the sun shield but nothing happens.

$550 helmet broken right out of the box. Kinda sucks but if I’m going to ride this weekend, I really don’t want to ride in my Klim again. All the wind noise in the Klim really hurt my ears. My right ear is already fucked. Hoping they take the return and give me another one.  

$550?  Which model did you get? 

The amber tint doesn't do anything for sun, but it helps immensely on flat light days... like amber shooting glasses.  Call and complain but wear it anyway this weekend, and take a backup if need be.  I keep the reliable TXI in the gear tote of the truck all winter, same as extra gloves and a coat... cuz shit happens or someone inevitably forgets something.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

$550?  Which model did you get? 

The amber tint doesn't do anything for sun, but it helps immensely on flat light days... like amber shooting glasses.  Call and complain but wear it anyway this weekend, and take a backup if need be.  I keep the reliable TXI in the gear tote of the truck all winter, same as extra gloves and a coat... cuz shit happens or someone inevitably forgets something.

It was actually $570 with the taxes. I got the plain matte black CKX Mission with the heated shield. Im not worried about needing the sun shield, I just want it to work if I do want to use it. Not to mention, this is the most I’ve ever spent on a helmet, I’d like it to work. I’m sure Amazon will return it next week. I’ll probably just get another one on the way now, so I’m not out a helmet and return this one when that one comes in. 

I use amber goggles on flat light days when riding off trail. I use photochromatic 509’s for trail riding. I wouldn’t mind a smoked shield, for this helmet, for sunny days.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

It was actually $570 with the taxes. I got the plain matte black CKX Mission with the heated shield. Im not worried about needing the sun shield, I just want it to work if I do want to use it. Not to mention, this is the most I’ve ever spent on a helmet, I’d like it to work. I’m sure Amazon will return it next week. I’ll probably just get another one on the way now, so I’m not out a helmet and return this one when that one comes in. 

I use amber goggles on flat light days when riding off trail. I use photochromatic 509’s for trail riding. I wouldn’t mind a smoked shield, for this helmet, for sunny days.

I hate to say I think you'll like it so I'll just say I hope you like as much as everyone else that's bought one.  

A few ? pages back there's mention of a dark tinted flip down shield and if it's not a pita to install I'll probably get one as well for bright snow reflection days. 

Hope it works out for you. 

On 2/1/2023 at 5:35 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Im not worried about needing the sun shield, I just want it to work if I do want to use it. Not to mention, this is the most I’ve ever spent on a helmet, I’d like it to work. I’m sure Amazon will return it next week. I’ll probably just get another one on the way now, so I’m not out a helmet and return this one when that one comes in. 

did you try it this weekend?

had a little fogging issue with the flip down yesterday... my fault though.  bumped the little tiny vent flap on top closed.  if I have one gripe about the helmet, they should let the user allow more airflow into the breath box without removing the chin curtain.  at one point yesterday for just a moment I wish I had been wearing my old TXI, but I like this lid

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

did you try it this weekend?

had a little fogging issue with the flip down yesterday... my fault though.  bumped the little tiny vent flap on top closed.  if I have one gripe about the helmet, they should let the user allow more airflow into the breath box without removing the chin curtain.  at one point yesterday for just a moment I wish I had been wearing my old TXI, but I like this lid

Negative. Boxed it up and sent it back. It’s replacement should be here Wednesday but I have an off trail trip this coming weekend, and a week long work trip right after that so no telling on when I’ll get to try it now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally rode with this Mission helmet. Holy shit is it warm. No way I could ride with the chin curtain in. That might have something to do with the fact that this new sled has a 10’ tall windshield on it too though. 

I can’t seem to figure out how to get the rubber mask deal to sit up on the bridge of my nose and my cheeks.

Even then though, solid helmet. Great range of vision and even the base model is nice and light. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Finally rode with this Mission helmet. Holy shit is it warm. No way I could ride with the chin curtain in. That might have something to do with the fact that this new sled has a 10’ tall windshield on it too though. 

I can’t seem to figure out how to get the rubber mask deal to sit up on the bridge of my nose and my cheeks.

Even then though, solid helmet. Great range of vision and even the base model is nice and light. 

Where is it riding? To high. Snug up the straps. Took me a half dozen rides to get it right. Once you find the sweet spot, you will never look back.

6 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

Where is it riding? To high. Snug up the straps. Took me a half dozen rides to get it right. Once you find the sweet spot, you will never look back.

Too low. It’s down on the bottom of my nose trying to pinch my nose closed. I think the straps are all the way out, too. 

Edited by SayatodaU.P.eh?

