Helmets

Last year a number of guys I ride with bought a Oxygen helmet all had good things to say about them.  Figured I'll probably buy one for this coming season.  A couple weeks ago got a survey from Polaris asking a lot of details about helmets. They were asking about helmets such as speakers, blue tooth, communication between riders, tethered to the sled untethered and battery operated and a number of other features.  Makes me think that Polaris may be coming out with a new helmet that may tap into additional features.

I'll stick with the original Doo modular. Been wearing them since 2003. I can put them on or take off with out taking my gasses off.  Can't do that with the Oxygen. The fancy bells and whistles I don't need

A number of guys I ride with bought an Oxygen helmet and all of them had good things to say about them.  I figured I'll just wait until next year and buy one.  A couple weeks again I got a survey from Polaris asking detailed questions about helmets.  Questions included asking about speakers, blue tooth compatible, communicating with passenger and other riders in your group,  tethered to your sled, untethered with rechargeable battery bigger viewing area.  Seems like Polaris may be looking at or possible coming out with a new helmet with additional features.

I had an original Doo modular and BVS2. When my brother in law got killed on his sled, the pieces of his original Doo modular were scattered everywhere. Sold both of my modular helmets shortly thereafter. I bought an HJC full face like I use to wear, before open face and modular helmets and I never wear it. Too heavy and can’t see anything. I’m just as warm in my Klim F3 and my heated 509 goggle solve any sight issues. 

Been using a BRP Mod2 for years.  It's starting to show it's age I bought a CKX Mission.  Didn't get a chance to try it out on the sled yet but gave it a try in 15 degree weather on the ATV and it works good so far. 

https://www.ckxgear.com/en-us/products/snowmobile/helmets-goggles/full-face-helmets/ckx-mission-ams-full-face-helmet-solid-winter

7 hours ago, Doug said:

Last year a number of guys I ride with bought a Oxygen helmet all had good things to say about them.  Figured I'll probably buy one for this coming season.  A couple weeks ago got a survey from Polaris asking a lot of details about helmets. They were asking about helmets such as speakers, blue tooth, communication between riders, tethered to the sled untethered and battery operated and a number of other features.  Makes me think that Polaris may be coming out with a new helmet that may tap into additional features.

This all makes perfect sense.  Also, maybe a heads up display?

Now, why did you post this in an AC forum?  Clearly, this belongs in a Poo forum.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

This all makes perfect sense.  Also, maybe a heads up display?

Now, why did you post this in an AC forum?  Clearly, this belongs in a Poo forum.

Your correct Z care to combine it with the one in the Polaris forum.  I hit the wrong forum obviously

16 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Yes so you can talk to your wife while getting turn by turn trail navigation.  Every Polaris riders dream.

Honestly, I would be better off having a solid communication system between my wife and I while riding. She’s polish and overly sensitive. No idea WHY she married an Italian but whatever. Literally she wanders at times and when I try to rein her in with hand signals, along with trying to talk to her through helmets with sleds running, she always thinks I’m yelling at her. :lol:

2 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Honestly, I would be better off having a solid communication system between my wife and I while riding. She’s polish and overly sensitive. No idea WHY she married an Italian but whatever. Literally she wanders at times and when I try to rein her in with hand signals, along with trying to talk to her through helmets with sleds running, she always thinks I’m yelling at her. :lol:

My wife always had no problem keeping up when we rode together.  She got thrown off her sled 2 years ago and broke some ribs.  Ever since then she still rides good but would do better if I put a piece of tape over the speedometer.  

• Gold Member

So Polaris wants to make there helmets like most of the new sleds this year unaffordable. Bluetooth, speakers, batteries ahh yup pass. I don’t need a over weight over priced $800 helmet full of a bunch of gadgets that block out one of the best parts of riding the engine sound. I got a snocross helmet this year loved it probably won’t ever go back to my hjc full face unless it’s really cold.

58 minutes ago, Doug said:

My wife always had no problem keeping up when we rode together.  She got thrown off her sled 2 years ago and broke some ribs.  Ever since then she still rides good but would do better if I put a piece of tape over the speedometer.  

Mine is lucky to hit 45 on a long, straight, open stretch. So, no real worries there. I am more concerned with assholes hitting her. That’s why she doesn’t trail ride much. Just unmarked stuff for the most part these days. 

