Helmets

10 hours ago, Deephaven said:

The Titan is not a modular helmet.

I’ve been on the scene of two bad sled accidents in my life where someone had a modular type helmet. One made it but their face was all scratched up to shit (BVS2). The other was my brother in law. He’s no longer with us. His helmet (SD Modular) was in 8 pieces. I’d rather have something with a real chin bar. 

4 hours ago, Premium said:

Neither the Titan nor the Mission is modular, technically.

Close enough, imo. Plus, if I was going to pay that much for a helmet, I’d just buy an oxygen, tbh. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Close enough, imo. Plus, if I was going to pay that much for a helmet, I’d just buy an oxygen, tbh. 

If I wanted to be married to the electric shield/plug it'd be a viable option. The oxygen just doesn't work well without it. Not the case for the Mission.

Edited by Premium

3 minutes ago, Premium said:

If I wanted to be married to the electric shield/plug it'd be a viable option. The oxygen just doesn't work well without it. Not the case for the Mission.

I was riding in a very light freezing drizzle mist today. While I hate those cords too, sure wished I would have had one today. So, that’s a non-point with me. 

Plus, I haven’t found a helmet that I can’t fog, even if just a little bit, without a heated shield. I’m fat and out of shape. I breathe and sweat a lot. Even if a helmet can evac all of my breath, it’s usually sealed tight enough that my sweaty head will make it start to fog. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I was riding in a very light freezing drizzle mist today. While I hate those cords too, sure wished I would have had one today. So, that’s a non-point with me. 

Plus, I haven’t found a helmet that I can’t fog, even if just a little bit, without a heated shield. I’m fat and out of shape. I breathe and sweat a lot. Even if a helmet can evac all of my breath, it’s usually sealed tight enough that my sweaty head will make it start to fog. 

I deal with the same thing, bought a bv2s because my brother had great luck with his. Fog that one up too.

I know the goggle setup isn't for everyone, but man ... no other way to go IMO.  I've ridden in temps close to -25F (as rare as possible) and that's about the closest thing I can say to being a challenge with goggles.  But as long as the setup seals up, you're good to go.

Freezing rain/drizzle sucks but in those instances I just keep a handkerchief with me and hold it on my heated grips & use it to wipe my goggles as needed.  It's not 100% effective, but it works pretty well in those situations.  No way I could see spending over $500 for a helmet with a heated shield because it's always been just a matter of time for me & the shield goes to shit.

13 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

better day today with the new lid after adjusting the breath box properly.  it's almost too warm with the vents open and the neck/chin flap on.

IMG_20230122_113329804_HDR.jpg

Did you pull the ear plugs out of the vent holes?  Mine came packed for cold weather and had extra vents plugged....amusingly with 3M ear plugs, lol.  Even at more than -20F I don't put them in.

15 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Did you pull the ear plugs out of the vent holes?  Mine came packed for cold weather and had extra vents plugged....amusingly with 3M ear plugs, lol.  Even at more than -20F I don't put them in.

I don't think it has......

(goes to take a look)

9 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

seems like a chin bar... :dunno:

IMG_20230122_082101519.jpg

IMG_20230122_082133518.jpg

it's not like we're running the iron dog with open face helmets... 

maxresdefault.jpg

Touché. Sounds like a really warm helmet though. 

8 hours ago, Bontz said:

I know the goggle setup isn't for everyone, but man ... no other way to go IMO.  I've ridden in temps close to -25F (as rare as possible) and that's about the closest thing I can say to being a challenge with goggles.  But as long as the setup seals up, you're good to go.

Freezing rain/drizzle sucks but in those instances I just keep a handkerchief with me and hold it on my heated grips & use it to wipe my goggles as needed.  It's not 100% effective, but it works pretty well in those situations.  No way I could see spending over $500 for a helmet with a heated shield because it's always been just a matter of time for me & the shield goes to shit.

If I had something other than my Klim F3, I’m sure I’d be ok. The F3 isn’t meant for trail riding though and that’s not what I bought it for but it’s comfortable so that’s all I have for a helmet right now. 

7 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Heated goggles work better than a heated shield as well...

...I don't need them (except in rain) but my riding buddy can't ride without being plugged in.  The heating elements being so close to where they need to be make it work.

I have heated 509s. They weren’t melting anything yesterday until I stopped and left them on. 

Another vote for the Mission here.  Wasn’t sure how the nose piece would work but it’s a non-issue.  Picked one up this summer from Amazon just to try it on and see how the fit was.  At $450 with the heated shield I ended up keeping it.  With nearly 3000 miles it’s hands down the best helmet I’ve owned.  Really like the visor for blocking the sun in the down position.  Not a fan of goggles - everyone has their preference when it comes to style.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Another vote for the Mission here.  Wasn’t sure how the nose piece would work but it’s a non-issue.  Picked one up this summer from Amazon just to try it on and see how the fit was.  At $450 with the heated shield I ended up keeping it.  With nearly 3000 miles it’s hands down the best helmet I’ve owned.  Really like the visor for blocking the sun in the down position.  Not a fan of goggles - everyone has their preference when it comes to style.

Curious on this as my brother-in-law literally had contacted me last night to ask what would be the best helmet as he's getting back into sledding after many years.  He wears glasses & whatever setup he had this past weekend apparently sucked.  Does the Mission helmet work for people who wear glasses?  I didn't backread far enough to see ... maybe it's already been answered.