25 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Too low. It’s down on the bottom of my nose trying to pinch my nose closed. I think the straps are all the way out, too. 

you are probably trying to get away from the wire but if not i run plugged in without the nose piece. then no worries about the sunshield getting broke either. i switched to smoked and it was great yesterday,  even while snowing

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

hate to say we told you so, but we told you so  :)

the range of vision is fantastic

51 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

loosen the straps so it goes further up your nose/cheeks... 

if I have one gripe about this lid... it would be for them to add more ventilation ports to open or close, especially the two little ones on the front.

make sure both those ports are open, buddy had the lower one closed yesterday on his and was bitching about it until I showed him it was shut.  then, no more problems.  these need some airflow to function correctly for the mips system, sometimes if you just stand up while going fast you can feel the heat get sucked out.   fwiw, he rides with a big grandpa windshield, side deflectors, hand guards... etc, because we're not seventeen year olds trying to look cool.   :lmao:    

10 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Finally rode with this Mission helmet. Holy shit is it warm. No way I could ride with the chin curtain in. 

I can imagine.  The Titan is Uber warm as well, but has about 10 vents.  Even at -20f I have all the vents open except the front mouth vent.  Having a system that is all meant to work together is genius.  

On 2/1/2023 at 4:12 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Look at klim model 3116, sits on my chin and the Mission chin curtain seals it up perfectly.  

Any idea how that works with beards?  Titan seals so well I switched to the open face ckx, but it is a below chin unit which has the effect of freezing my beard to the helmet.  First time it took 45min with a hairdryer to get it off.  I wear it up over the beard now but it isn't comfortable like that.  Something that just grabs the chin would be great.  That or I'll have to shave and just leave the chin exposed.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Any idea how that works with beards?  Titan seals so well I switched to the open face ckx, but it is a below chin unit which has the effect of freezing my beard to the helmet.  First time it took 45min with a hairdryer to get it off.  I wear it up over the beard now but it isn't comfortable like that.  Something that just grabs the chin would be great.  That or I'll have to shave and just leave the chin exposed.

otb :roflcrying:

shaving-wet-shave.gif

mine sits right on my chin under the lower lip... and I shave every other week.

I trim when I get a haircut.  On chin and under the lower lip is perfect.  The ckx one is really tight and has to short of a skirt to tuck in as I regularly end up pulling it out turning around to see how long I need to wait for the ones behind me.

5 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

hate to say we told you so, but we told you so  :)

the range of vision is fantastic

loosen the straps so it goes further up your nose/cheeks... 

if I have one gripe about this lid... it would be for them to add more ventilation ports to open or close, especially the two little ones on the front.

make sure both those ports are open, buddy had the lower one closed yesterday on his and was bitching about it until I showed him it was shut.  then, no more problems.  these need some airflow to function correctly for the mips system, sometimes if you just stand up while going fast you can feel the heat get sucked out.   fwiw, he rides with a big grandpa windshield, side deflectors, hand guards... etc, because we're not seventeen year olds trying to look cool.   :lmao:    

Hey, I own it. Honestly, I missed out not trying one on at the Polaris dealer when I was in Munising or I would have bought one right then. 

17 or 75, what the fuck ever. I’m not running the iron dog or my trap line. I typically don’t get too cold when riding, I get too hot. The hand guards are more for protection from flying shit on my trail sled. I’ve taken a small chuck of ice to the hand before, it hurts like hell. If they block some wind off my hands, added bonus. Also, I do like the look. So what. 

5 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

you are probably trying to get away from the wire but if not i run plugged in without the nose piece. then no worries about the sunshield getting broke either. i switched to smoked and it was great yesterday,  even while snowing

I ran the wire all day yesterday too because with Michigan weather, and my work load these past two years, I can’t seem to get enough riding in so I take everything and adjust as much as I can, without being a bother to the group I’m riding with. I was riding with the wife yesterday so I was doing a little experimenting but the riding was good too so I wanted to just keep riding. If you stop too much, the wife gets bored and will just ask to go back to the house sometimes. 

On 2/26/2023 at 12:54 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I ran the wire all day yesterday too because with Michigan weather, and my work load these past two years, I can’t seem to get enough riding in so I take everything and adjust as much as I can, without being a bother to the group I’m riding with. I was riding with the wife yesterday so I was doing a little experimenting but the riding was good too so I wanted to just keep riding. If you stop too much, the wife gets bored and will just ask to go back to the house sometimes. 

best video I've found on the Mission, going to run mine without the chin curtain on today as it's going to be a bit warm.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 8:54 AM, Deephaven said:

I can imagine.  The Titan is Uber warm as well, but has about 10 vents.  Even at -20f I have all the vents open except the front mouth vent.  Having a system that is all meant to work together is genius.  

I have a full beard all winter. Just trimmed it yesterday. Been using the Mission with no beard issues and no glasses fogging for 3 seasons! Unplugged too!

Edited by Liggett