8 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Mine is lucky to hit 45 on a long, straight, open stretch. So, no real worries there. I am more concerned with assholes hitting her. That’s why she doesn’t trail ride much. Just unmarked stuff for the most part these days. 

Funny story.  Years ago I use to do a lot of radar runs.  I had top speed in trail stock.   A friend of mine blew his track in improved so I was helping him change the track in his trailer.  Some other freinds of mine talked my wife into registering my sled under a fake name and had her run my sled without me knowing and she beat my top speed.  We went up afterwords and I'm looking and now I'm in 2nd place and have no idea who this girl is.  I take my 2nd place trophy still wondering who beat me.  As they announce the name my wife walks up to except thr trophy and all my buddies are laughing their asses off.  She still has that trophy.

• Like 2

This was the second season with an Oxygen helmet.  Was time to retire the BV2S after 12 seasons of riding with it.  The thing always worked flawlessly but I just got tired of the mask and after trying on an Oxygen was ready to switch it out.  First season we did not have any really cold riding days, everything at or above zero.  This year we had the week of solid -20 and one day of -30 riding and it worked really well.  The only part that sucks about it was the flip down tinted lense.  It frosted up on subzero days.  

Yes, it's heated and yes it cost $600 which is fucking ridiculous but when I paid $350 for my BV2S all those years ago I thought the exact same thing and don't regret spending the cash.  The sport is crazy expensive but far cheaper than hookers and blow...

9 hours ago, jdsky said:

This was the second season with an Oxygen helmet.  Was time to retire the BV2S after 12 seasons of riding with it.  The thing always worked flawlessly but I just got tired of the mask and after trying on an Oxygen was ready to switch it out.  First season we did not have any really cold riding days, everything at or above zero.  This year we had the week of solid -20 and one day of -30 riding and it worked really well.  The only part that sucks about it was the flip down tinted lense.  It frosted up on subzero days.  

Yes, it's heated and yes it cost $600 which is fucking ridiculous but when I paid $350 for my BV2S all those years ago I thought the exact same thing and don't regret spending the cash.  The sport is crazy expensive but far cheaper than hookers and blow...

I don't like my helmet being tethered to the sled never have.  I know the Oxygen helmet has the magnetic tether on the back do you need the helmet tethered all the time even on warm days.  One of the guys I ride with said it would start fogging up even on warm days if you didn't tether it but he was the only one to say that.

Agree that having to tether it every time is a bit of a negative as this is a first for me as well but the magnetic system works slick and is easy.  I am still getting used to it and forget it from time to time but know right away because the helmet will begin to freeze up pretty fast.  It would have to be fairly warm out to not need it plugged in.  Somewhere above 25 degrees and it would be ok but then any lid on the market works on warm days.  My test is when it's -20F or colder.  I would never own any helmet that cannot stay frost free in that weather because those are the days when most just stay home.  Always the best riding.

• 1 year later...

bumping this up as I'm starting to look for a new lid... for warmer day (10-33F) riding.

don't want MX lid and goggles - but am interested in the CKX Titan 

have looked at the CKX Mission - idk?

wish Klim made a winter style Krios....

will be keeping my trusty old A/C TXI lid for cold days which never fogs, has a great visor is very warm and is literally a bowling ball as far as weight

I've worn the Titan down to -30F and not a cold spot to be found.  Bought the carbon one, it's super light and comfy but you will need a smaller size than you think.  I wear a 7 3/4 baseball cap, but a L Titan fits.  The XL was too big.  

Edited by Deephaven
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
18 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

bumping this up as I'm starting to look for a new lid... for warmer day (10-33F) riding.

don't want MX lid and goggles - but am interested in the CKX Titan 

have looked at the CKX Mission - idk?

wish Klim made a winter style Krios....

will be keeping my trusty old A/C TXI lid for cold days which never fogs, has a great visor is very warm and is literally a bowling ball as far as weight

I just picked up a Mission Carbon Electric on Sat.

Ill run my 509 Delta with goggles for warm days. It was just too drafty for cold days even with the shield. 

D2FB85CA-BEC2-45B0-A761-4C35C0978F62.jpeg