Just now, Bontz said:

Curious on this as my brother-in-law literally had contacted me last night to ask what would be the best helmet as he's getting back into sledding after many years.  He wears glasses & whatever setup he had this past weekend apparently sucked.  Does the Mission helmet work for people who wear glasses?  I didn't backread far enough to see ... maybe it's already been answered.

Contacts wearer myself, and I won't be wearing glasses unless it's an emergency situation.  I hope I don't need to do that as I would think the nose piece/breath deflector may be an issue pulling the helmet down, and it's not a true modular.

My old helmet was an old (10 + years) Polaris carbon fiber helmet that I really liked and was hard to replace.  I don't like to be tethered to the sled and this helmet wouldn't fog up unless it was below zero.  Last year I noticed that the shield wasn't working anymore and couldn't get a replacement.  I'm not a fan of a modular helmet either.  Seen the chin piece break off on some minor hits.

Ended up buying a 509 carbon fiber helmet my dealer gave me a deal on it.  Likes on the helmet is its lite, fits well and the magnetic chin strap is easy to latch and unlatch in cold weather outside.  Dislikes is if it's 10-15 degrees out it starts to fog and I need to plug it in.

Couple guys I ride with have Mission helmets and they seem to like them with no complaints.  Others have Oxygen helmets and like them when it cold out but say they are hot when the temperatures are 20 degree and above.  Even in warmer temps they need to have them plugged in or they start to fog.

On a side note it's nice when you follow someone with an Oxygen helmet with the light on the back of the helmet.  I see there a couple aftermarket lights that can be added has anybody tried them?  Here again I don't like to be tethered but if I'm plugging my helmet in more I anyway may as well have a light on.

43 minutes ago, Doug said:

My old helmet was an old (10 + years) Polaris carbon fiber helmet that I really liked and was hard to replace.  I don't like to be tethered to the sled and this helmet wouldn't fog up unless it was below zero.  Last year I noticed that the shield wasn't working anymore and couldn't get a replacement.  I'm not a fan of a modular helmet either.  Seen the chin piece break off on some minor hits.

Ended up buying a 509 carbon fiber helmet my dealer gave me a deal on it.  Likes on the helmet is its lite, fits well and the magnetic chin strap is easy to latch and unlatch in cold weather outside.  Dislikes is if it's 10-15 degrees out it starts to fog and I need to plug it in.

Couple guys I ride with have Mission helmets and they seem to like them with no complaints.  Others have Oxygen helmets and like them when it cold out but say they are hot when the temperatures are 20 degree and above.  Even in warmer temps they need to have them plugged in or they start to fog.

On a side note it's nice when you follow someone with an Oxygen helmet with the light on the back of the helmet.  I see there a couple aftermarket lights that can be added has anybody tried them?  Here again I don't like to be tethered but if I'm plugging my helmet in more I anyway may as well have a light on.

Our club president has one, it's about a 4-5" long LED strip that can be one of a handful of colors, he runs it with orange/amber.  I've never really seen the need for one, but I guess they could have a use in super foggy conditions, like what we rode home in yesterday morning. 
Link: https://biteharder.com/product/snowmobile-helmet-safety-light/

Edited by Mag6240

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

Guy in our group that wears glasses just bought a Mission with the heated shield last week said the helmet worked real good last weekend with his glasses. A side note is temps we're in the mid teens and low 20's

1 hour ago, Mag6240 said:

Our club president has one, it's about a 4-5" long LED strip that can be one of a handful of colors, he runs it with orange/amber.  I've never really seen the need for one, but I guess they could have a use in super foggy conditions, like what we rode home in yesterday morning. 
Link: https://biteharder.com/product/snowmobile-helmet-safety-light/

I normally lead so it's more for the people behind me.  In heavy snow dust the light on the oxygen helmet is easier to see than the taillight on the sled.

• Like 3

Just now, Doug said:

Guy in our group that wears glasses just bought a Mission with the heated shield last week said the helmet worked real good last weekend with his glasses. A side note is temps we're in the mid teens and low 20's

I normally lead so it's more for the people behind me.  In heavy snow dust the light on the oxygen helmet is easier to see than the taillight on the sled.

So do I - but most of the guys want me to run the trails like a cross country race, so they aren't far behind me, if they can keep up!  :dirol:  All kidding aside, some of their names are "Missile Mike", "Wild Bill" or "Billy the Animal", "Black Cloud" and "Tow Strap" - you get the idea.

Good to hear the helmet works with glasses - one of my best riding buds who wears glasses was curious as well, as his modular is very old and he was looking for a replacement in the next year or two.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Not surprised, everything 509 I have had has been a major failure.

I’ve had great luck with their goggles until the 2.0 Aviators that I bought last year. Complete garbage. I’ve been through 5 lenses. The foam that separates the two lenses keeps coming out of place and allowing snow dust in between the lenses. 

Well, after ordering/trying on 5 more helmets, and not finding one in stock anywhere to try on, I ordered a CKX Mission off Amazon to try. First part is to hope it fits. It still amazes me, after all these years at how far off helmet manufacturers are from their “size charts”. Even two helmets from the same manufacturer are horribly different sizes. 

I am a little worried that this CKX will be too warm but I really want a shielded helmet, with a heated shield, for trail riding that again, isn’t a modular. Looks like this might me my last option other than some cheap, off brand snow show helmet. 

• Like 2