Helmets

Have you considered swapping the tinted lens? I wasn't a fan of the yellow it came with.

Thursday I picked up a new CKX balaclava that's better suited to the helmet style. Between the chin curtain and the rubber breath divider there's no need for fabric over your nose or mouth.

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I love the yellow.  Works for both night and day.  Even with the Titan I wear an open face balaclava.  

I agree yellow is versatile and I like them for goggles. Given that with the Mission has a clear shield, for the flip down lens I wanted something that cut down on the bright light better while still providing contrast on flat light days, so I picked up the smoke lens.

Edited by Premium

9 minutes ago, Premium said:

Have you considered swapping the tinted lens? I wasn't a fan of the yellow it came with.

Thursday I picked up a new CKX balaclava that's better suited to the helmet style. Between the chin curtain and the rubber breath divider there's no need for fabric over your nose or mouth.

I have a regular Klim Covert balaclava and can't stand stuff over my nose and mouth.  Also have a Tundra but used it twice and hated it.  Very much looking forward to the chin curtain, which the TXI lacks.  

Have clear/amber/smoke shields for the TXI, will try the one the Mission comes with and see how it goes.  I like the amber tint for those cloudy or overcast days... like shooting glasses.  

3 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I have a regular Klim Covert balaclava and can't stand stuff over my nose and mouth.  Also have a Tundra but used it twice and hated it.  Very much looking forward to the chin curtain, which the TXI lacks.  

Have clear/amber/smoke shields for the TXI, will try the one the Mission comes with and see how it goes.  I like the amber tint for those cloudy or overcast days... like shooting glasses.  

For sure. I tried to find a different lens mid season last year and everything was back ordered. Found a smoke one randomly back in July and I'm thinking I'll like it much more.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Premium said:

For sure. I tried to find a different lens mid season last year and everything was back ordered. Found a smoke one randomly back in July and I'm thinking I'll like it much more.

if you find them in smoke let me know... like having spares if they're easy to swap out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Seems expensive, when the CKX Contact is like half the price.  Still not Oxygen-level expensive, but that price requires a little planning to fit it into the budget.  Is it worth it?  

Definitely tempted.  

1 hour ago, p51mstg said:

Seems expensive, when the CKX Contact is like half the price.  Still not Oxygen-level expensive, but that price requires a little planning to fit it into the budget.  Is it worth it?  

Definitely tempted.  

I'll let you know tomorrow night   😉

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 6:20 PM, Premium said:

i don't dig yellow. amber may have been ok, but i ordered a smoked lens in october, got it a couple weeks ago .easy change. of course no snow to test the helmet or the lens , but i went out in to bright sun and it is gonna be awesome

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i don't dig yellow. amber may have been ok, but i ordered a smoked lens in october, got it a couple weeks ago .easy change. of course no snow to test the helmet or the lens , but i went out in to bright sun and it is gonna be awesome

interested... got a link and part # by chance ?

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

10 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i ordered from upnorth sports. they said only one shipment. at that time dennis kirk had stock. no longer

thanks

is it very dark, or just kinda' dark tinted?

for the old reliable TXI I have multiple shields with visors attached ready to swap given conditions.  prefer the amber for low light days, and the dark tint for far too much sunlight off the snow days.  

one benefit I can see in advance with the flop down shield is having a clear shield at all times... having been caught well after dark with the dark tinted shield. 

• Like 1

It's definitely more of a mild-moderate dark imo.  It's enough to cut down on bright, flat-light related eye fatigue while maintaining good contrast.

With this crappy season I have limited seat time on that lens, but so far I've employed it basically the entire time during daylight hours.

Edited by Premium
  • Like 2

Well, last season I bought a 509 R3L Ignite and tried to like it. Rode with it twice. Couldn’t stand it and sold it. 

Since, I’ve tried ever none modular helmet I think I can find (Castle X, 509 Delta V, etc) and can’t find anything that will fit me or that I like. So, I’m trail riding in my Klim F3 and goggles this weekend and while it’s a little chilly, even in 25F temps, at least it fits and is comfortable. I was just at the large Polaris/Doo dealer tonight and still couldn’t find anything I liked or would fit. 99% of full face helmets they had were module and I won’t ride in a modular. Sorta beyond over it. Might be time to buy an old HJC CL series heavy ass bucket and deal with it. 

25 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Well, last season I bought a 509 R3L Ignite and tried to like it. Rode with it twice. Couldn’t stand it and sold it. 

Since, I’ve tried ever none modular helmet I think I can find (Castle X, 509 Delta V, etc) and can’t find anything that will fit me or that I like. So, I’m trail riding in my Klim F3 and goggles this weekend and while it’s a little chilly, even in 25F temps, at least it fits and is comfortable. I was just at the large Polaris/Doo dealer tonight and still couldn’t find anything I liked or would fit. 99% of full face helmets they had were module and I won’t ride in a modular. Sorta beyond over it. Might be time to buy an old HJC CL series heavy ass bucket and deal with it. 

for the type of riding you do... @Deephaven likes his CKX Titan.  Maybe it'd work for you as well?  :dunno:

first ride... 8 out of 10

need to keep vents open being more used to the open bottom txi... need to adjust the fighter pilot breath box as the tinted flip down visor fogged a bit, need to adjust for better fitment.  doesn't feel a LOT lighter than the old TXI after a while.  FAR superior visibility compared to what I'm used to.

need to fiddle with it but so far, I like it!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

first ride... 8 out of 10

need to keep vents open being more used to the open bottom txi... need to adjust the fighter pilot breath box as the tinted flip down visor fogged a bit, need to adjust for better fitment.  doesn't feel a LOT lighter than the old TXI after a while.  FAR superior visibility compared to what I'm used to.

need to fiddle with it but so far, I like it!

One thing I've noticed so far, is that the drop down tinted visor seems to have less issues if it's deployed.  That's another reason I like the mild smoke lens, I can use it during all daylight hours and as long as its deployed it won't fog or ice. I think on cold days if you get sweaty the lens will fog and then ice when retracted due to moisture and heat rising.